It takes some courage to schedule a race the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Most runners are going to have run one of the huge "Turkey Trot" or other Thanksgiving races on Thursday. The "Saturday After" race director can't expect much in the way of participation. The Thursday races take most of the athletes, and the Saturday races get the leftovers. Nevertheless, Climax, Georgia bravely (or stubbornly) keeps staging the Swine Time 5K on that post-Thanksgiving Saturday year after year.
Of course, any meal you make of Thanksgiving leftovers includes some of the food you had on Thanksgiving. Similarly, the top four runners in the Swine Time 5K had faced each other on Thanksgiving Day in the Tallahassee Turkey Trot 5K.
At Swine Time, the runners negotiated a 3.1-mile out and back course that started and finished on New Street at the Swine Time festival grounds. Before the first kilometer was over the runners had left the residential streets for a dirt road past the cotton fields, and Tae Ross was leading with Michael Martinez dogging his heels. Early in the second kilometer the race turned north and back onto pavement on Salem Church Road. Tae Ross was still in front, resisting all of Martinez's attempt to take over pacesetting. Behind them, Greg Waddell had moved into third and Phillip Wilbourn was settled in fourth.
After the halfway turnaround, Martinez was finally able to pass Ross, breaking away on the long uphill return on Salem Church Road. Martinez steadily pulled away, going on to win by about 200 meters in 17:55. Ross was second in 18:40, while Waddell hung on to third in 19:13 and Wilbourn fourth in 20:23.
When Dana Martin passed Teresa Odom during the second mile to take over the lead in the women's competition, Jessica Wynn was three places and twenty seconds behind. During the second half of the race, though, Wynn came on, closing to within four seconds of Martin. But Martin clung to that four second lead, beating out Wynn for the top women's spot 24:30 to 24:34. Odom finished 34th overall in 25:21 as the third woman and first woman master.
There were 113 finishers in the race, an annual fixture of the southwest Georgia running scene. The Swine Time 5K is held in conjunction with Climax's annual Swine Time Festival, a celebration of everything porcine.
Top Ten Men, 2011 Swine Time 5K
- 17:55 ~ Michael Martinez (M, 45) Tallahassee, FL
- 18:40 ~ Tae Ross (M, 17) Bainbridge, GA
- 19:13 ~ Greg Waddell (M, 45) Bainbridge, GA
- 20:23 ~ Phiilip Wilbourn (M, 32) Blakely, GA
- 21:45 ~ Austin Kelly (M, 27) Havana, FL
- 21:52 ~ Bennett Enfinger (M, 14) Bainbridge, GA
- 21:53 ~ Matthew Green (M, 13) Donalsonville, GA
- 22:03 ~ Stuart Beauchamp (M, 22) Bainbridge, GA
- 22:18 ~ David Beauchamp (M, 20-29) Hoboken, NJ
- 22:28 ~ Noah St. John (M, 30-39) Durham, NC
Top Ten Women, 2011 Swine Time 5K
- 24:30 ~ Dana Martin (F, 38) Bainbridge, GA
- 24:34 ~ Jessica Wynn (F, 32) Bainbridge, GA
- 25:21 ~ Teresa Odom (F, 46) Bainbridge, GA
- 26:53 ~ Anda Ariail (F, 30-39) Orlando, FL
- 27:03 ~ Linda Wann (F, 50-59) Bainbridge, GA
- 27:20 ~ Chelsey Beauchamp (F, 20-29) Atlanta, GA
- 27:29 ~ Morgan Lane (F, 14-19) Bainbridge, GA
- 27:53 ~ Julie Genavar (F, 20-29) Bainbridge, GA
- 28:30 ~ Marie Mosley (F, 30-39) Tampa, FL
- 28:32 ~ Shannon Angle (F, 30-39) Climax, GA
- Complete results of the 2011 Swine Time 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2011 Swine Time 5K
- The Post Searchlight, "Swine Time Run Winners," by Joe Crine
- Upcoming races in Florida's Big Bend, southwest Georgia, and southeast Alabama