Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A surfeit of running photos

About four years ago I started drifting into running photography. It started out with taking pictures of friends at road races, then everyone at road races, and then it spread into cross country. Last week I even tried taking pictures at a track meet.

However, when I started out, I decided to put my photos on Facebook. Unlimited storage, a nice interface, and the photo tagging and commenting features sold me on the site. Picture quality was not the best, and the limit of sixty photos per album was artificial and slightly restrictive, but it was something you could live with.

Now, I don't get into the "new-facebook-versus-old-facebook" debates, because nothing can say is going to influence which version of Facebook is released. All the shouting is not only futile, but it gets tiresome the second or third time around, which is how many "new Facebooks" there have been already. However, I'm getting annoyed that every time there is a "new Facebook," all my photo album URLs change. Fixing dozens of dead links is never fun.

But I've broken down and done it, at least for my running photos. Maybe I'll also do it for the hiking pictures. Or maybe I'll just change photo sites. In the event that anyone is interested, here are all my albums of athletics photos going back to 2005:







3 comments:

  1. Herb,

    I read your thing about Facebook and photos and let me just put in my two-cents about why I post none of my pictures on Facebook anymore.
    1. Unless Facebook has adjusted their privacy policy, once anything is posted to Facebook, they have proprietor rights to the content. This can be troublesome if you want to try and sell an image that someone can just download from FB. This brings me to;
    2. Facebook has no content controls that allow you to prevent people from downloading your content. Don't think that is important..hop over to Photo.net and search for "Stolen pictures". Plenty of artists lose their images to shady companies all the time, with no financial compensation.

    I'm not saying you shouldn't used FB for your photos, but I think you might want to consider the long-term ramifications of it. You have a blogger account so you must have Google, check out Picassa, it does have download prevention and copyright information available. I'm not saying it's the only choice, but it is a choice. Best of luck!

    P.S. What type of camera have you got now? Yes, I'm being a gear whore!

    -Harley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm usually embarrassed to admit that I've been using a succession of point-and-shoot cameras, most recently a Canon A720IS. But I feel better when I remember I've been at cross-country meets and seeing some guy using an SLR body with a telephoto lens as long as my arm...and taking pictures directly into the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahaha,

    Oh that is so true.. the equipment the photographer does not make! You can take great pictures with most Point and Shoots today so no shame in that game. Nice photos, good compositions and quick captures. Keep shooting!

    ReplyDelete