Stephen Cox is no stranger to the Bowlegs 5K. In fact he won the race in 2010. In the early going of the 2015 race, though, he found himself fighting for the lead with the 2011 Bowlegs winner, Vince Molosky. Molosky, who first ran the Bowlegs 5K in 2008, also had three runner-up finishes in the race. If anyone had an edge in Bowlegs experience, it was Molosky.
"It's been...three in a row?" said Molosky. "The timing is usually good and it's a good course."
It was close through the first kilometer. Cox broke away during the second kilometer. By the turn-around on the third kilometer Cox had what looked like an insurmountable lead. It was. He went on to win in 16:08. Molosky ran 17:24 for another second-place Bowlegs finish, his fourth. Michael Martinez ran home in 18:04 to take third place and the top master spot.
Sheryl Rosen's history at Bowlegs goes back even farther than that of either Stephen Cox or Vince Molosky. Rosen first won the Bowlegs women's title in 2007 as a student at the Florida State University College of Law, then again in 2011 as a fledgling member of the bar. After another four-year break she was back at Bowlegs in 2015. Rosen started out fast, faster than any other athlete in the women's field could run.
"I was testing out the waters today," said Rosen. "I ran the first mile in 5:53, the second mile in 5:53, and then I slowed down the last mile."
In Rosen's defense, the third mile at Bowlegs takes you from the banks of Munson Slough to the high ground where the FAMU / FSU College of Engineering stands--i.e., from one of the lowest points on the course to one of the highest points on the course. That mile also includes a hill that athletes have described in impolite terms for years, even when Innovation Park was still the FSU Dairy Farm. Rosen still weathered that mile well enough to finish the race sixth overall, winning the women's competition in 18:35. It was the fastest run by a woman at Bowlegs in ten years. You'd have to go back to 2005, when Sarah Docter-Williams ran 18:10, to find a faster women's performance.
Swift Creek Middle School cross-country ace Alyson Churchill was second in the women's standings, placing 25th overall in 21:11. Nikky Manausa was the third woman finisher, 30th overall in 21:39, and Elizabeth Jackson was the fourth woman, 31st overall in 21:50. Paula O'Neill was top woman master, the fifth female and 36th overall in 22:11.
132 athletes finished the 2015 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship, Gulf Winds Track Club's second race of the year. The Bowlegs benefits the scholarship fund of the Friends and Faculty Club of Florida State University.
Top Ten Men, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2015 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship
- 16:08 ~ Stephen Cox (M, 31)
- 17:24 ~ Vince Molosky (M, 35)
- 18:04 ~ Michael Martinez (M, 49)
- 18:18 ~ Reikan Lin (M, 24)
- 18:32 ~ Eric Godin (M, 30)
- 18:54 ~ David Graf (M, 38)
- 18:54 ~ Mike Peymann (M, 52)
- 18:55 ~ Aaron Taylor (M, 21)
- 19:24 ~ Jack Redwing (M, 28)
- 19:24 ~ Anthony Kuchera (M, 28)
Top Ten Women, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2015 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship
- 18:35 ~ Sheryl Rosen (F, 30)
- 21:11 ~ Alyson Churchill (F, 12)
- 21:39 ~ Nikky Manausa (F, 33)
- 21:50 ~ Elizabeth Jackson (F, 18)
- 22:11 ~ Paula O' Neill (F, 53)
- 22:16 ~ Kate Chunka (F, 31)
- 22:19 ~ Emma Spencer (F, 33)
- 22:55 ~ Michelle Kuchera (F, 29)
- 22:56 ~ Megan Churchill (F, 12)
- 24:01 ~ Kate Krizner (F, 10)
|Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship winners, 1985 - 2015|
|16 February 1985||16:44, Scott Hinkle||18:48, Darien Andreu||153|
|15 February 1986||16:12, Rick Miller||20:00, Janice Hochstein||150|
|7 February 1987||15:54, Randy Jordan||20:00, Sarah Patterson||186|
|13 February 1988||16:05, Rick Miller||20:02, Janice Hochstein||220|
|4 February 1989||15:44, Rick Miller||20:02, Barbara Balzer||165|
|10 February 1990||17:28, Felton Wright||19:30, Paula Johnson||112|
|16 February 1991||16:15, Bill Crooks||20:37, Tina Davies||67|
|15 February 1992||15:51, Mike Macinko||18:37, Paula Johnson||81|
|20 February 1993||15:33, Gary Droze||19:33, Carrie Hunnicutt||143|
|19 February 1994||16:02, Phillip Healy||22:18, Chateau Mangaroo||83|
|18 February 1995||15:41, Reid Montini||18:09, Jane Johnson||158|
|17 February 1996||16:12, Tim Simpkins||19:33, Janice Hochstein||77|
|15 February 1997||15:45, Gary Droze||18:20, Jane Johnson||163|
|14 February 1998||16:23, Damian Wilson||17:47, Sarah Docter-Williams||104|
|13 February 1999||15:57, Robert Pautenius||16:54, Breeda Dennehy-Willis||77|
|12 February 2000||15:49, Aaron Scheer||20:42, Laurel Slyck||83|
|10 February 2001||16:48, Gary Droze||18:18, Sarah Docter-Williams|
|9 February 2002||16:20, Thomas Kunish||20:20, Allison Eagen||77|
|8 February 2003||16:56, Paul Orfield||21:15, Fran McLean||76|
|21 February 2004||17:06, Adam David Churchill||18:21, Breeda Dennehy-Willis||82|
|15 January 2005||17:42, Art Remillard||18:10, Sarah Docter-Williams||72|
|14 January 2006||16:43, Shawn Patterson||19:22, Stephanie Liles||152|
|20 January 2007||17:37, Matt Mizereck||19:02, Sheryl Rosen||109|
|19 January 2008||16:32, Tripp Southerland||21:39, Carly Thomas||121|
|10 January 2009||17:59, Tim Unger||20:09, Micah Adriani||117|
|9 January 2010||17:21, Stephen Cox||21:01, Lauren Switzer||84|
|8 January 2011||16:38, Vince Molosky||19:26, Sheryl Rosen||204|
|7 January 2012||17:10, Stanley Linton||19:27, Katie Showman||166|
|5 January 2013||16:12, Stanley Linton||20:19, Katie Showman||110|
|18 January 2014||15:46, Stanley Linton||19:18, Lisa Johnson||168|
|10 January 2015||16:08, Stephen Cox||18:35, Sheryl Rosen||132|
|From 1985 to 1994 the Bowlegs 5K was run on the main campus of Florida State University,|
starting and finishing near Tully Gym, on USATF certified course FL88014BH.
From 1995 to 2015 the Bowlegs 5K was run in Innovation Park, starting and finishing near
the College of Engineering on USATF certified course FL95008DL. The course was later
recertified with number FL12001EBM.
- Complete results of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2015 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2015 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship
- Fred Deckert's photos of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2015 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship
- 2015 advance story, "In 2015 it all begins at Bowlegs"
- 2014 story, “Linton and Johnson have fast legs at Bowlegs 5K”
- 2013 story, “Repeat wins for Linton and Showman at Bowlegs 5K”
- 2012 story, “Linton and Showman open 2012 with wins at Bowlegs”
- 2012 advance story, “In Tallahassee, 2012 distance running starts at Bowlegs”
- 2011 Bowlegs, “Molosky and Rosen start 2011 racing right at Bowlegs 5K”
- 2010 story, “Cox and Switzer winners at a chilly Bowlegs 5K”
- USATF course certification map FL12001EBM, Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship
- Looking for your next road race in the Tallahassee region? Try here!