Distance running is a bit more democratic. In Tallahassee, Leon County's Apalachee Regional Park Cross Country Course has been the site of many championship races, but you can still go out there just about any time, stride out on the grass, and pretend you're Pat Porter. You can even race on ARPXC in several community events. One of those is the Trash Dash 5K.
The fourth annual Trash Dash 5K came to ARPXC on a chill Saturday morning, 8 November 2014. Zach DeVeau took the lead soon after the 8:30 AM start of the race. DeVeau had won another all-comers 5K at ARPXC just seven days earlier, but this time Roger Schmidt of Capital City Runners was in the race. Schmidt ran down DeVeau, and by the halfway point he had a respectable lead, a lead that continued to widen through the second half of the race. The two front-runners left the rest of the field far behind as Schmidt ran home with a 17:12 win, and DeVeau finished runner-up in 17:40. After running with Schmidt in the early going, Lincoln High sophomore Donnavan Duchene was third in 18:31. Jasen Fulghum took fourth in 19:14.
Unlike Schmidt, Katie Sherron didn't need to make any moves on the second mile. The FSU economics professor led the women's field from start to finish, posting a 20:07 to place fifth overall and take the women's title. Twelve-year-old Maia Mast, a cross-country runner at Cornerstone, was second in the women's standings, coming in 18th overall in 24:55. Ten-year-old Kate Krizner was the third female finisher, 20th overall in 25:16. Just behind Krizner was the fourth female, Martha Bademan, 21st in 25:22.
The fastest master runner in the Trash Dash was Michael La Bossiere. The Florida A & M philosophy professor ran the 3.1-mile cross-country race in 21:25, finishing seventh overall. Fran McLean was the first woman master, placing 27th overall in 27:13.
80 athletes finished the 2014 edition of the Trash Dash.
Top Ten Men, 2014 Trash Dash 5K
- 17:12 ~ Roger Schmidt (M, 23)
- 17:40 ~ Zach DeVeau (M, 27)
- 18:31 ~ Donnavan Duchene (M, 15)
- 19:14 ~ Jasen Fulghum (M, 31)
- 21:14 ~ Jawara Jarrett (M, 23)
- 21:25 ~ Mike La Bossiere (M, 48)
- 22:03 ~ Franz Roeder (M, 15)
- 22:11 ~ Ryan Scolnik (M, 26)
- 22:17 ~ Riley Powell (M, 13)
- 22:32 ~ David Yon (M, 58)
Top Ten Women, 2014 Trash Dash 5K
- 20:07 ~ Katie Sherron (F, 33)
- 24:55 ~ Maia Mast (F, 12)
- 25:16 ~ Kate Krizner (F, 10)
- 25:22 ~ Martha Bademan (F, 30)
- 27:13 ~ Fran McLean (F, 57)
- 28:02 ~ Sondra Lee (F, 46)
- 28:33 ~ Gingy Sampson (F, 50)
- 29:06 ~ Sky Feller (F, 41)
- 29:16 ~ Simone Feller (F, 34)
- 29:34 ~ Amy Prag (F, 0)
|Trash Dash winners, 2011 - 2014|
|19 November 2011||17:53 ~ Brian Corbin||21:28 ~ Sheryl Rosen|
|10 November 2012||17:52 ~ Roger Schmidt||20:33 ~ Katie Showman||98|
|16 November 2013||15:54 ~ Stanley Linton||19:06 ~ Emily Ness||136|
|8 November 2014||17:12 ~ Roger Schmidt||20:07 ~ Katie Sherron||80|
- Complete results of the 2014 Trash Dash 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2014 Trash Dash 5K
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2014 Trash Dash 5K
- 2013 story, "No rubbish runs for Linton or Ness at the Trash Dash"
- 2012 story, "Schmidt and Showman dump their competition in the Trash Dash"
- 2011 story, "Corbin and Rosen weren't talking trash"
- Find the next trash dash, rubbish run, or garbage gallop on the Trouble Afoot! calendar