His view was shared by many of the runners in the 11 November 2014 race, but Greenstein weathered the hills of downtown Tallahassee better than any other athlete, posting a winning time of 17:44.
The 3.1-mile event started on Park Avenue just west of Gadsden Street at 8:30 AM on Tuesday morning. Once given the command to "Go!", he field plunged downhill, heading east to Franklin Boulevard. Gary Galvez of Capital City Runners led the race south on Franklin toward Cascades Park. Greenstein was several steps behind in second. For him, it wasn't a typical position.
"I usually go out fast and then crash," explained Greenstein. "So this time I tried to run controlled on the first mile."
Before that first mile was over, Greenstein had caught up with Galvez in Cascades Park. After leaving the park, Greenstein took control of the race.
"On the hill up Lafayette Street I started to pull away," he said.
Before Greenstein was done pulling away, he had a lead of well over 300 meters. He crossed the finish line on Gadsden Street near College Avenue first in 17:44. His race plan had worked.
"I think I ran an even pace," said Greenstein. "I usually lead the first mile but not the last mile. This time I tried to do it the other way around."
Galvez hung on to finish second in 18:58.
Third place overall went to the first woman in the race, Katie Sherron. Only eleven days into November, it was already Sherron's third women's win of the month. Her earlier victories had come in two cross-country races at Apalachee Regional Park, including the Trash Dash 5K only three days before VetFest. At the Veterans Day event Sherron had to contend with the VetFest 5K defending women's champion, Renee Cox. Cox set the pace early for the ladies, but Sherron was never far behind. Halfway through the race she attacked.
"At about a mile and a half there was a little downhill," recalled Sherron. "I like to make a move on the downhill."
Sherron broke away, going on to win by nearly 200 meters with a 19:05. Cox was the women's runner up, placing sixth overall in 19:51. Shannon Colavecchio was third in the women's standings, coming in 13th overall in 21:03. Swift Creek Middle School cross-country runners Alyson Churchill and Megan Churchill were the next two finishers in the women's division, 14th in 21:06 and 18th in 21:31.
Mark McCaslin was the fastest master runner in the race, finishing eighth overall in 20:23. Paula O'Neill was the first woman master, 20th overall in 21:57.
For quite some time, the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day was the only holiday race in Tallahassee. In 2013 Capital City Kiwanis brought the Firecracker 5K to the city's Independence Day schedule, and the VetFest 5K has been part of Tallahassee's Veterans Day since 2011. The race is alive and well--191 athletes finished this year's VetFest 5K, the most in the four-year history of the race. Expect to see it on the streets of Tallahassee again on 11 November 2015.
Top Ten Men, 2014 Tallahassee VetFest 5K
- 17:44 ~ Adam Greenstein (M, 27)
- 18:58 ~ Gary Galvez (M, 27)
- 19:09 ~ Jim Halley (M, 35)
- 19:19 ~ Camilo Ordoñez (M, 35)
- 19:57 ~ Charlie Lang (M, 16)
- 20:23 ~ Mark McCaslin (M, 45)
- 20:32 ~ Michael Kennett (M, 41)
- 20:41 ~ Roly Torres (M, 25)
- 20:46 ~ Chuck Lang (M, 49)
- 20:55 ~ Juan Ordoñez (M, 40)
Top Ten Women, 2014 Tallahassee VetFest 5K
- 19:05 ~ Katie Sherron (F, 33)
- 19:51 ~ Renee Cox (F, 27)
- 21:03 ~ Shannon Colavecchio (F, 37)
- 21:06 ~ Alyson Churchill (F, 12)
- 21:31 ~ Megan Churchill (F, 12)
- 21:57 ~ Sarah White (F, 21)
- 21:57 ~ Paula O'Neill (F, 53)
- 23:39 ~ Isabel Anderson (F, 35)
- 23:43 ~ Mercedes Puig (F, 30)
- 24:45 ~ Ami Wheeler (F, 41)
|Tallahassee VetFest 5K winners, 2011-2013|
|14 November 2011||16:20, Alex Smyth||22:50, Sandy Holt||169|
|12 November 2012||19:12, James Taylor||21:34, Kelly Brennan||112|
|11 November 2013||15:57, Chris Rego||20:01, Renee Cox||147|
|11 November 2014||17:45, Adam Greenstein||19:06, Katie Sherron||191|
- Complete results of the 2014 Tallahassee VetFest 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2014 Tallahassee VetFest 5K
- 2013 story, "Veterans Day victories for Chris Rego and Renee Cox"
- 2012 story, "James Taylor and Kelly Brennan cruise at Allen Beal 5K"
- 2011 story, "Veteran's Day victories for Smyth and Holt"
- Find a race to run on the next patriotic holiday using the Trouble Afoot! calendar