As it turns out, Vince Molosky was also on the starting line, and he had wrapped up his high school running career somewhat earlier than Davis. Now in Tallahassee, Florida, Molosky had finished running for Amherst High School in Ohio back in 1998. Like Davis, though, he hadn't finished running.
When the race was over, Davis had made a huge improvement on his 2013 Gate-to-Gate showing, when he had finished 70th overall in 29:38. Molosky, on the other hand, ran his slowest Gate-to-Gate of his five appearances in the race. Nevertheless, Molosky finished just short of 200 meters ahead of Tripp Davis, as the former Amherst Comet outran the former Niceville Eagle, winning the Gate-to-Gate in 24:39. Davis was second in 25:20. David Seymour, a staff sergeant stationed at Fort Rucker, Alabama, was third in 25:28. Tallahassee master runners Michael Martinez and Carl Nordhielm took the next two places, with Martinez taking the top master spot in 25:50 and Nordhielm running 25:58.
In the team competition Tallahassee’s Gulf Winds Track Club won the title for the fifth straight year. Molosky led the GWTC squad with his 24:39. GWTC’s Caleb Carmichael was sixth in 26:01, Eric Godin was 14th in 27:01, and Renee Cox was 38th in 29:08, giving the team a winning average of 26:43. A GWTC team of master runners was second, and another GWTC foursome took third in the team competition.
The rules for team competition at Gate-to-Gate require that each four-athlete team include at least one woman. For GWTC’s winning team that woman was Renee Cox. Cox was second in the Gate-to-Gate women’s standings, finishing runner-up to Liane Falk of Eglin. After finishing second to Tallahassee’s Sheryl Rosen at Gate-to-Gate in 2013, this year Falk was the women’s champion, placing 20th overall in 27:25. Tallahassee runner Karen Geletko was third on the women’s side, finishing 43rd overall in 29:38.
The Gate-to-Gate Run hasn’t remained unchanged over 29 years. For one thing, it’s no longer run from one gate of Eglin Air Force Base to another. A few years ago the course was changed to a simple out-and-back to eliminate the problem of transporting hundreds of runners between the starting line and finish line. Also, after 28 years as a Memorial Day run, this year the Gate-to-Gate was staged on the Saturday before Memorial Day. Once again, logistics trumped tradition. But the race is still the odd 4.4-mile length that was determined by the distance between Eglin’s two gates, even if those gates are no longer on the course. And most runners still pause during the race to drop a flower at the All-Veterans Memorial. Some traditions are worth keeping.
Top Ten Men, 2014 Eglin AFB Gate-to-Gate 4.4-Mile Run
- 24:39 ~ Vince Molosky (M, 34) Tallahassee, FL
- 25:20 ~ Tripp Davis (M, 18) Valparaiso, FL
- 25:28 ~ David Seymour (M, 26) Enterprise, AL
- 25:50 ~ Michael Martinez (M, 48) Tallahassee, FL
- 25:58 ~ Carl Nordhielm (M, 51) Tallahassee, FL
- 26:01 ~ Caleb Carmichael (M, 29) Pensacola, FL
- 26:04 ~ Alex Smyth (M, 26) Panama City Beach, FL
- 26:20 ~ Geb Kiros (M, 47) Tallahassee, FL
- 26:25 ~ Carl Schlosser (M, 20) Eglin, FL
- 26:30 ~ Shane Vetter (M, 39) Niceville, FL
Top Ten Women, 2014 Eglin AFB Gate-to-Gate 4.4-Mile Run
- 27:25 ~ Liane Falk (F, 29) Eglin AFB, FL
- 29:08 ~ Renee Cox (F, 26) Tallahassee, FL
- 29:38 ~ Karen Geletko (F, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 29:54 ~ Michele Williams (F, 41) Milton, FL
- 31:33 ~ Lindsey Smith (F, 31) Destin, FL
- 31:52 ~ Kristy James (F, 30) Fate, TX
- 32:17 ~ Kathleen Baker (F, 36) Panama City Beach, FL
- 32:29 ~ Nicole Escoffier (F, 17) Niceville, FL
- 33:39 ~ Sara Steele (F, 18) Ft. Walton Beach, FL
- 33:39 ~ Ivy Nivison (F, 28) Niceville, FL
|Eglin AFB Gate-to-Gate 4.4-Mile Memorial Day Race|
|26 May 1997||22:08, Gary Droze||24:51, Sarah Kramer|
|25 May 1998||22:49, Matt Dobson||25:46, Sarah Docter-Williams||1028|
|31 May 1999||21:25, Rudolf Jun||25:49, Sarah Docter-Williams||1054|
|29 May 2000||21:20, Malcolm Campbell||25:02, Anna Pichrtova||1270|
|28 May 2001||20:56, Michael Green|
|27 May 2002||22:34, Paul Spangler||26:12, Jacqueline Concaugh||1133|
|26 May 2003||21:21, Michael Green||24:35, Jenny Ledford||1117|
|31 May 2004||22:14, Everett Whiteside||25:23, Ann McGranahan||1075|
|30 May 2005||21:54, Joey Zins||23:56, Victoria Gill||1188|
|29 May 2006||23:03, Travis Deutman||25:17, Victoria Gill||1173|
|28 May 2007||22:28, Joey Zins||27:27, Kelly Wild||1373|
|26 May 2008||22:27, Joey Zins||26:42, Anna Hallex||1503|
|25 May 2009||23:31, Matthew Martin||27:24, Ilea Eskildsen||1761|
|31 May 2010||22:14, Ben Payne||26:08, Ilea Eskildsen||1807|
|30 May 2011||24:21, Matt Dobson||25:18, Pasca Cheruiyot||1681|
|28 May 2012||22:06, Ben Payne||26:19, Sheryl Rosen||1637|
|27 May 2013||23:01, Stanley Linton||26:45, Sheryl Rosen||1324|
|24 May 2014||24:39, Vince Molosky||27:25, Liane Falk||1047|
|Monica O'Reilly set the women's course record of 23:33 in 1993.|
I'd like to include winners for 1986 to 1996. Anyone have those results?
- Complete results of the 2014 Eglin AFB Gate-to-Gate Run at Results Event Timing
- Team results of the 2014 Eglin AFB Gate-to-Gate run at Results Event Timing
- 2013 story, "Linton and Rosen fly at Gate-to-Gate"
- 2011 story, "Dobson and Cheruiyot lead GWTC to team title repeat at Gate-to-Gate"
- 2010 story, "Gulf Winds team triumphs at 25th annual Gate-to-Gate Run"
- The Gate-to-Gate isn't in the Tallahassee region, but these upcoming races are: