For the 36th time in 36 years, the runners lined up on Broad Street for the start. Dr. Jim Story gave the final instructions, which have by now become traditional:
"I'm going to say, 'on your marks, get set, go.' The mayor is going to fire the gun. If the gun don't fire, you go anyway."
The gun may or may not have fired, but the runners did go. Vince Molosky was fastest off the line leading the field along Broad Street and around the turn onto Smith Avenue. By the time Molosky reached the end of the first mile, though, three runners had closed with him--Chris Lake, Will Stanford, and Zac Buchholz.
Buchholz, a graduating senior at Tallahassee's Leon High School, fell back early in the second mile, leaving the race to the other three athletes. Chris Lake had won the last three Rose City Runs, but this year he was racing just 12 days after finishing the Boston Marathon. Vince Molosky was coming off an even longer run; two weeks earlier he had raced 50K in Torreya State Park, 31 miles over trails. Will Stanford had the opposite problem. He hadn't raced much since graduating from Leon High School in 2011. Rose City was only his third race of 2013.
Nevertheless, near the end of the second mile it was Will Stanford who grabbed the lead going up the hill near Cherokee Lake. He was still out front turning onto Pinetree Boulevard. Molosky dropped back. Chris Lake chased Stanford as best he could.
"I was eight seconds behind Will at four miles," recalled Lake. "But he just got away from me on the hills on Clay Street."
Stanford certainly did get away, stretching his margin to more than a minute over the last two miles. He was alone on Broad Street when he crossed the finish line with the win in 32:52. Lake was runner-up in 33:57, with Molosky third in 34:23. Zac Buchholz hung on to finish fourth in 35:07. David Knauf was the first master runner, finishing eighth overall in 36:59.
Tallahassee lawyer Sheryl Rosen successfully defended her Rose City women's title, leading wire to wire and posting her second-best 10K time ever of 37:08, finishing ninth overall. Renee Cox held the second position in the women's competition during the early miles, but she was overtaken by Thomasville master runner Mary Anne Grayson and by Vicky Droze. Grayson was the second female finisher, placing 25th overall in 41:49. Droze was third across for the women in 42:47, with Cox fourth in 43:05.
409 athletes finished the 2013 Rose City Run 10K. Almost certainly, the Rose City Run will be back for the 37th time on 26 April 2014. Because a Thomasville without its Rose City Run is as hard to imagine as Thomasville without the Big Oak.
Top Ten Males, 2013 Rose City Run 10K
- 32:52 ~ Will Stanford (M, 20) Tallahassee, FL
- 33:57 ~ Chris Lake (M, 25) Tallahassee, FL
- 34:23 ~ Vince Molosky (M, 33) Tallahassee, FL
- 35:07 ~ Zac Buchholz (M, 18) Tallahassee, FL
- 35:32 ~ Wil Luca (M, 16) Tallahassee, FL
- 35:57 ~ Jarod Hoffman (M, 17) Tallahassee, FL
- 36:37 ~ Maxx Marshall (M, 16) Tallahassee, FL
- 36:59 ~ David Knauf (M, 49) Tallahassee, FL
- 37:40 ~ Kevin Sweeny (M, 43) St. Augustine Beach, FL
- 37:41 ~ James Dodson (M, 15) Quincy, FL
Top Ten Females, 2013 Rose City Run 10K
- 37:08 ~ Sheryl Rosen (F, 28) Tallahassee, FL
- 41:49 ~ Mary Anne Grayson (F, 47) Thomasville, GA
- 42:47 ~ Vicky Droze (F, 37) Tallahassee, FL
- 43:05 ~ Renee Cox (F, 25) Tallahassee, FL
- 43:10 ~ Grace Lockhart (F,14) Tallahassee, FL
- 43:13 ~ Autumn Wable (F, 17) Tallahassee, FL
- 43:39 ~ Beth Sweeny (F, 29) St. Augustine Beach, FL
- 44:13 ~ Taylor Benton (F, 21) Thomasville, GA
- 44:37 ~ Cora Atkinson (F, 18) Crawfordville, FL
- 44:46 ~ Micah Adriani (F, 35) Tallahassee, FL
|Rose City Run 10K Champions, 1978-2013|
|29 April 1978||31:25, Gary Slayton||36:45, Janice Hochstein|
|28 April 1979||31:47, Mike Rasper||37:49, Janice Hochstein|
|26 April 1980||31:18, George West||38:14, Colleen Joiner|
|25 April 1981||30:21, Mabry McCray||40:26, Nicole Batchelder|
|1982||30:33, Ernie McKee||38:31, Nicole Batchelder|
|1983||30:47, Noel Shuman||34:57, Darien Andreu|
|1984||33:05, Gary Slayton||37:51, Barbara Balzer|
|27 April 1985||32:36, Rick Miller||37:41, Barbara Balzer|
|26 April 1986||32:05, Rick Miller||37:35, Janice Hochstein|
|1987||29:57, Herb Wills||37:39, Karen MacHarg|
|1988||31:55, Jessie Close||37:59, Karen MacHarg|
|1989||31:39, Jessie Close||36:49, Karen MacHarg|
|1990||31:56, Jessie Close||37:04, Karen MacHarg|
|1991||31:15, Jessie Close||38:33, Vikki Saga|
|1992||33:04, Trent Smith||37:48, Vikki Saga|
|24 April 1993||31:28, Gary Droze||38:24, Vikki Saga|
|23 April 1994||30:19, Robin Rogers||37:37, Lisa Herman|
|29 April 1995||31:52, Jessie Close||35:37, Suzanne Rigg|
|27 Aprl 1996||32:18, Jessie Close||39:37, Carrie Weyant|
|26 April 1997||32:29, Brian Erb||36:40, Sarah Docter-Williams|
|25 April 1998||31:58, Alan Black||36:07, Sarah Docter-Williams|
|24 April 1999||32:21, Alan Black||37:14, Sarah Docter-Williams|
|29 April 2000||34:15, Sean Daniels||35:20, Anna Pichrtova|
|28 April 2001||32:05, Paul Spangler||36:22, Sarah Docter-Williams|
|27 April 2002||30:53, Alan Black||39:35, Jane Johnson|
|26 April 2003||31:58, Matt Kalinski||41:53, Julie Carico|
|25 April 2004||33:44, Jessie Close||39:52, Kate Remillard|
|23 April 2005||33:44, Jessie Close||37:08, Sarah Docter-Williams|
|29 April 2006||34:32, Jessie Close||38:38, Barbara Jarnagin|
|28 April 2007||31:21, Alan Black||39:02, Sheryl Rosen|
|26 April 2008||33:10, Malcolm Campbell||37:40, Donna Garcia|
|25 April 2009||32:34, Nathaniel Haskins||41:38, Mary Anne Grayson|
|24 April 2010||32:51, Chris Lake||37:42, Amy Hines|
|23 April 2011||32:46, Chris Lake||38:58, Donna Garcia|
|28 April 2012||32:51, Chris Lake||36:51, Sheryl Rosen|
|27 April 2013||32:52, Will Stanford||37:08, Sheryl Rosen|
- Complete results of the 2013 Rose City Run 10K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2013 Rose City Run 10K
- Jamie Story's photos of the 2013 Rose City Run 10K
- 2012 story, "Lake and Rosen collect more Rose City titles"
- 2011 story, "Lake and Garcia go for two at Rose City"
- 2010 story, "Lake and Hines beat the storm at Rose City"
- Find the next Rose City Run on the Trouble Afoot! calendar