“I was trying to beat my time from two years ago,” said Lake.
He did. It was Lake’s fastest time yet at the Turkey Trot, and the fastest winning time in the race since 1995 when Jessie Close ran 49:12. Lake ran most of the race alone, leading nearly wire-to-wire and finishing almost half a mile ahead of the next runner. Stephen Cox placed second in 52:11 with Roger Schmidt taking third in 52:38 and Nate Kaiser fourth in 53:32. Seattle, Washington, distance runner Chris Fendrich was the fastest master runner in the race, placing fifth overall in 54:33.
“The women’s competition was excellent this year,” said Tallahassee lawyer Sheryl Rosen. “Seeley, Allison, Adriana, and Lauren were all up there.”
Excelling most was Rosen, who won her third straight Turkey Trot 15K women’s title, and her sixth since 2006. She didn’t come into the race with a lot of confidence, though.
“I’ve been injured and I haven’t raced for a year,” explained Rosen. “My leg still isn’t 100%. I started off conservative, about 6:45 per mile. Then I slowly inched my way up.”
Halfway through the race, Adriana Piekarewicz had just overtaken Mary Masterton to take the lead in the women’s field. Farther back, Lauren Poulos and Seeley Lovett chased the leaders followed by Sheryl Rosen and Allison Eagen. Over the final miles, Poulos moved up into the lead. Rosen was moving as well.
“I got up to Lauren Poulos at eight miles,” said Rosen. After that, “We traded the lead for about a mile. We were neck and neck down the hill.”
That was the final downhill on Merchants Row Boulevard toward the finish line on Esplanade Way. On that slope, Rosen broke away to take the lead for the final time, going on to win in 60:19. Poulos was the women's runner-up in 60:52. Adriana Piekarewicz was third in the women's standings at 61:03, while 2010 women's winner Allison Eagen followed in fourth at 62:33. Early leader Mary Masterton was the fifth woman finisher, running 62:41. Stephanie Liles-Weyant of Tallahassee was the top woman master, running 66:36.
Top Ten Men, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Tallahassee Turkey Trot 15K
- 49:37 ~ Chris Lake (M, 27) Tallahassee, FL
- 52:11 ~ Stephen Cox (M, 31) Tallahassee, FL
- 52:39 ~ Roger Schmidt (M, 23) Tallahassee, FL
- 53:32 ~ Nate Kaiser (M, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 54:33 ~ Chris Fendrich (M, 45) Seattle, WA
- 55:36 ~ Charlie Johnson (M, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 56:41 ~ Bryce Van Dam (M, 27) Tallahassee, FL
- 57:01 ~ Kyle Harris (M, 20) Bainbridge, GA
- 57:19 ~ James McClure (M, 15) Tallahassee, FL
- 57:17 ~ Evan Beauchamp (M, 26) Smyrna, GA
Top Ten Women, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Tallahassee Turkey Trot 15K
- 60:19 ~ Sheryl Rosen (F, 30) Tallahassee, FL
- 60:52 ~ Lauren Poulos (F, 28) Tallahassee, FL
- 61:02 ~ Adriana Piekarewicz (F, 26) Tallahassee, FL
- 62:41 ~ Allison Eagen (F, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 62:45 ~ Mary Masterton (F, 28) Orlando, FL
- 63:24 ~ Seeley Gutierrez (F, 38) Tallahassee, FL
- 64:46 ~ Cristina Bilder (F, 27) Plugerville, TX
- 66:36 ~ Stephanie Liles-Weyant (F, 42) Tallahassee, FL
- 66:36 ~ Melissa Thompson (F, 30) Thomasville, GA
- 66:51 ~ Jillian Heddaeus (F, 31) Tallahassee, FL
Nearly 500 runners finished the 2014 Turkey Trot 15K, but more than 4500 additional athletes were simultaneously competing in the 10K and the 5K. David Thornton, a cross-country runner for Darton State College in Albany, Georgia, won the 10K in 34:49, finishing more than half a mile ahead of the next runner in the race. Tallahassee master runner Marci Gray led the women’s field from start to finish to take the women’s title with a 40:50.
Top Ten Men, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Tallahassee Turkey Trot 10K
- 34:49 ~ David Thornton (M, 21) Albany, GA
- 39:02 ~ Patrick Dawson (M, 23) St. Petersburg Beach, FL
- 39:06 ~ Arnoldo De Jesus (M, 28) Albany, GA
- 39:27 ~ Terance Keenan (M, 50) Tallahassee, FL
- 39:31 ~ Jon Nash (M, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 39:31 ~ Jason Venema (M, 32) Tallahassee, FL
- 39:52 ~ Caleb Carmichael (M, 30) Pensacola, FL
- 40:03 ~ Daniel Volya (M, 15) Tallahassee, FL
- 40:03 ~ Jon Mason (M, 40) Tallahassee, FL
- 41:16 ~ Alex Brickler (M, 29) Tallahassee, FL
Top Ten Women, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Tallahassee Turkey Trot 10K
- 40:50 ~ Marci Gray (F, 40) Tallahassee, FL
- 43:29 ~ Kristin Sweeney (F, 20) Tallahassee, FL
- 43:29 ~ Ellen Sweeney (F, 19) Tallahassee, FL
- 44:53 ~ Lauren Huckaba (F, 27) Tallahassee, FL
- 47:50 ~ Sara Lane (F, 20) Tallahassee, FL
- 47:50 ~ Rachel Givens (F, 20) Tallahassee, FL
- 48:29 ~ Sandy Holt (F, 29) Tallahassee, FL
- 49:41 ~ Kim Likens (F, 46) Tallahassee, FL
- 49:21 ~ Savannah Sutherland (F, 17) Tallahassee, FL
- 49:16 ~ Laura Reina (F, 50) Tallahassee, FL
In the 5K, last year's Turkey Trot 15K winner, Joshua Seitz, found himself in a fight for the lead with Remy Tamer and Arnoldo De Jesus. Seitz, a volunteer assistant coach for the FSU cross country team, pulled away late in the race to win the 3.1-mile event in 15:51. Tamer was second in 15:57 and De Jesus third in 16:00. Swift Creek Middle School cross-country runner Alyson Churchill edged Maclay’s Lindsay James for the top spot in the women’s standings, 20:59 to 21:01.
Top Ten Men, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Tallahassee Turkey Trot 5K
- 15:52 ~ Joshua Seitz (M, 25) Tallahassee, FL
- 15:57 ~ Remy Tamer (M, 25) Tallahassee, FL
- 16:01 ~ Bill Clift (M, 25) Tallahassee, FL
- 17:11 ~ Paul Lagno (M, 24) Tallahassee, FL
- 17:29 ~ Taylor Buzzard (M, 20) Tallahassee, FL
- 17:32 ~ Bryce Cole (M, 16) Crawfordville, FL
- 17:48 ~ Ryan Truchelut (M, 29) Tallahassee, FL
- 17:51 ~ Danny Moore (M, 16) Tallahassee, FL
- 17:59 ~ Michael Martinez (M, 48) Tallahassee, FL
- 17:59 ~ Mickey Moore (M, 44) Tallahassee, FL
Top Ten Women, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Tallahassee Turkey Trot 5K
- 20:59 ~ Alyson Churchill (F, 12) Tallahassee, FL
- 21:01 ~ Lindsay James (F, 11) Tallahassee, FL
- 21:08 ~ Heather Streeval (F, 40) Tallahassee, FL
- 21:57 ~ Paula O'Neill (F, 53) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:03 ~ Katherine Resavage (F, 13) Tallahassee, FL
- 24:11 ~ Morgan Phillips (F, 18) Tallahassee, FL
- 24:26 ~ Rebekah Hudson (F, 19) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:22 ~ Julia Rose Travis (F, 16) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:33 ~ Marisa Ashley (F, 12) Panama City Beach, FL
- 22:47 ~ Emma Travis (F, 16) Tallahassee, FL
- Complete results of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Turkey Trot at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Tallahassee Turkey Trot
- Part 1: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10105380557042403.1073742044.5215641&l=c07209e951
- Part 2: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10105383429336303.1073742045.5215641&l=f66d4dabb3
- Part 3: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10105384640114893.1073742046.5215641&l=aff82bb965
- Fred Deckert's photos of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Tallahassee Turkey Trot
- 2013 story, "Seitz and Rosen speed through Southwood to Turkey Trot 15K titles"
- 2012 story, "Lake and Rosen take titles as 6,000 runners take in Turkey Trot"
- 2011 story, "Lake and 5,100 runners decide Turkey Trot is 'just right'"
- 2010 story, "Nearly 5,000 runners devour four races at 2010 Tallahassee Turkey Trot"
- 2009 story, "No Turkeys Were Harmed in the Trotting of this Race"
- Gulf Winds Track Club's Tallahassee Turkey Trot
- Find upcoming races, poultry and non-poultry alike, on the Trouble Afoot! calendar