Valdosta's Greg George finished runner-up in the race at 20:11. Rick Mazurkiewicz of Valdosta was the third finisher and top master in the field, running 20:39. Recent Valdosta Middle School alumnus Quin McGlamery took fourth with a 21:19.
Right behind McGlamery at 21:20, Makenzee Page finished atop the women's standings, placing fifth overall. Mary Alice Smoot, an incoming freshman at the University of Tampa, was second on the women's side, coming in seventh overall in 22:47. Melanie Ellis of Valdosta was the third woman in the race and the first woman master, 11th overall in 23:27.
49 athletes finished the race, which was contested over a new course through Wood Valley. The consensus was that the new route was no less hilly than the previous one. Wood Valley is located on the verge of the Withlacoochee River, a bit of geography that helps to explain why it is one of the hilliest neighborhoods in Valdosta. Area runner aren't afraid of a challenge, though, and have shown up since 2010 during the hottest month of the year to tackle the slopes of Wood Valley. The Break Bread Bun Run is staged by First Presbyterian Church of Valdosta, with proceeds going to benefit Valdosta's Break Bread Together program, which provides one meal a day (five days a week) to area senior citizens who are low income, who are home-bound and who, without caregivers, are unable to prepare meals for themselves.
Top Ten Men, 2013 Break Bread Bun Run 5K
- 18:18.9 ~ Ryan Kelly (M, 35) Lake Park, GA
- 20:11.0 ~ Greg George (M, 26) Valdosta, GA
- 20:38.2 ~ Rick Mazurkiewicz (M, 47) Valdosta, GA
- 21:18.8 ~ Quin McGlamery (M, 14) Valdosta, GA
- 21:43.7 ~ Rob McGhin (M, 34) Valdosta, GA
- 22:50.8 ~ Wesley Heruska (M, 38) Hahira, GA
- 23:01.0 ~ Keith Madsen (M, 28) Valdosta, GA
- 23:01.8 ~ Ken Smith (M, 49) Valdosta, GA
- 23:29.7 ~ Jeff Fountain (M, 50) Alexandria, VA
- 25:20.5 ~ Darren McCall (M, 31) Valdosta, GA
Top Ten Women, 2013 Break Bread Bun Run 5K
- 21:19.1 ~ Makenzee Page (F, 14) Ray City, GA
- 22:46.6 ~ Mary Alice Smoot (F, 18) Valdosta, GA
- 23:26.3 ~ Melanie Ellis (F, 41) Valdosta, GA
- 23:31.3 ~ Debbie Green (F, 48) Valdosta, GA
- 25:58.7 ~ Nancy Elam (F, 51) Valdosta, GA
- 26:01.6 ~ Heather Kelly (F, 36) Lake Park, GA
- 26:12.4 ~ Martha Mazurkiewicz (F, 46) Valdosta, GA
- 27:19.8 ~ Cassey Fullard (F, 13) Alma, GA
- 28:06.7 ~ Breanna Madsen (F, 26) Valdosta, GA
- 29:07.8 ~ Beth Ford (F, 45) Valdosta, GA
|Break Bread Bun Run 5K champions, 2010-2014|
|24 July 2010||18:28, Scott Gardner||24:16, Nicole Kump||49|
|23 July 2011||18:47, Masked Avenger||23:07, Minerva Arreguin||78|
|21 July 2012||18:21, Mark McLeod||21:11, Alice Smoot||56|
|20 July 2013||18:54, Ryan Kelly||22:30, Alison Peters||71|
|12 July 2014||18:19, Ryan Kelly||21:20, Makenzee Page||49|
- Complete results of the 2014 Break Bread Bun Run 5K
- Course map, 2014 Break Bread Bun Run 5K
- 2013 story, "Kelly and Peters break away at Break Bread Bun Run"
- 2012 story, "McLeod and Smoot kick some buns in Valdosta's Wood Valley"
- 2011 story, "Avenger and Arreguin emerge from the Wood Valley Hills as Bun Run Champs"
- 2010 story, "Gardner conquers Valdosta's Wood Valley hills to win the Bun Run 5K"
- Break Bread Bun Run
- Find another baked good race on the Trouble Afoot! calendar