Friday, January 22, 2010

Tallahassee joins the Krispy Kreme Challenge circuit

Saturday 23 January 2010 at 1:00pm the Student United Way of Florida State University hosts Tallahassee's first Krispy Kreme Challenge--run two miles, eat twelve Krispy Kreme doughnuts, and then run another two miles to the finish.

Now, I'm no stranger to the zany side of athletics. There are too many witnesses to my involvement with the Hash House Harriers for a denial to do any good, and somehow my name is listed in the results of a few Beer Mile races. So I can't claim to be above the kind of nonsense embodied in the Krispy Kreme Challenge, nor is my stomach too delicate to participate. My excuse is my blood sugar, which isn't steady enough to attempt running after consuming a dozen sticky-sweet pastry rings. I would have a seizure on the third mile, which would make it difficult for me to finish within the one-hour time limit. So if I'm there, I will take your picture but I won't run.

The Krispy Kreme Challenge is the same sort of genera of event as the Beer Mile; i.e., you try to consume something in conjunction with running, while onlookers make bets on whether or not you throw up. The Beer Mile mutated to produce the Milk Mile, an offshoot calculated to allay American discomfort with alcohol. Other mutations include solid food variants, such as the Burrito Mile. The Krispy Kreme Challenge started off as a small event at North Carolina State University in Raleigh in 2004. "A mere 12 participants" lined up for that first challenge, according to the official web site. Yes, the Challenge has grown to have an official web site. And over 5,000 participants. And imitators across the nation, including the Florida State event. The original N.C. State Challenge is a benefit for the North Carolina Children's Hospital. As a charity event for a children's hospital, it's probably better than a running-with-scissors relay. The FSU Challenge is a fundraiser for the United Way.

The race starts in front of Westcott Building, near the intersection of Copeland Street and College Avenue. If you have a poor tolerance for foods with a high glycemic index then steer clear of actually running the Challenge. After all, you can register as a supporter and get a T-shirt anyway.

Links:

1 comment:

  1. Something tells me many of my runner friends would be more likely to do this if it involved beer at the midpoint instead of donuts. BUT, it's for a good cause, it'll be fun, and is sure to have the most - ahem - stomach upset per capita than any run so far in 2010. I'm a slacker (one donut) but I'll be there!!

    ReplyDelete