So for the 16th annual race on 10 August 2013, it was hot. Sizzling, even. You have to grant the Tates Hell Track Club that.
Not that there really is a Tates Hell Track Club. Or is there? On the starting line of this year's Sizzler, Hobson Fulmer announced to the crowd, "You are now all members of the Tates Hell Track Club!" So credit the ethereal organization with 318 new members--350 if you also include the runners in the one-mile fun run from half an hour earlier.
Moments after learning from Fulmer that they had just joined Franklin County's foremost athletic organization, the runners were set loose to head east on Pine Street. A quarter mile after the start, University of West Florida cross-country coach Caleb Carmichael was setting the pace. Stanley Linton, runner-up in the 2012 Sizzler, was right with Carmichael, as was David Hein. By the mile mark, just after the runners started back west on Gorrie Drive, Carmichael had opened up a gap on Linton. Hein was another 20 seconds back and fading, having just given up third place to Jonathan Ross. In fifth place, Jack Redwing also had the struggling Hein in his sights.
At about halfway the race went by Lighthouse Park. Caleb Carmichael was running strong, appearing to have broken the race open. Stanley Linton was still in second, but steadily falling farther behind, although he remained 20 seconds up on Jonathan Ross. Ross was being stalked by Jack Redwing, who had already put away David Hein.
The second half of the 5K was all Carmichael's. The UWF coach built up a lead of nearly 400 meters, crossing the finish line in 16:16 as the 2013 Sizzler champion--adding a third Sizzler title to his wins in 2003 and 2004. Behind Carmichael, Jack Redwing had picked off Jonathan Ross and was starting to move up on second place and Stanley Linton. Redwing closed to within eight seconds, but Linton made it home in second place at 17:25, while Redwing settled for third in 17:33. Michael Martinez moved up to fourth during the second half of the race, finishing in 17:54 as the first master runner.
defending female champion was on the starting line in 2013--thirteen-year-old Polina Bondarenko was back from Illinois. Bondarenko led the women's competition early, but by the mile mark Tallahassee's Renee Cox had taken over. At midway Bondarenko was fighting with Wakulla High's Madison Harris for second place while Cox cruised up front. Cox went on to take the women's title, finishing 24th overall in 20:28. Madison Harris was the second female finisher, placing 28th overall in 21:03. Bondarenko improved her 2012 time more than half a minute, running 21:22 to finish 34th overall and third in the female standings. Thomasville, Georgia athlete Mary Anne Grayson finished at the top of the master women's standings; Grayson ran 22:18 and placed 44th overall, the sixth woman in the race.
The field of 318 finishers was a record crowd for the Sizzler, a benefit for the Franklin County Humane Society.
Top Ten Males, 2013 St. George Island Sizzler 5K
- 16:16 ~ Caleb Carmichael (M, 29) Pensacola, FL
- 17:25 ~ Stanley Linton (M, 19) Crawfordville, FL
- 17:33 ~ Jack Redwing (M, 27) Tallahassee, FL
- 17:54 ~ Michael Martinez (M, 47) Tallahassee, FL
- 17:58 ~ Paul Guyas (M, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 18:03 ~ Jonathan Ross (M, 27) Raleigh, NC
- 18:06 ~ Jay Wallace (M, 49) Tallahassee, FL
- 18:24 ~ Brian Sites (M, 48) Port St. Joe, FL
- 18:24 ~ Brian Molen (M, 37) Tallahassee, FL
- 18:27 ~ David Hein (M, 31)
Top Ten Females, 2013 St. George Island Sizzler 5K
- 20:28 ~ Renee Cox (F, 26) Tallahassee, FL
- 21:03 ~ Madison Harris (F, 17) Panacea, FL
- 21:22 ~ Polina Bondarenko (F, 13) River Forest, IL
- 22:09 ~ Jessica Colbert (F, 31)
- 22:12 ~ Juanita Chalmers (F, 31) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:18 ~ Mary Anne Grayson (F, 47) Thomasville, GA
- 22:47 ~ Angela Dempsey (F, 45) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:07 ~ Paula O' Neill (F, 52) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:09 ~ Martha Bademan (F, 29) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:13 ~ Lindsey Rodrigue (F, 37) Tallahassee, FL
|St. George Island Sizzler 5K Champions, 1997-2013|
|21 June 1997||17:36, Tim Unger||21:40, Julie Clark|
|13 June 1998||16:09, Gary Droze||22:53, Donna Finney|
|12 June 1999||17:05, Tim Unger||19:24, Summer Calder|
|10 June 2000||16:07, Gary Droze||21:18, Julie Clark|
|15 June 2002||15:46, Lee Willis||18:43, Luanne Coulter|
|21 June 2003||16:44, Caleb Carmichael||20:45, Jane Johnson|
|12 June 2004||16:42, Caleb Carmichael||19:48, Kara Newell|
|18 June 2005||16:02, Alex Miletich||20:53, Angela Dempsey|
|24 June 2006||17:24, Robert Beazley||18:39, Kara Newell|
|23 June 2007||17:02, Jasen Fulghum||20:41, Jane Johnson|
|28 June 2008||16:44, Tripp Southerland||19:11, Stephanie Liles|
|27 June 2009||16:53, John Robida||19:47, Kelsey Scheitlin|
|26 June 2010||19:06, Carl Nordhielm||22:06, Nancy Stedman|
|25 June 2011||17:06, Brandon Hough||22:44, Nicole Reichenbach|
|11 August 2012||16:25, Vince Molosky||21:58, Polina Bondarenko|
|10 August 2013||16:16, Caleb Carmichael||20:28, Renee Cox|
|The 1997 race was called the Summer Island 5K.|
- Complete results of the 2013 St George Island Summer Sizzler 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2013 St George Island Summer Sizzler 5K
- Part 1: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10103413082577003.1073741879.5215641&l=848a473e8d
- Part 2: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10103414267896613.1073741880.5215641&l=682737fe9b
- 2012 story, "Heated competition from Molosky and Bondarenko at the Sizzler"
- 2011 story, "Hough and Reichenbach grab Sizzler wins on St George"
- 2010 story, "Sizzler runners beat BP to St. George Island"
- 2009 story, "Back to the Beach--Robida Wins 2009 Summer Sizzler 5K"
- St George Island Sizzler
- 2013 St. George Island Sizzler 5K course certification map FL13045EBM
- Upcoming races in the Tallahassee region, both inland and on the coast