The meet opened with the girls' race at 6:00PM; the boys got their turn at the starting line at 6:30. By the end of the first kilometer the dust had settled from the initial stampede, and Raa's Evan Francis was out in front, a couple of seconds ahead of Adam Wallenfelsz of Montford. After a trip through the piney woods Francis had five seconds on Adam Wallenfelsz, while the Montford runner was shadowed by a group of four athletes--Shawn Nerney (Deerlake), Alex Holm (Cobb), Aiden Sailor (Montford), and Dylan Price (Deerlake). During the second half of the race, Francis opened an ever wider gap on the field and Adam Wallenfelsz dropped out of contention. Nerney and Price shrugged off Sailor and Holm, then, running side by side, fought for second place. Francis went on to win by nearly 50 meters in 11:42, and Nerney outkicked his teammate Price for the runner-up spot, 11:52 to 11:53. Behind them, Raa's James Dodson had worked his way up from twelfth place at the end of the first kilometer to finish fourth.
The Montford boys had earned wins at Fort Braden and the Owl Run, but those victories had been led by top ten performances by Adam Wallenfelsz. Even so, Montford's depth kept the team in the contest. Raa, Montford and Swift Creek each had two runners in the top ten and four in the top twenty (five in the case of Montford), but it was Raa with low score of 58 and the 2011 league championship. Montford took the runner-up trophy home with 62 points. Swift Creek, winners of the 2011 season opener at Tom Brown Park, settled for third with 69.
Boys Team Standings
- Raa Middle School, 58 points
- Montford Middle School, 62
- Swift Creek Middle School, 69
- Deerlake Middle School, 97
- Fairview Middle School, 108
- Cobb Middle School, 147
- Griffin Middle School, 160
- Fort Braden Middle School, 243
Top Ten Boys
- 11:41.25 ~ Evan Francis (Raa) 8
- 11:52.00 ~ Shawn Nerney (Deer Lake)
- 11:52.92 ~ Austin Dodson (Deer Lake)
- 11:56.61 ~ James Dodson (Raa) 8
- 11:59.88 ~ Alex Holm (Cobb) 8
- 12:03.81 ~ Aiden Sailor (Montford) 8
- 12:13.62 ~ Irfan Kovankaya (Swift Creek) 8
- 12:23.55 ~ Jackson McKnight (Montford) 8
- 12:31.98 ~ Troy Monroe (Swift Creek) 8
- 12:34.41 ~ Kyle Kincey (Fairview)
- Complete results of the 2011 LCS Middle School Championship at flrunners.com
- Photos of the boys' race at the 2011 LCS Middle School Cross Country Championships
- Girls' race story, "Sheldon leads Swift Creek to victory in the 2011 LCS Meet"
- 2010 story, "Clendinen and Luca lead Raa to LCS Titles"
- Meet #3 of the season, "Nothing damp about Sheldon and Francis's Owl Run victories"
- Meet #2 of the season, "Sheldon leads Swift Creek to title at Fort Braden"
- Schedule your next cross-country or road race using the Trouble Afoot! calendar