The 30K and 15K started near the Retreat at Bradley's Pond, just north of Tallahassee. Nearly 300 runners made the first turn from Bradley Road onto Centerville Road; 165 would finish the 15K and another 107 the 30K. Chasing the fastest 15K runners, Five-time GWTC 30K champion Vince Molosky led the long race. At 7-1/2 kilometers the 15K runners turned around to head back to Bradley's Pond, and Molosky was alone out front. The nearest pursuit was half a kilometer back--Tallahassee runners Nate Kaiser, Geb Kiros, and Adam Greenstein. Another hundred meters behind that group, Patrick Whitehead of Albany, Georgia, ran in fifth.
Molosky made it to the halfway point, the turnaround on Sunny Hill Road, still in command of the 30K. There are two halves of a race though. Nate Kaiser caught Molosky early in the second half of the 30K, and by the 20K mark Kaiser was 70 meters ahead. That gap was widening. Patrick Whitehead was still over half a kilometer back at that point, but he was gaining on Molosky.
"I caught him with about two miles to go," said Whitehead.
No one caught Kaiser, however. In his GWTC 30K debut, Kaiser won the race in 1:53:19. Whitehead was second in 1:56:51 and Molosky was third in 1:58:55. Once a contender for second, Adam Greenstein was fourth in 2:02:02. Peter Kaus placed fifth in 2:03:47. Geb Kiros was the fastest master runner in the race, sixth overall in 2:04:54.
Katie Sherron had won the women's division at the 30K two of the last three years. Seven kilometers into the 2015 race, she was 300 meters ahead of the next woman, Jillian Heddaeus, and looking likely to make it three out of four. Sherron made it to the halfway mark still leading the women's field, and her second half was as strong as her first. Over the last 10 kilometers Sherron doubled her lead and finished atop the women's standings in 2:22:32. Heddaeus hung on to take the second women's spot, 22nd overall in 2:28:31. 2014 30K women's winner Laura McDermott was narrowing the gap on Heddaeus late in the race, but never enough to pose a challenge. The third woman finisher, McDermott was 23rd overall in 2:30:01. Nancy Stedman was the first woman master and sixth female finisher, placing 33rd overall in 2:39:34.
Top Ten Men, 2015 Gulf Winds Track Club 30K
- 1:53:19 ~ Nate Kaiser (M, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:56:51 ~ Patrick Whitehead (M, 28) Albany, GA
- 1:58:55 ~ Vince Molosky (M, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 2:02:02 ~ Adam Greenstein (M, 23)
- 2:03:47 ~ Peter Kaus (M, 30) Tallahassee, FL
- 2:04:54 ~ Geb Kiros (M, 48) Tallahassee, FL
- 2:12:34 ~ Jack McDermott (M, 45) Tallahassee, FL
- 2:16:53 ~ Mark Tombrink (M, 27)
- 2:18:21 ~ Paul Guyas (M, 37) Tallahassee, FL
- 2:18:42 ~ Jon Mason (M, 41)
Top Ten Women, 2015 Gulf Winds Track Club 30K
- 2:22:32 ~ Katie Sherron (F, 33) Tallahassee, FL
- 2:28:31 ~ Jillian Heddaeus (F, 31) Tallahassee, FL
- 2:30:01 ~ Laura McDermott (F, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 2:34:40 ~ Hilary Joyner (F, 39)
- 2:34:40 ~ Nikky Manausa (F, 33)
- 2:39:34 ~ Nancy Stedman (F, 53) Tallahassee, FL
- 2:42:25 ~ Jane Skalski (F, 30) Tallahassee, FL
- 2:42:33 ~ Katie Clark (F, 40)
- 2:43:44 ~ Emma Spencer (F, 33)
- 2:43:51 ~ Tiffany Roddenberry (F, 30)
Race day dawned on about as close to a winter morning as North Florida ever sees, with frost glazing the grass along the road. It was the kind of cool air in which the heat engine that powers a runner works most efficiently. You could see that in the front of the 15K field. Sukhi Khosla and Hunter Scott started the race in long sleeves, knit caps, and gloves, but by three kilometers the two Leon High seniors had abandoned the cold weather gear. Khosla was on a mission. The holder of four Florida high school running titles and the winner of the last two GWTC 15K races, Khosla wanted the course record. He had missed it by one second in the 2014 race, a rainy day when the unpaved half of the course had been a muddy morass. This year the footing was excellent. Taking advantage of the conditions Khosla posted a winning 50:11, trimming nearly a minute off of Will Stanford's 2009 course record of 51:05. Hunter Scott was second in 51:51 and Dan Baur third in 53:43. Zach DeVeau ran a strong second half, moving up to edge Leon sophomore Matt Cashin for fourth, 55:28 to 55:32. Jesse Espinoza was the fastest master in the 15K, coming in sixth overall in 56:27.
Sheryl Rosen is a four-time women's champ at the GWTC 30K, with wins in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. In 2014 she took a break from the long race and finished second to Seeley Gutierrez in the 15K. In 2015 Rosen was back in the 15K and finishing second to no one. The Tallahassee lawyer ran 58:37, placing 12th overall, taking the first women's spot, and setting a new course record for women. It was also nearly two minutes faster than Rosen had run two months earlier on a fully-paved 15K course at the Tallahassee Turkey Trot. Stephanie Liles-Weyant was the women's runner-up and top woman master, coming in 23rd overall in 62:47. Renee Cox was third in the women's standings, 30th overall in 67:04.
When everything is "just right," a lot of athletes leave the race happy. That includes out-of-town visitors, like Albany, Georgia, runner Patrick Whitehead.
"Gorgeous course," said Whitehead after the race. "I hope to run it again."
Next January he can.
Top Ten Men, 2015 Gulf Winds Track Club 15K
- 50:11 ~ Sukhi Khosla (M, 18)
- 51:51 ~ Hunter Scott (M, 18)
- 53:43 ~ Dan Baur (M, 28)
- 55:28 ~ Zach Deveau (M, 27)
- 55:32 ~ Matthew Cashin (M, 15)
- 56:27 ~ Jesse Espinoza (M, 48)
- 58:00 ~ Adam Wallenfelsz (M, 17)
- 58:08 ~ Danny Moore (M, 17)
- 58:23 ~ Jake Mazziotta (M, 16)
- 58:29 ~ James McClure (M, 15)
Top Ten Women, 2015 Gulf Winds Track Club 15K
- 58:37 ~ Sheryl Rosen (F, 30)
- 62:47 ~ Stephanie Liles-Weyant (F, 42)
- 67:04 ~ Renee Cox (F, 27)
- 71:06 ~ Sarrah Carroll (F, 32)
- 71:16 ~ Zoe Sheldon (F, 15)
- 71:26 ~ Caroline Willis (F, 15)
- 71:45 ~ Grace Lockhart (F, 16)
- 71:51 ~ Gray Kinch (F, 15)
- 74:49 ~ Jane Johnson (F, 55)
- 76:52 ~ Sarah Dugas (F, 36)
|Gulf Winds Track Club 30K Champions, 1978 - 2015|
|17 January 2015||30K||1:53:19, Nate Kaiser||2:22:32, Katie Sherron||107|
|15K||50:11, Sukhi Khosla||58:37, Sheryl Rosen||165|
|11 January 2014||30K||1:57:29, Vince Molosky||2:34:23, Laura McDermott||55|
|15K||51:06, Sukhi Khosla||61:27, Seeley Gutierrez||169|
|12 January 2013||30K||1:48:22, Stanley Linton||2:16:41, Katie Showman||150|
|15K||52:57, Sukhi Khosla||64:19, Kristin Sweeney||200|
|14 January 2012||30K||1:51:30, Charlie Johnson||2:17:38, Katie Showman||150|
|15K||53:29, Stanley Linton||60:42, Pasca Cheruiyot||176|
|15 January 2011||30K||1:51:48, Vince Molosky||2:17:15, Heather Griffis||103|
|15K||53:03, Stephen Cox||59:55, Lisa Johnson||169|
|16 January 2010||30K||1:56:14, Vince Molosky||2:14:22, Sheryl Rosen||90|
|15K||51:50, Matt Mizereck||63:45, Lisa Johnson||101|
|17 January 2009||30K||1:54:06, Vince Molosky||2:11:41, Sheryl Rosen||87|
|15K||51:05, Will Stanford||61:49, Lisa Johnson||96|
|12 January 2008||30K||2:00:29, Vince Molosky||2:17:24, Sheryl Rosen||77|
|15K||54:23, Matt Mizereck||63:13, Lisa Johnson||126|
|13 January 2007||30K||2:01:23, Justin Dickieson||2:04:21, Sheryl Rosen||70|
|15K||58:18, Matthew Mizereck||73:40, Anna Busby||50|
|21 January 2006||30K||2:03:36, Michael Douma||2:09:27, Stephanie Liles||65|
|15K||58:51, Chris Holland||60:30, Sarah Docter-Williams||59|
|22 January 2005||30K||1:56:18, Art Remillard||2:13:50, Jane Johnson||38|
|16 January 2004||30K||1:56:00, Timothy Bolton||2:09:27, Jane Johnson||69|
|18 January 2003||30K||2:02:28, Larry Mengelkoch||2:07:46, Jane Johnson|
|15 December 2001||30K||2:09:43, Tom Ratliffe||2:22:56, Carrie Weyant|
|3 February 2001||30K||2:00:29, Kevin Porter||2:02:27, Jane Johnson|
|5 February 2000||30K||1:57:47, Garth Grumme||1:53:04, Anne Van Schuppen|
|6 February 1999||30K||1:58:17, Doug Gorton||2:11:20, Jane Johnson|
|10 January 1998||30K||1:57:45, Clarence Calloway||2:04:34, Jane Johnson|
|7 January 1997||30K||1:54:26, Tracy Burch||2:00:28, Jane Johnson|
|13 January 1996||30K||1:46:14, John Viitanen||2:12:30, Eileen Telford|
|14 January 1995||30K||1:49:45, Herb Wills||2:22:18, Nancy Stuparich|
|22 January 1994||30K||1:43:50, Herb Wills||2:07:27, Lisa Herman|
|16 January 1993||30K||1:43:54, Herb Wills||2:12:42, Carrie Hunnicutt|
|4 January 1992||30K||1:46:36, Jessie Close||2:13:46, Lynda Nilges|
|12 January 1991||30K||1:37:31, David Keen||2:06:03, Paula Johnson|
|13 January 1990||30K||1:43:57, Herb Wills||2:12:00, Paula Johnson|
|14 January 1989||30K||1:45:31, Jessie Close||2:22:07, Mary Jean Yon|
|16 January 1988||30K||1:45:24, Tom Burr||2:10:04, Mae Cleveland|
|10 January 1987||30K||1:44:45, Larry Greene||2:11:59, Karen Macharg|
|18 January 1986||30K||1:38:54, Herb Wills||2:10:48, Missy James|
|14 January 1985||30K||1:45:10, Herb Wills||2:17:56, Mae Cleveland|
|14 January 1984||30K||1:43:32, Noel Shumann||2:04:20, Barbara Balzer|
|15 January 1983||30K||1:48:18, Andrew Wills||2:18:18, Christy Orthman|
|16 January 1982||30K||1:44:41, Rick Miller||1:56:57, Laura Ledbetter|
|12 January 1980||30K||1:51:19, Steve Ray||2:48:31, Robyn Anderson|
|3 February 1979||30K||1:42:13, Ken Misner||2:12:44, Lynda Heimann|
|11 March 1978||30K||1:46:19, Tim Simpkins||2:22:31, Donna Glotzbach|
- Complete results of the 2015 Gulf Winds Track Club 30K and 15K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2015 Gulf Winds Track Club 30K and 15K
- Part 1: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10105655431935913.1073742060.5215641&l=a1a2963c0e
- Part 2: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10105658154395083.1073742061.5215641&l=0e7d4202d3
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2015 Gulf Winds Track Club 30K and 15K
- 15K: https://picasaweb.google.com/112560881455823075870/GWTC15K_15
- 30K: https://picasaweb.google.com/112560881455823075870/GWTC30K_15
- 15K: https://picasaweb.google.com/112560881455823075870/GWTC15K_15
- 2014 story, "Tough mudders Molosky and McDermott win a messy GWTC 30K"
- 2013 story, "A no-excuse 30K for Linton and Showman"
- 2012 story, "Johnson and Showman roll through the Red Hills in the GWTC 30K"
- 2011 story, "Molosky and Griffis run top 30K times on timeless Old Centerville Road"
- 2010 story, "Molosky and Rosen defend titles at a muddy 30K"
- 2009 story, "2009 Gulf Winds Track Club 30K / 15K"
- 2008 story, "2008 Gulf Winds Track Club 30K"
- USATF course certification map FL06013DL for the Gulf Winds Track Club 30K
- USATF course certification map FL06014DL for the Gulf Winds Track Club 15K
- Find upcoming races, long and short, in the Tallahassee region