Back on a less cosmic scale, Chipley celebrated the 56th annual Panhandle Watermelon Festival this year, which included the 34th annual Hot Trot on Saturday, 23 June 2012, a 5K race that started from Washington-Holmes Technical Center. Tae Ross, a rising senior and distance runner at Bainbridge High School, set the early pace for a crowded lead group. Midway through the second kilometer there were still six runners in the pack shadowing Ross, including Cedric Gillette of Marianna, Trent McDaniel of Sneads, Jesse McGowan of Cottondale, Tim Teat of Daleville, Shayne Fawcett of Bolivar (Tennessee), and Jordan Green of Morgantown (Kentucky). After three kilometers Ross had faded and the lead group was down to four, with Green out front and Fawcett, McGowan, and Gillette in his wake. As Green pushed the pace, Gillette dropped away, and then McGowan. Fawcett, the Tennessee master runner, hung on, staying just a few steps back. But Fawcett stayed a few steps back all the way to the finish line, and Green made it home with the win in 17:21. At 17:23, Fawcett was the runner-up and first master. Marianna High School's McGowan took third in 17:35 and Gillette was fourth in 17:56. Early leader Ross ended up fifth in 18:28.
Kristina Bokenfohr and Katrina Bokenfohr of Enterprise (Alabama) High School led the women through the first half of the race, but the second half of the race belonged to Brittny Johnson of Jackson, Tennessee. Running past Blakely (Georgia) master runner Debbie Wittmer and the Bokenfohrs, Johnson sped to a 21:02 win in the women's division. Close to 200 meters back, Kristina Bokenfohr was the female runner up, placing 22nd overall in 21:45. Debbie Wittmer was the third woman in and the first woman master, 23rd overall in 22:07. Katrina Bokenfohr was the fourth female finisher, 26th overall in 22:16.
Johnson just finished her second year at Freed-Hardeman University in Henderson, Tennessee, where her athletic career has included softball and soccer, but not cross country. Well, at least not yet.
Top Ten Men, 2012 Hot Trot 5K
- 17:20.25 ~ Jordan Green (M, 21) Morgantown, KY
- 17:22.19 ~ Shayne Fawcett (M, 44) Bolivar, TN
- 17:34.91 ~ Jesse McGowan (M, 17) Cottondale, FL
- 17:55.74 ~ Cedric Gillette (M, 31) Marianna, FL
- 18:27.80 ~ Tae Ross (M, 17) Bainbridge, GA
- 18:39.45 ~ Myles Gibson (M, 46) Donalsonville, GA
- 18:47.51 ~ Klyne Fawcett (M, 20) Bolivar, TN
- 18:51.44 ~ Trent McDaniel (M, 18) Sneads, FL
- 19:08.26 ~ Tim Teat (M, 27) Daleville, AL
- 19:15.83 ~ Jeff Armstrong (M, 36) Tallahassee, FL
Top Ten Women, 2012 Hot Trot 5K
- 21:01.10 ~ Brittny Johnson (F, 20) Jackson, TN
- 21:44.61 ~ Kristina Bokenfohr (F, 17)
- 22:06.37 ~ Debbie Wittmer (F, 49) Blakely, GA
- 22:15.82 ~ Katrina Bokenfohr (F, 17)
- 22:41.59 ~ Heather Hingson (F, 36) Chipley, FL
- 23:39.82 ~ Judy Alexander (F, 50) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:51.63 ~ Jill Wofsey (F, 49) Alford, FL
- 24:21.21 ~ Val Lichner (F, 53) Bonifay, FL
- 24:52.78 ~ Andreas Weckherlin (F, 36) Panama City, FL
- 25:04.91 ~ Kimberly Tuel (F, 36) Chipley, FL
- Complete results of Chipley's 2012 Hot Trot 5K
[ Anyone seen any? ]
- More photos of Chipley's 2012 Hot Trot 5K
- Map of Chipley's 2012 Hot Trot 5K course
- 2011 story, "Dobson and Bennett turn the heat on the competition at the Hot Trot"
- Melons, peanuts, corn, cucumbers--if there's a run for it, you'll find it here