After the previous week's rains there was some concern that the Lafayette Heritage Trails might be impassably muddy. As it turned out, the trails were in decent shape. Upper Lake Lafayette was the problem.
Upper Lake Lafayette usually isn't a lake. That is, it doesn't often have water in it. This was originally the case with the entire Lake Lafayette basin, which was so well-drained by sinkholes and sloughs leading to the St. Marks River that it was called Prairie Lake. The best and shortest route from Chaires to Tallahassee was to drive across the dry lake bed. This changed for some portions of the lake after World War II, when Piney Z Plantation built impoundment dikes to keep water in Piney Z Lake. Upper Lake Lafayette remained a temporary lake, only filled with water when conditions were unusually wet.
The days before the Tails and Trails were unusually wet.
Upper Lake Lafayette filled up. The water backed up into Conner Creek, covering the bridge leading to the Lafayette Heritage Trail. That same bridge was part of the Tails and Trails 10K course. Whatever the condition of the rest of the trail, some key connections were under water.
It is purely coincidental that this was the thirteenth year for the race. You're not afraid of a number, are you?
Rather than issue a snorkel to each runner, the race committee from the Animal Shelter Foundation scrambled to find a new, mostly paved course. The Tails and Trails was saved.
Matthew Cashin had recently finished his freshman-year track season at Leon High, but he wasn't done running this spring. Cashin won the Tails and Trails 10K, covering the modified 6.2-mile course in 37:04. Tallahassee master runner Tony Guillen finished runner-up in 37:57. Urska Dobersek took the women's title, placing 20th overall in 46:12. Beth Culley was the first woman master, coming in 29th overall in 49:00.
Top Ten Men, 2014 Tails and Trails 10K
- 37:04 ~ Matthew Cashin (M, 14)
- 37:57 ~ Tony Guillen (M, 45)
- 38:30 ~ Eric Godin (M, 30)
- 39:58 ~ Joel Piotrowski (M, 44)
- 40:16 ~ Bryce Cole (M, 15)
- 40:39 ~ Jeffrey Hoh (M, 31)
- 41:17 ~ Travis Parks (M, 18)
- 41:25 ~ David Graf (M, 38)
- 41:37 ~ Jon Mason (M, 40)
- 41:51 ~ Philip Sura (M, 44)
Top Ten Women, 2014 Tails and Trails 10K
- 46:12 ~ Urska Dobersek (F, 31)
- 49:00 ~ Beth Culley (F, 49)
- 49:43 ~ Breanna Schweitzer (F, 20)
- 50:02 ~ Charlee Taylor (F, 35)
- 51:04 ~ Melissa Garner (F, 41)
- 51:46 ~ Marien Dimacali (F, 52)
- 52:35 ~ Lilly Rockwell (F, 30)
- 52:50 ~ Birgit Maier-Katkin (F, 51)
- 53:36 ~ Trinity Costner (F, 27)
- 53:39 ~ Debbie Peters (F, 53)
The Tails and Trails 5K went to another member of the Leon track team, sophomore Adam Wallenfelsz. Wallenfelsz ran 16:53 to win the shorter race. Sara Lane was the top woman, placing tenth overall in 20:55. A recent alumna of Chiles High School, Lane currently studies at Troy University, where she competes on the cross country and track teams. 13th in the women's standings and 47th overall, Jennifer Gonzalez was the top woman master in the race. Gonzalez ran 26:17.
211 athletes finished the Tails and Trail 10K and another 359 competed the 5K. The race is a benefit for the Animal Shelter Foundation of Tallahassee.
Top Ten Men, 2014 Tails and Trails 5K
- 16:53 ~ Adam Wallenfelsz (M, 16)
- 17:56 ~ Josh Wallenfelsz (M, 14)
- 19:19 ~ Lane Williams (M, 18)
- 19:24 ~ Duane Evans (M, 46)
- 20:01 ~ Nathan Adams (M, 30)
- 20:12 ~ Travis Miller (M, 44)
- 20:31 ~ Bryant Lyle (M, 55)
- 20:37 ~ Tad David (M, 45)
- 20:48 ~ Kevin Brumfield (M, 42)
- 21:46 ~ Jonathan Shiver (M, 26)
Top Ten Women, 2014 Tails and Trails 5K
- 20:55 ~ Sara Lane (F, 19)
- 21:35 ~ Andrea Duffy (F, 38)
- 21:45 ~ Brittney Barnes (F, 26)
- 23:18 ~ Mallory Brooks (F, 30)
- 23:18 ~ Emma Travis (F, 15)
- 24:11 ~ Kara Brodley (F, 11)
- 24:25 ~ Julia Rose Travis (F, 15)
- 25:22 ~ Allie Caldwell (F, 23)
- 25:24 ~ Stephanie Aanstoos (F, 24)
- 25:31 ~ Kate Krizner (F, 10)
|"Tails and Trails" 10K and 5K winners, 2002 - 2014|
|30 March 2002||5K||19:49, Tim Bolton||23:06, Carrie Weyant|
|15 March 2003||5K||20:47, Justin Dickieson||24:20, Carrie Weyant|
|20 March 2004||5K||18:56, Gary Droze||23:02, Seeley Lovett|
|19 March 2005||5K||18:51, Mathew Dobson||23:12, Stephanie Liles|
|18 March 2006||10K||37:46, Vince Molosky||46:49, Kim Likens|
|5K||22:06, Roger Michaud||21:48, Stephanie Liles|
|5 May 2007||10K||36:43, Vince Molosky||43:54, Jana Stolting|
|5K||17:31, Tripp Southerland||24:22, Claire Fruchtnicht|
|3 May 2008||10K||37:23, Vince Molosky||41:55, Karen Geletko|
|5K||20:54, Jason Graham||21:57, Katrina Unglaub|
|2 May 2009||10K||35:07, Vince Molosky||41:34, Sheryl Rosen|
|5K||17:24, John Robida||18:59, Kelsey Scheitlin|
|1 May 2010||10K||35:44, Vince Molosky||42:38, Micah Adriani|
|5K||16:37, Ken Youngers||22:13, Lisa Finn|
|30 April 2011||10K||36:41, Vince Molosky||41:06, Heather Griffis|
|5K||17:04, Kevin Sullivan||19:41, Kelly Stevens|
|5 May 2012||10K||34:52, Stanley Linton||41:38, Micah Adriani|
|5K||18:22, Jonathan Grisiaffi||23:00, Stephanie Stout|
|4 May 2013||10K||36:29, Vince Molosky||46:31, Lindsey Pfau|
|5K||16:26, Stanley Linton||19:40, Micah Adriani|
|3 May 2014||10K||37:04, Matthew Cashin||46:12, Urska Dobersek|
|5K||16:53, Adam Wallenfelsz||20:55, Sara Lane|
|From 2002 to 2006 the event was called the "Furry Scurry."|
No 10K was held before 2006.
- Complete results of the 2014 "Tails and Trails" at gulfwinds.org
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2014 "Tails and Trails"
- 2013 story, "Molosky back on top in the 'Tails & Trails' 10K"
- 2012 story, "Linton and Adriani kick tails on the trails"
- 2011 story, "Molosky and Griffis tear up the trails at Tom Brown"
- 2010 story, "Molosky and Adriani best the field at 'Tails and Trails'"
- 2009 story, "2009 'Tails and Trails' 5K / 10K"
- Find an upcoming race on the trails of the Tallahassee region on the Trouble Afoot! calendar http://troubleafoot.blogspot.com/search/label/calendar?max-results=1