There's no denying that. Lucia has competed on the USAFE Marathon Team, and on 26 October 2014 he posted a 3:00:34 at the Marine Corps Marathon. But on 6 December 2014, the Odenton, Maryland, resident settled for half of the Phidippidean distance. That morning he won the sixth annual Run For The Redfish Half Marathon in Panama City Beach, Florida, covering the 13.1 miles in 84:42. Panama City Beach master runner and triathlete David Shearon finished runner up in 87:33. Former (Pennsylvania) Lakeland High cross country runner Tim Von Storch took time out from duties at Tyndall AFB to race 88:39, placing third. Niceville High junior Elijah Schneidewind, just four weeks after his last race of the 2014 cross-country season, took fourth in the Redfish, sneaking under 90 minutes with an 89:59.
Like Ryan Lucia, Lindsey Smith of Destin, Florida, has also raced the Marine Corps Marathon, clocking a 3:34:59 on the streets of Washington DC in 2013. And like Lucia, Smith was in Panama City Beach for the 2014 Redfish Half Marathon. Smith took the women's title at the Redfish, running a 95:59 and finishing 11th overall. The women's runner-up spot went to Jessica Berschwinger of Voorheesville, New York, 16th overall in 98:14. Former Air Force Academy soccer standout Leah Bratt placed third in the women's standings, finishing 22nd overall in 99:34. Holly Jones of Lynn Haven, Florida, was the fourth female finisher, 27th overall in 1:41:16. Tallahassee's Angela Wable was the fifth woman and the first woman master, 28th overall in 1:41:06.
386 athletes finished the 2014 Run For The Redfish Half Marathon, more than any other year in the six-year history of the race.
Top Ten Men, 2014 Run For The Redfish Half Marathon
- 1:24:42 ~ Ryan Lucia (M, 36) Odenton, MD
- 1:27:33 ~ David Shearon (M, 44) Panama City Beach, FL
- 1:28:39 ~ Tim Von Storch (M, 21) Panama City, FL
- 1:29:59 ~ Elijah Schneidewind (M, 16) Niceville, FL
- 1:30:46 ~ Don Poston (M, 48) Murfreesboro, TN
- 1:31:35 ~ Trevin Currey (M, 26) Clarksville, TN
- 1:33:53 ~ Aaron Telatovich (M, 33) Pensacola, FL
- 1:34:25 ~ Adam Lewis (M, 30) Panama City, FL
- 1:34:37 ~ Russell Simmons (M, 34) Pine Mountain, GA
- 1:35:41 ~ Blaine Truman (M, 30) Panama City, FL
Top Ten Women, 2014 Run For The Redfish Half Marathon
- 1:35:59 ~ Lindsey Smith (F, 32) Destin, FL
- 1:38:14 ~ Jessica Berschwinger (F, 26) Voorheesville, NY
- 1:39:34 ~ Leah Bratt (F, 22) Fort Rucker, AL
- 1:41:16 ~ Holly Jones (F, 32) Lynn Haven, FL
- 1:41:06 ~ Angela Wable (F, 41) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:42:59 ~ Amy Mann (F, 37) Panama City, FL
- 1:46:05 ~ Lauren Jackson (F, 30) Theodore, AL
- 1:46:39 ~ Mallory Kirkland (F, 28) Atlanta, GA
- 1:46:43 ~ Georgia Izard (F, 26) Birmingham, AL
- 1:47:33 ~ Jessie Nearhoof (F, 26) Murrells Inlet, SC
|Run For The Redfish Half-Marathon winners, 2009 - 2014|
|5 December 2009||78:52, Kristoffer Chacon||87:37, Hadley Nyquist||243|
|4 December 2010||79:18, Andrew Norton||86:59, Hadley Nyquist||273|
|3 December 2011||74:07, Aaron Caldwell||88:14, Line Lauritsen||350|
|1 December 2012||81:11, Clayton Honaker||94:43, Kristin Ader||327|
|7 December 2013||84:17, Mickey Moore||99:29, Dena Page||368|
|6 December 2014||84:42, Ryan Lucia||95:59, Lindsey Smith||386|
- Complete results of the 2014 Run For The Redfish Half Marathon
- 2013 story, "Moore and Page take 2013 Run For The Redfish"
- 2012 story, "No half-fast half-marathon for Honaker and Ader at Redfish"
- 2011 story, "Baker Wildcats net Redfish honors in half marathon"
- 2010 story, "Norton and Nyquist nail the Run For The Redfish Half Marathon"
- Run For The Redfish website
- USATF course certification map for the Run For The Redfish Half Marathon
- Choose your next race from the latest schedule at Trouble Afoot!