“There were a lot of turns. I felt like a snake,” remarked Garcia after running the 2014 Firecracker 5K through the park.
Garcia may have found the serpentine nature of the course disagreeable, but he still won that race. The Florida State University student also won the Tulip Trot 5K in Cascades Park on Saturday morning, 30 January 2016. At that race Garcia went 16:47, faster than anyone else has ever run in the park. Maybe Cascades Park is starting to grow on him.
The Tulip Trot 5K started just after 9:00 AM. Garcia was out front right after the start with Vince Molosky a few steps behind. Grady Smith and Maclay School cross country coach Gary Droze followed a little farther back. Smith and Droze soon dropped off the pace, content to debate third place between themselves. Molosky stayed within a few seconds of Garcia for the first half of the race, but Garcia broke away during the second half. During the fourth and fifth kilometer Garcia widened the gap, getting more than 100 meters ahead of Molosky. Garcia crossed the finish line first in 16:47, with Molosky taking second in 17:14. Grady Smith dropped Gary Droze during the second half of the race to take third in 17:48. Droze finished as the top master in the Tulip Trot, fourth overall in 18:12.
Early in the race the lead in the women's competition seemed up for grabs, with several athletes taking a turn up front before falling back. By the halfway point, though, a group of three runners was setting the pace for the women--Shelby Augustyniak, Sheryl Rosen, and Paula O'Neill.
"We pretty much ran together," said O'Neill, a Tallahassee master runner. "They were chatting all the time and I was breathing hard all the time."
O'Neill took the lead with about 400 meters to go, as the runners rounded Boca Chuba Pond for the final time. Building on that lead, she went on to take the women's title, finishing fifteenth overall in 23:14. Augustyniak and Rosen were each clocked in 23:22, taking the next two women's spots and placing sixteenth and seventeenth overall. Sophia Sultan was fourth in the women's standings, coming in twentieth overall in 23:38.
240 athletes finished the 2016 Tulip Trot 5K.
Top Ten Men, 2016 Tulip Trot 5K
- 16:47 ~ Joseph Garcia (M, 20)
- 17:14 ~ Vince Molosky (M, 36)
- 17:48 ~ Grady Smith (M, 39)
- 18:12 ~ Gary Droze (M, 54)
- 19:49 ~ Michael Nesius (M, 31)
- 21:26 ~ Michael Cipriano (M, 57)
- 21:54 ~ Eric Schab (M, 26)
- 22:00 ~ Nico Wienders (M, 45)
- 22:07 ~ Michael LaBossiere (M, 49)
- 22:23 ~ Julian Rensen (M, 26)
Top Ten Women, 2016 Tulip Trot 5K
- 23:14 ~ Paula O'Neill (F, 54)
- 23:22 ~ Shelby Augustyniak (F, 39)
- 23:22 ~ Sheryl Rosen (F, 31)
- 23:38 ~ Sophia Sultan (F, 18)
- 23:41 ~ Nancy Proctor (F, 54)
- 23:46 ~ Vaishali Desai (F, 29)
- 23:55 ~ Fran McLean (F, 58)
- 24:00 ~ Jensen Reinert (F, 27)
- 24:04 ~ Lyssa Oberkresser (F, 45)
- 24:46 ~ Erika Follmer (F, 31)
|Tulip Trot 5K winners; 2010, 2011, 2015 and 2016|
|22 May 2010||16:36, Vince Molosky||21:12, Shana Ryberg||318|
|14 May 2011||16:53, Vince Molosky||18:03, Lindsay Zeiler||323|
|31 January 2015||17:53, Trevor Sununu||23:26, Kristi Johnson||202|
|30 January 2016||16:47, Joseph Garcia||23:14, Paula O'Neill||240|
|The 2010 and 2011 Tulip Trot 5K races were held in Tom Brown Park.|
In 2015 and 2016 the Tulip Trot 5K was held in Cascades Park on USATF
certified course FL14149EBM.
- Complete results of the 2016 Tulip Trot 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2016 Tulip Trot 5K
- 2015 story, “Sununu and Johnson tops at the return of the Tulip Trot”
- 2011 story, “Tulip Trot honors for Molosky and Zeiler”
- 2010 story: “Molosky and Ryberg take the Tulip Trot 5K”
- USATF course certification map FL14149EBM for the 2015 Tulip Trot 5K
- More upcoming races, 5K and longer, in the Tallahassee region