The Schools Stomping Out Type 2 Diabetes event was an entire carnival, almost as big as the length of its name. Other activities besides the 5K included mountain bike races, a one-mile fun run, Zumba, music, and kickball. The 5K race, though, was the first event of the morning, scheduled for an 8:30am start. Slupecki bolted into the lead almost immediately. After 800 meters he was already 50 meters ahead and continuing to pull away. Behind him, Peter Kaus and Hunter Scott vied for second. Kaus had been the 2011 Diabetes 5K runner up, and Scott is one of Slupecki's teammates at Lincoln High. Scott broke contact with Kaus, leading the latter by forty meters halfway through the race. During the second half of the race, though, Scott dropped out, leaving Kaus alone in second, and at times 200 meters ahead of the next runner. Slupecki went on to win in a course record 16:47. Kaus was almost caught, but hung on to the runner-up spot, a few steps ahead of Sheryl Rosen. Michael Kennett was fourth in 19:20.
The women's entries included 2011's defending champion, Kelly Stevens, but it also included Sheryl Rosen. The two ran together during the first mile, leading the women's field. By halfway through the race, though, Rosen had slipped ahead of Stevens, opening up a three-second gap. The second half of the race was all Rosen's, as she continued to increase her margin over Stevens. Rosen's winning time of 19:13 set a new course record for women, breaking the old record of 19:17 set in 2010 by Shannon Coates. Stevens was the next woman across the finish line, placing sixth overall in 19:36.
Slupecki's 16:47 and Rosen's 19:13 were not the only records established at the 2012 Schools Stomping Out Type 2 Diabetes 5K. The 257 finishers in the race was also a new record for the event. The Diabetes 5K just might outgrow Tom Brown Park's Goose Pond Trail one of these years.
Top Ten Men, 2012 Diabetes 5K
- 16:47 ~ Jacob Slupecki (M, 18) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:12 ~ Peter Kaus (M, 27) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:20 ~ Michael Kennett (M, 38) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:35 ~ Mike LaBossiere (M, 45) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:58 ~ Zach De Vean (M, 24) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:12 ~ Luke Liles (M, 16) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:20 ~ Brad Diesburg (M, 31) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:42 ~ Dustin Rhodes (M, 27) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:48 ~ John Dascomb (M, 28) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:52 ~ Duane Evans (M, 44) Tallahassee, FL
Top Ten Women, 2012 Diabetes 5K
- 19:13 ~ Sheryl Rosen (F, 27) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:36 ~ Kelly Stevens (F, 30) Tallahassee, FL
- 21:41 ~ Kate Chunka (F, 29) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:32 ~ Marietta Colberg (F, 40) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:28 ~ Brittany Hilliker (F, 21) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:35 ~ Fran Mclean (F, 54) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:53 ~ Michelle Tigue (F, 23) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:56 ~ Ana Wallace (F, 12) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:59 ~ Karima Anderson (F, 25) Tallahassee, FL
- 24:03 ~ Krista Killius (F, 48) Tallahassee, FL
|Schools Stomping Out Type 2 Diabetes 5K Winners, 2010-2012|
|27 Feb 2010||17:40, Jared Black||19:17, Shannon Coates||217|
|26 Feb 2011||17:30, Jacob Slupecki||21:23, Kelly Stevens||229|
|25 Feb 2012||16:47, Jacob Slupecki||19:13, Sheryl Rosen||257|
- Complete results of the 2012 Schools Stomping Out Type 2 Diabetes 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2012 Schools Stomping Out Type 2 Diabetes 5K (Part 1)
- More photos of the 2012 Schools Stomping Out Type 2 Diabetes 5K (Part 2)
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2012 Schools Stomping Out Type 2 Diabetes 5K
- 2011 story, "Slupecki and Stevens stomp to victory in Tom Brown Park"
- 2010 story, "Black and Coates stomp the competition"
- Find a race to combat your least favorite disease on the Trouble Afoot! calendar