The race started from the Lake Hall Recreation Area in the park. Less than half a mile after the start, shortly after turning onto the main road through the park, Vince Molosky was in the lead, with master runners Gary Droze and Tony Guillen at the head of the pursuit. By the mile mark, Molosky had opened a ten-second gap, while Droze had moved ahead of Guillen. Droze narrowed the margin during the second mile, but Molosky stepped on the gas again after that, beating Droze to the finish line back at Lake Hall, 17:22 to 17:35. Guillen was third in 18:08, and Thomasville High School distance runner Will White was fourth at 18:30.
Molosky's 17:22 wasn't nearly as fast as the 16:33 he had run in the previous year's Marzuq 5K, but in the women's race Katie Showman improved on the 19:58 she had run in 2012. Showman may have needed the extra speed to match the early pace set by Renee Cox in the women's competition. Cox started the race leading the women's field up from Lake Hall and onto the main raod. Before the end of the first mile, though, Katie Showman took over. For the rest of the race, Showman steadily moved ahead and returned to Lake Hall in 19:49, winning the women's title and placing tenth overall. Renee Cox settled for the runner-up spot, placing 13th overall in 20:22. Claire Fruchtnicht was the third woman across the finish line, 16th overall in 21:13. Paula O'Neill was the first woman master and the fourth woman finisher, running 23:08 for 20th overall.
After a typical road race you might overhear complaints from the top finishers about winning yet another trophy. "I don't know where I'm going to put this, or find time to keep it dusted!" Believe me, he'd be feeling worse if he wasn't taking one home. But at the Marzuq Shrine's 5K, this isn't a problem. Award winners receive home-baked cakes. Taking up space is only a temporary problem where baked goods are concerned; I doubt that anyone still had their 2012 cake to place alongside their 2013 prize. And since this was a Mothers Day race, the faster runners might want to keep in mind that cakes make good gifts.
Top Ten Males, 2013 Marzuq Mothers Day 5K
- 17:22 ~ Vince Molosky (M, 33) Tallahassee, FL
- 17:35 ~ Gary Droze (M, 51) Tallahassee, FL
- 18:08 ~ Tony Guillen (M, 44) Tallahassee, FL
- 18:30 ~ Will White (M, 16) Thomasville, GA
- 18:48 ~ Ryan Truchelut (M, 27) Tallahassee, FL
- 18:52 ~ Cole Tessier (M, 30) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:02 ~ Bing Xu (M, 45) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:13 ~ Greg Waddell (M, 47) Bainbridge, GA
- 19:42 ~ Duane Evans (M, 45) Crawfordville, FL
- 19:54 ~ Joel Piotrowski (M, 45) Tallahassee, FL
Top Ten Females, 2013 Marzuq Mothers Day 5K
- 19:49 ~ Katie Showman (F, 31) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:22 ~ Renee Cox (F, 25) Tallahassee, FL
- 21:13 ~ Claire Fruchtnicht (F, 30) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:08 ~ Paula O'Neill (F, 51) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:22 ~ Martha Bademan (F, 28) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:43 ~ Julia Rose Travis (F, 14) Tallahassee, FL
- 24:30 ~ Rachel Rumana (F, 14) Tallahassee, FL
- 24:43 ~ Fran McLean (F, 55) Tallahassee, FL
- 25:06 ~ Ericka McKibbin (F, 40) Tallahassee, FL
|Marzuq Shriners' Mother's Day 5K Champions, 2004-2013|
|8 May 2004||19:42, Scott Ruplinger||25:33, Penny Isom|
|7 May 2005||?||?|
|13 May 2006||18:27, David Yon||19:27, Laura Hempel|
|12 May 2007||18:03, Martin Sykut||19:04, Lisa Johnson|
|10 May 2008||19:30, James Dexter||20:19, Sheryl Rosen|
|9 May 2009||18:13, Myles Gibson||22:41, Angela Dempsey|
|8 May 2010||19:10, Mickey Moore||22:29, Fran McLean|
|7 May 2011||18:33, Stephen Robbins||20:36, Micah Adriani|
|12 May 2012||16:08, Kevin Sullivan||17:53, Sheryl Rosen|
|11 May 2013||17:22, Vince Molosky||19:49, Katie Showman|
|Any leads on the 2005 results would be deeply appreciated. Contact me!|
- Complete results of the 2012 Marzuq Shriners' Mother's Day 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2013 Marzuq Shriners' Mother's Day 5K
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2013 Marzuq Shriners' Mother's Day 5K
- 2012 story, "Sullivan and Rosen take the cake at the Marzuq 5K"
- 2011 story, "A Mother's Day stroll in Maclay Gardens for Robbins and Adriani"
- 2010 story, "Marzuq laurels go to Moore and McLean"
- Run a race! Find one to your liking on the Trouble Afoot! calendar