About 150 girls lined up for the 6:00PM start of the race. At the sound of the starting siren they charged east across the first field. By the end of the first kilometer, Swift Creek's Cheyenne Hildinger was leading the runners on the crushed-shell trail along the moat, with Ana Wallace of Deerlake and Zoe Sheldon of Swift Creek about four seconds back. Half a kilometer later, after the race had wound through the Piney Woods and turned back west, Hildinger maintained her lead, but Sheldon moved up into sole possession of second, while Deerlake's Alex Wallace was now running in fourth place. Early in second mile Sheldon grabbed the lead, and proceeded to run away from Hildinger and rest of the field. In the end, Sheldon beat Hildinger going away, 13:24 to 13:34. Alex Wallace passed Ana Wallace late in the race to take third, 13:47 to 13:49. Swift Creek put two more runners, Katie Jones (6th, 14:07) and Sydney Aparicio (9th, 14:15), in the top ten, then sealed their 31-point victory with a 13th-place finish by Asta Hemenway. Led by Jewels Krueger (8th, 14:13), Montford placed runner-up with 77 points, while Alex and Ana Wallace's performances set up Deerlake's third-place score of 91 points. Defending champion Raa Middle School placed fourth with 98.
This was the second straight year that the Leon County Schools' middle school championship meet was held on the Apalachee Regional Park Trail, which was first opened in 2009. The girls' championship race was followed at 6:30PM by the boys' championship race.
Girls Team Standings
- Swift Creek Middle School, 31
- Montford Middle School, 77
- Deer Lake Middle School, 91
- Raa Middle School, 98
- Fairview Middle School, 102
- Cobb Middle School, 153
- Fort Braden Middle School, 185
- Griffin Middle School, 240
Top Ten Girls
- 13:23.09 ~ Zoe Sheldon (Swift Creek) 7
- 13:33.58 ~ Cheyenne Hildinger (Swift Creek) 6
- 13:46.34 ~ Alexandra Wallace (Deer Lake) 8
- 13:48.33 ~ Ana Wallace (Deer Lake) 6
- 13:59.83 ~ Audrey Dogan (Raa) 7
- 14:06.36 ~ Katie Jones (Swift Creek) 7
- 14:11.11 ~ Olivia Cone (Raa) 7
- 14:12.69 ~ Jewels Krueger (Montford)
- 14:14.48 ~ Sydney Aparicio (Swift Creek) 7
- 14:23.34 ~ Grace Lockhart (Cobb) 8
- Complete results of the 2011 LCS Middle School Championship at flrunners.com
- Photos of the girls' race at the 2011 LCS Middle School Cross Country Championships
- Boys' race story, "Francis goes 4-0 while Raa boys win when it counts"
- 2010 story, "Clendinen and Luca lead Raa to LCS Titles"
- Meet #3 of the season, "Nothing damp about Sheldon and Francis's Owl Run victories"
- Meet #2 of the season, "Sheldon leads Swift Creek to title at Fort Braden"
- Schedule your next cross-country race using the Trouble Afoot! calendar