Sunday, January 10, 2010

Review and Resolve

I try not to write about the blog itself, but traditionally every writer gets at least one "freebie" at the start of the year. You know, the "Year In Review" article. Or column. Or issue. I promise not to milk it too dry.

2009 was my first full calendar year of blogging Trouble Afoot! I always wanted the blog to be mainly about places to run, walk, and cycle--i.e., trails. It was a good year for trails in the Tallahassee area. A number of paved, multi-use trails were built--the Lake Elberta Park Trail, the Lake Henrietta Park Trail, the Martha Wellman Pond Trail, and the first two-mile stretch of the Georgia, Florida, and Alabama Rail Trail. Unfortunately, these aren't connected to a trail network, but maybe someday. The Capital Circle Southeast Trail was also extended to link up with the Tallahassee-St Marks Historic Rail Trail. Off the pavement, Leon County built the Apalachee Regional Park Trail, and work has started on St Marks River State Park. With all that happening, there was always plenty to write about. Maybe too much.

Thus my resolution.

Don't you hate New Year's resolutions? I do. But here's a simple one for Trouble Afoot! I'd like to clear my backlog. With all the great trails in Tallahassee and the places I've visited, I have quite a few trails that I've taken notes on, or taken picture of, but for which I just never quite finished writing a report. So by the end of 2010, I'd like to be done with all of those, including:
  • Mahan Drive Trail
  • Capital Circle Southeast Trail Extension
  • Goose Pond Trail
  • Bear Creek Trails
  • St George Island Bike Path
  • Moultrie Trail
  • Three ascents of Blood Mountain
  • Chiefland to Trenton on the Nature Coast Trail
  • Jacksonville-Baldwin Rail Trail
  • Woody Gap
  • Land Bridge Loop
  • Overlook Loop
  • South Chickamauga Creek Greenway Trail
That would be a good start. And if I fail to keep the resolution, I won't even have to admit it until late December, when it will be too late to possibly finish all that writing. With any luck by then I'll have forgotten all about this and be on to wondering what to do in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment