"This is the first River Run I've missed in years," reflected Cox.
Cox's rivals in Tallahassee distance running may want to take up a collection to pay for Cox's entry into next year's River Run. In lieu of the Jacksonville race, Cox stayed home and ran Tallahassee's Shamrock Scurry 5K, winning that race through the Killearn area in 16:27. The Maclay head track coach, Gary Droze, was the first master in the race, placing fifth overall in 17:09. Wisconsin master runner Carrie Seiberlich took the women's title, finishing 22nd overall in 19:43.
When the race started, though, it was Anthony Stricker and not Cox who jumped out in front of the field. When Stricker faded, Cox and Vince Molosky took over the lead. At about two kilometers, Cox made a move and opened up a gap on Molosky. Meanwhile, Charlie Johnson was running a stalking race. While Cox held on to the lead, Johnson moved up from fourth to pass Nate Kaiser. Then, with a kilometer to go, Johnson passed Molosky to move into second. Molosky wasn't going to take that lying down. While Cox ran in first in 16:27, Johnson and Molosky battled for the runner up spot. In the final stretch Molosky prevailed, 16:36 to 16:38. Kaiser followed in fourth at 16:43.
Leading the women, Carrie Seiberlich and Katie Showman ran almost side-by-side early in the race. Very little changed over the next four kilometers. Less than a kilometer from the finish line it was clear that the women's title would go to either Seiberlich or Showman. Late in the race Seiberlich made her case, pulling away from Showman to win 19:43 to 19:52. Behind them, Thomasville master runner Mary Anne Grayson took third among the women, finishing 30th overall in 20:22.
The Shamrock Scurry 5K has been run in Killearn since 1981, but not quite annually. There have been a couple of hiatuses over the years, but the current incarnation of the race has been held every March since 2010. 598 athletes finished the run this year, many of whom enjoyed a post-race pancake and sausage breakfast, courtesy of Killearn United Methodist Church.
Top Ten Men, 2012 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- 16:27 ~ Stephen Cox (M, 28)
- 16:36 ~ Vince Molosky (M, 32)
- 16:38 ~ Charlie Johnson (M, 32)
- 16:43 ~ Nate Kaiser (M, 32)
- 17:09 ~ Gary Droze (M, 50)
- 17:45 ~ Roger Schmidt (M, 20)
- 17:47 ~ Jay Wallace (M, 47)
- 17:52 ~ Stephen Robbins (M, 15)
- 18:07 ~ Anthony Stricker (M, 18)
- 18:18 ~ Tony Guillen (M, 43)
Top Ten Women, 2012 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- 19:43 ~ Carrie Seiberlich (F, 40)
- 19:52 ~ Katie Showman (F, 30)
- 20:22 ~ Mary Anne Grayson (F, 46)
- 20:53 ~ Kayla Stricker (F, 17)
- 20:55 ~ Jennifer Kilinski (F, 33)
- 20:57 ~ Kristine Cox (F, 34)
- 21:01 ~ Cara Lavier (F, 34)
- 21:20 ~ Marietta Colberg (F, 40)
- 21:23 ~ Kate Chunka (F, 29)
- 21:38 ~ Christie Stricker (F, 16)
|Shamrock Scurry 5K winners, 2010-2012|
|15 March 2010||17:25, Jay Wallace||21:03, Anna Busby|
|12 March 2011||18:14, Peter Kaus||19:35, Sheryl Rosen|
|10 March 2012||16:27, Stephen Cox||19:43, Carrie Seiberlich|
- Complete results of the 2012 Shamrock Scurry 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2012 Shamrock Scurry 5K (Part 1)
- More photos of the 2012 Shamrock Scurry 5K (Part 2)
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2012 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- 2011 story, "No 'Luck of the Irish' needed for either Kaus or Rosen at Scurry"
- 2010 story, "Wallace and Busby Scurry to Wins"
- USATF course certification map of the Shamrock Scurry 5K (FL10021EBM)
- Find your next race in the Tallahassee region on the Trouble Afoot! calendar