For a close race, you had to turn to the women's competition. Valdosta's Alice Smoot and Savannah's Sarah Batt fought all the way to the finish line, contesting both the women's title and the female master's title. At the line it was Smoot, with both runners clocked in the same time of 21:11--a new course record for women. Valdosta's Elizabeth Smith took third in 23:45. Lauren Tosky of Leesburg, a winner at Valdosta's fourth annual Barnes 100 Years 5K seven days earlier, placed fourth among the females in 24:29.
56 athletes finished the third annual Bun Run 5K.
Top Ten Men, 2012 Break Bread Bun Run 5K
- 18:21 ~ Mark McLeod (M, 20) Fitzgerald, GA
- 19:50 ~ Masked Avenger (M, 33) Valdosta, GA
- 20:21 ~ Tyler Thurman (M, 16) Valdosta, GA
- 20:33 ~ Sean McConnell (M, 41) Adel, GA
- 20:50 ~ Rick Mazurkiewicz (M, 45) Valdosta, GA
- 21:26 ~ Will Blanchard (M, 31) Bella Vista, AR
- 22:06 ~ Jackson Williams (M, 29) Willacoochee, GA
- 22:15 ~ Matthew Wells (M, 43) Valdosta, GA
- 23:24 ~ Pat Collins (M, 54) Valdosta, GA
- 23:30 ~ Ian North (M, 29) Atlanta, GA
Top Ten Women, 2012 Break Bread Bun Run 5K
- 21:11 ~ Alice Smoot (F, 55) Valdosta, GA
- 21:11 ~ Sarah Batt (F, 47) Savannah, GA
- 23:45 ~ Elizabeth Smith (F, 34) Valdosta, GA
- 24:29 ~ Lauren Tosky (F, 18) Leesburg, GA
- 25:18 ~ Ashley Tosky (F, 19) Leesburg, GA
- 25:40 ~ Aubrey Suddarth (F, 17) Valdosta, GA
- 25:42 ~ Debbie Green (F, 46) Valdosta, GA
- 26:02 ~ Billie Washburn (F, 50) Valdosta, GA
- 26:35 ~ Martha Mazurkiewicz (F, 44) Valdosta, GA
- 26:54 ~ Rebecca Meindl (F, 36) Valdosta, GA
|Break Bread Bun Run 5K champions, 2010-2012|
|24 July 2010||18:28, Scott Gardner||24:16, Nicole Kump|
|23 July 2011||18:47, Masked Avenger||23:07, Minerva Arreguin|
|21 July 2012||18:21, Mark McLeod||21:11, Alice Smoot|
- Complete results of the 2012 Break Bread Bun Run 5K
- Photos of the 2012 Break Bread Bun Run 5K by Tom Durham
- 2011 story, "Avenger and Arreguin emerge from the Wood Valley Hills as Bun Run Champs"
- 2010 story, "Gardner conquers Valdosta's Wood Valley hills to win the Bun Run 5K"
- Find another baked good race on the Trouble Afoot! calendar