The 3.1-mile event started at 8:15 AM on Labor Day, Monday, September 3. Florida State University School cross-country coach Brian Griffith jumped out into the lead as the runners headed west on Easterwood, then north on Weems Road. The Hurricane 5K defending champion, Stanley Linton, was only a step or two behind. Half a mile into the race, when the runners had turned east onto the Goose Pond Trail, Griffith and Linton were running side by side with a 40-yard lead on the rest of the field. The gap got wider over the next mile as the two runners tested each other, making slight surges then backing off when their rival responded. Then, just past the halfway mark, Griffith stiffened the pace and Linton failed to answer. Griffith pressed his advantage on the uphill stretch from the Goose Pond Trail back up to Easterwood Drive, and with half a mile to go he was 50 yards in front of Linton. It was all Griffith after that, and the high school coach arrived back at the Red Cross building well ahead of Linton, 16:33 to 16:48. Master runner Bryan Koon took third in 17:12.
It was Griffith's second Hurricane 5K and Linton's third, but in the women's competition Sheryl Rosen had never raced the Hurricane 5K before. Lack of experience wasn't a handicap, though. Rosen was never challenged for the lead on her way to claiming the 2012 Hurricane 5K women's title, setting an event record of 18:12 and finishing almost 700 yards ahead of the defending champion and runner up, Katie Showman. Showman placed 19th overall in 20:49. The third female finisher was Kristine Cox, 22nd in 21:03. Lori Abbey was the top woman master, running 23:34 for 52nd overall. Abbey was the tenth female finisher.
Top Ten Males, 2012 Hurricane 5K
- 16:33 ~ Brian Griffith (M, 27)
- 16:48 ~ Stanley Linton (M, 18)
- 17:12 ~ Bryan Koon (M, 40)
- 17:49 ~ Peter Kaus (M, 28)
- 18:37 ~ Patrick Dawson (M, 21)
- 19:04 ~ Geb Kiros (M, 46)
- 19:16 ~ Austin Todd (M, 27)
- 19:39 ~ David Harrell (M, 27)
- 19:46 ~ James Taylor (M, 48)
- 20:02 ~ Anthony Mahoney (M, 17)
Top Ten Females, 2012 Hurricane 5K
- 18:12 ~ Sheryl Rosen (F, 28)
- 20:49 ~ Katie Showman (F, 30)
- 21:03 ~ Kristine Cox (F, 35)
- 21:20 ~ Elizabeth Santoro (F, 18)
- 21:50 ~ Angela Wable (F, 38)
- 22:18 ~ Anna Busby (F, 22)
- 22:33 ~ Molly Mccann (F, 13)
- 23:00 ~ Melissa Hooke (F, 34)
- 23:02 ~ Andrea Duffy (F, 36)
- 23:34 ~ Lorien Abbey (F, 44)
|Robin Lotane Memorial Hurricane 5K champions, 2008-2012|
|6 September 2008||15:53, Chris Lake||20:02, Kelsey Scheitlin|
|7 September 2009||15:54, Chris Lake||19:02, Sarah Docter-Williams|
|6 September 2010||14:54, Nate Brannen||18:53, Lisa Johnson|
|5 September 2011||17:06, Stanley Linton||19:24, Katie Showman|
|3 September 2012||16:33, Brian Griffith||18:12, Sheryl Rosen|
|From 2008 to 2011, the race was held in Southwood. In 2012 the Red|
Cross moved the Hurricane 5K to the Tom Brown Park area.
- Complete results of the 2012 Robin Lotane Memorial Hurricane 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2012 Robin Lotane Memorial Hurricane 5K (Part 1)
- More photos of the 2012 Robin Lotane Memorial Hurricane 5K (Part 2)
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2012 Robin Lotane Memorial Hurricane 5K
- 2011 story, "Linton and Showman storm to Hurricane 5K wins"
- 2010 story, "Brannen and Johnson breeze to wins at Hurricane 5K"
- 2009 story, "Another win for Chris Lake at the Red Cross Hurricane 5K"
- Mo' races