The race started in the middle of the state office complex on Esplanade Way just after 8:30 AM. By half a mile into the 3.1-mile run, during a long climb up the hill on Merchants Row Boulevard, three runners were out in front of the rest of the field. Tallahassee master runner Michael Martinez was one of the three, and 2011 FSECC 5K champion Gary Droze was another. The third was an unfamiliar kinky-haired runner in Dolfin shorts that looked more than anything like an apparition from the pages of a 1977 copy of Runner's World. Closer inspection revealed that he wasn't a member of the Boogie Nights Track Club. It was the FSECC 5K defending champion, Bryan Koon, wearing a wig and a somewhat dated running outfit. The race was being run on Halloween, after all.
After topping the hill, Droze and Koon dropped Martinez while running through the Southwood Town Center. Droze was able to lose the bewigged Koon on the way down from the Town Center to the Central Park Lake.
"The wig did add some air resistance," admitted Koon after the race.
By the halfway point Droze was in control of the race, and stayed that way through the second half, reaching the finish line first in 16:56. Martinez closed on Koon during the second half of the race, but Koon held on to second place with a 17:22. Martinez was third in 17:26.
The first three men had all been master runners, but youth ruled on the women's side, starting with the 26-year-old women's champion, Renee Cox. Running with a touch of the flu, Cox led the women's field for nearly the entire race to finish as first female in 20:09. Juanita Chalmers overtook two-time FSECC 5K women's champion, Brook Pace, during the second half of the race to take the women's runner-up spot, finishing 14th overall in 21:34. Pace was close behind in 15th at 21:39.
Top Ten Males, 2013 FSECC 5K
- 16:56 ~ Gary Droze (M, 52)
- 17:22 ~ Bryan Koon (M, 41)
- 17:26 ~ Michael Martinez (M, 47)
- 18:40 ~ Reikan Lin (M, 23)
- 19:19 ~ Thomas Konrad (M, 46)
- 19:24 ~ Bill McNulty (M, 55)
- 19:30 ~ Tim Unger (M, 54)
- 19:32 ~ Christopher Cobb (M, 33)
- 20:05 ~ Drew Fulcher (M, 21)
- 20:48 ~ Darryl Griffin (M, 31)
Top Ten Females, 2013 FSECC 5K
- 20:09 ~ Renee Cox (F, 26) Tallahassee, FL
- 21:34 ~ Juanita Chalmers (F, 31)
- 21:39 ~ Brook Pace (F, 34)
- 22:09 ~ Melissa Hooke (F, 35)
- 23:27 ~ Maria Merrill (F, 32)
- 23:35 ~ Sarah Cox (F, 25)
- 24:48 ~ Loranne Ausley (F, 50)
- 25:15 ~ Rachelle Ashmore (F, 34)
- 25:18 ~ Tiffany Hersey (F, 23)
- 25:31 ~ Ellen Pulido (F, 46)
|Recent champions of the FSECC 5K, 2008-2013|
|20 NOV 2008||18:15, Tim Unger||21:31, Brook Pace|
|5 NOV 2009||17:56, Kevin Sweeney||21:06, Kelly Stevens|
|4 NOV 2010||16:38, Matt Dobson||22:12, Brook Pace|
|10 NOV 2011||16:46, Gary Droze||19:50, Stephanie Liles|
|29 NOV 2012||17:06, Bryan Koon||20:47, Stephanie Liles|
|31 OCT 2013||16:56, Gary Droze||20:09, Renee Cox|
- Complete results of the 2013 FSECC 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2013 FSECC 5K
- 2012 story, "Koon and Liles precede work with a win"
- 2011 story, "Neither Droze nor Liles show charity in FSECC 5K wins"
- 2010 story, "Dobson and Pace finish first at a foggy FSECC 5K"
- 2009 story, "Kevin Sweeney wins FSECC 5K"
- Tallahassee's fastest 5K runs for 2013 before the FSECC 5K.
- If there's another Thursday race coming up in the Tallahassee region, you'll find it here: