Kiros is getting so notorious for taking wrong turns during road races that he should probably be required to either tape a course map to his arm or wear a shirt with Don't Follow Me printed on the back. But any missteps he took on Saturday, 11 June 2016, didn't cost him competively, because that morning Kiros won the 5K at Fifth in the Midtown section of Tallahassee, Florida. Kiros covered the 3.1-mile course in 18:40. Martha Guyas was won women's title at the race, placing eighth overall in 24:30.
|Dr. Geb Kiros|
The race started at 8:00 AM with the runners heading east on Ingleside Avenue. After half a kilometer three runners were out front--master runners Geb Kiros and Myles Gibson followed by Tyler Sununu.
"I stayed with him for about 500 meters, but I had to let him go after that," said Gibson. "After that, my strategy was to follow him until he got lost and then take over."
Kiros never got more than a few steps off course, though, and his lead widened during the middle of the race. Sununu fell entirely out of contention, but Gibson tried for a late-race comeback.
"I was closing on him at the end," said Gibson. "But he was too far ahead."
Gibson never got closer than twelve seconds as Kiros got the win in 18:40 while Gibson was runner-up in 18:52. Sununu crossed the finish line on Fifth Avenue third in 19:29.
Leon High School volleyball player Jordyn Goracke led the women's field early, but Martha Guyas was never far behind. Guyas overtook Goracke less than a kilometer into the race then ran the rest of the way unchallenged, taking the women's title in 24:30. After moving up to third in the women's standings during the race, Melissa Cooper was gaining on Goracke, but Goracke held on to take the second women's spot and eleventh overall in 26:40. Cooper was the third female finisher and thirteenth overall in 26:50.
"Today is the fourth Saturday in a row that I won," said Kiros. During that span, the Florida A & M University biostatistics professor has picked up victories in Blountstown and in Fort Worth, Texas, as well as two in Tallahassee. That's a lot of racing, and he still wasn't done for the day.
"This is just round one for me," said Kiros. He was planning on running the Potluck Four Mile in Tallahassee that evening.
The 5K at Fifth is held annually by the Leon High School volleyball team. Proceeds from the race benefit the team and the Tallahassee Memorial Cancer Center.
Top Ten Men, 2016 5K at Fifth
- 18:39.56 ~ Geb Kiros (M, 49)
- 18:51.18 ~ Myles Gibson (M, 49)
- 19:28.76 ~ Tyler Sununu (M, 27)
- 21:20.98 ~ Aaron Taylor (M, 22)
- 23:41.31 ~ Joe Vega (M, 62)
- 23:50.43 ~ Doug Gorton (M, 57)
- 24:22.25 ~ Jim Tully (M, 69
- 24:34.23 ~ Greg Lane (M, 43
- 26:28.25 ~ Skyler St Onge (M, 19)
- 26:47.14 ~ Patrick Weston (M, 27)
Top Ten Women, 2016 5K at Fifth
- 24:29.11 ~ Martha Guyas (F, 31)
- 26:39.46 ~ Jordyn Goracke (F, 16)
- 26:49.03 ~ Melissa Cooper (F, 39)
- 27:32.57 ~ Kate Powell (F, 15)
- 28:12.91 ~ Caroline Kirk (F, 17)
- 28:33.59 ~ Veronica Tuck (F, 17)
- 29:37.39 ~ Lisa Starling (F, 50)
- 30:16.04 ~ Haley Nutt (F, 23)
- 30:30.10 ~ Ayden Molthen (F, 15)
- 30:44.03 ~ Barbette Pannitter (F, 50)
|5K at Fifth winners, 2012 - 2016|
|8 September 2012||, Peter Kaus||Unknown. Do you know?||???|
|14 September 2013||20:10, Tom Konrad||20:38, Renee Cox||116|
|14 June 2014||17:39, Bill Clift||20:21, Renee Cox||145|
|13 June 2015||18:39, Adam Greenstein||19:35, Sheryl Rosen||145|
|11 June 2016||18:40, Geb Kiros||24:30, Martha Guyas||102|
- Complete results of the 2016 5K at Fifth at gulfwinds.org
[ COMING SOON! PLEASE CHECK BACK! ]
- More photos of the 2016 5K at Fifth
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2016 5K at Fifth
- 2015 story, “Greenstein and Rosen take the Fifth”
- 2014 story, “Clift and Cox are first in the third annual 5K at Fifth”
- 2013 story, “Konrad and Cox go to town in Midtown”
- Find an upcoming race on a numbered street or avenue using the Trouble Afoot! race calendar