The race started on Henry Beadel Road, a long gallery of live oaks in the Tall Timbers Research Station. As the runners headed off Beadel Road and into the forest Pine Run defending champion Vince Molosky was ahead, with Jay Wallace and three-time Canadian Olympian Kevin Sullivan close behind. Molosky continued to lead through the first half of the race, but after eleven kilometers Sullivan was only three seconds back, although Wallace had fallen 25 seconds behind. At thirteen kilometers Sullivan had pulled even with Molosky, while Wallace still trailed. Then Sullivan made his move. At sixteen kilometers, just before the first of two major uphills, Sullivan had broken contact and was racing for home with a lead of nearly 40 seconds. Meanwhile, Wallace had closed to within six seconds of a fading Molosky. Sullivan widened the gap over the final four kilometers, ultimately winning with a 73:15 course record. Just under a minute back in 74:12, Wallace finished second. Molosky clung to third with a 75:18.
There were no such second half dramatics in the women's competition. Sheryl Rosen left Henry Beadel Drive a few seconds ahead of Katie Showman, and then spent the rest of the race building up a 900-meter lead. By sixteen kilometers and the base of the first of the final two hills, Gog and Magog, Rosen was leading comfortably and would go on to win to break her own 2009 course record by over two minutes, winning in 84:02. Likewise, Showman, Seeley Gutierrez, and Adriana Piekarewicz had settled into second, third, and fourth by four kilometers to go, and would finish in those places in 88:07, 89:28, and 90:38. Master runner Jane Johnson moved up from sixth to fifth on the final hills, running 91:19.
180 runners finished the race, the fourth Pine Run 20K at the Tall Timbers Research Station. It was perhaps the first year that no one reported getting lost during the race, a testament to improved course marking. "Out there you knew where you were going," said Deborah Ansley, a runner from Cairo, Georgia. "It was obvious."
Top Ten Men, 2011 GWTC Pine Run at Tall Timbers 20K
- 1:13:15 ~ Kevin Sullivan (M, 37) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:14:12 ~ Jay Wallace (M, 47) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:15:18 ~ Vince Molosky (M, 32) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:20:29 ~ Tony Guillen (M, 42) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:20:52 ~ Jack McDermott (M, 42) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:22:04 ~ Eric Godin (M, 27) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:22:36 ~ Cory Gerbrandt (M, 34) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:23:23 ~ Michael Martinez (M, 45) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:25:16 ~ Andrew Smyth (M, 24) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:25:37 ~ Cole Tessier (M, 28) Tallahassee, FL
Top Ten Women, 2011 GWTC Pine Run at Tall Timbers 20K
- 1:24:02 ~ Sheryl Rosen (F, 27) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:28:07 ~ Katie Showman (F, 29) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:29:28 ~ Seeley Gutierrez (F, 34) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:30:38 ~ Adriana Piekarewicz (F, 23) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:31:19 ~ Jane Johnson (F, 52) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:32:12 ~ Kelly Stevens (F, 29) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:32:40 ~ Micah Adriani (F, 34) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:34:56 ~ Brandi Campbell (F, 36) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:38:43 ~ Olivia Yinger (F, 28) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:42:50 ~ Ashley Daily (F, 24) Tallahassee, FL
|Champions of GWTC's Pine Run at Tall Timbers 20K, 2008-2011|
|11 October 2008||77:45 Vince Molosky||87:32 Kati Gosnell|
|2 October 2009||75:22 Jay Wallace||86:21 Sheryl Rosen|
|9 October 2010||73:39 Vince Molosky||90:21 Jane Johnson|
|8 October 2011||73:15 Kevin Sullivan||84:02 Sheryl Rosen|
- Complete results of the 2011 GWTC Pine Run at Tall Timbers 20K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2011 Gulf Winds Track Club Pine Run at Tall Timbers 20K
- 2010 story, "Molosky and Johnson find their way to wins at Pine Run 20K"
- 2009 story, "Wallace, Rosen winners at the 2009 Pine Run"
- Wildflowers of the Pine Run at Tall Timbers
- If there's another cross-country race like the Pine Run scheduled, it'll be listed here