That's what it has been like the last five years when the Gulf Winds Track Club hosted their annual Pine Run 20K at Tall Timbers, most recently on Saturday morning, 13 October 2012. Just short of 200 competitors finished the 12.4-mile trail race this year, led by Vince Molosky at 74:48. It was the third title at Tall Timbers for Molosky, who also won the event in 2008 and 2010. Finishing runner-up behind Molosky, Tony Guillen was the fastest master runner of the morning, running 81:04. Jane Johnson was both the first woman and the first woman master, placing 27th overall in 95:05. Johnson also won the women's title in 2010.
The start of the race was delayed till after 8:00 AM ET, quite a bit later than the scheduled 7:45. Once the runners were let loose, Molosky leapt into the lead. In the 2011 race, Molosky had run about half the Pine Run with Kevin Sullivan, who went on to win the race. Not so in 2012. Molosky just got farther and farther ahead as he knocked off the distance at close to 6:00-mile pace. Tony Guillen moved into second early, but for most of the race he would have needed binoculars to see Molosky, who finished the race with a lead of nearly a mile. Eight kilometers into the race, though, three runners were fighting for third--Charn McAllister, Mike Peymann, and Geb Kiros. Of the three, Kiros dropped off the pace first, and was eventually passed by Jack McDermott. McAllister and Peymann continued their duel through 15 kilometers, but after that McAllister opened a gap. While McAllister went on to take third in 82:35, Peymann had to deal with a closing McDermott. In the end, Peymann held off McDermott for fourth, 83:34 to 83:38.
Jane Johnson handled the women's field much like Vince Molosky did the men's field. Johnson was already leading the rest of the women 400 meters into the race when the runners left oak-lined Henry Beadle Drive. After that, tall grass, clutching vines, loose sand, and steep hills made little difference to Johnson; she just kept getting farther ahead. When Johnson crossed the finish line in 95:05, the next woman was nearly 1200 meters behind. Tallahassee's Kate Chunka placed second among the women, running 1:41:02 and finishing 41st overall. Master runner Michelle Burke of Fernandina Beach was the third female finisher, placing 44th overall in 1:42:08.
Top Ten Men, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2012 Pine Run 20K at Tall Timbers
- 1:14:48 ~ Vince Molosky (M, 33) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:21:04 ~ Tony Guillen (M, 43) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:22:35 ~ Charn McAllister (M, 29) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:23:34 ~ Mike Peymann (M, 50) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:23:38 ~ Jack McDermott (M, 43) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:25:13 ~ Geb Kiros (M, 46) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:25:36 ~ Sean Hudson (M, 42) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:25:59 ~ Bing Xu (M, 44) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:26:23 ~ Andrew Smyth (M, 25) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:26:41 ~ Tad David (M, 43) Tallahassee, FL
Top Ten Women, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2012 Pine Run 20K at Tall Timbers
- 1:35:05 ~ Jane Johnson (F, 53) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:41:02 ~ Kate Chunka (F, 29) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:42:08 ~ Michelle Burke (F, 43) Fernandina Beach, FL
- 1:43:52 ~ Melissa Hooke (F, 34) Crawfordville, FL
- 1:44:40 ~ Nancy Stedman (F, 50) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:45:26 ~ Jamie Harris (F, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:45:47 ~ Urska Dobersek (F, 29) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:48:07 ~ Sarrah Carroll (F, 30) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:48:38 ~ Alison Thumm (F, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 1:48:39 ~ Nancy Moody (F, 28) Thomasville, GA
|Champions of GWTC's Pine Run at Tall Timbers 20K, 2008-2012|
|11 October 2008||77:45 Vince Molosky||87:32 Kati Gosnell|
|2 October 2009||75:22 Jay Wallace||86:21 Sheryl Rosen|
|9 October 2010||73:39 Vince Molosky||90:21 Jane Johnson|
|8 October 2011||73:15 Kevin Sullivan||84:02 Sheryl Rosen|
|13 October 2012||74:48 Vince Molosky||95:05 Jane Johnson|
- Complete results of the 2012 GWTC Pine Run at Tall Timbers 20K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2012 Gulf Winds Track Club Pine Run at Tall Timbers 20K
- 2011 story, "Sullivan and Rosen tumble records at Tall Timbers"
- 2010 story, "Molosky and Johnson find their way to wins at Pine Run 20K"
- 2009 story, "Wallace, Rosen winners at the 2009 Pine Run"
- If there's another cross-country race like the Pine Run scheduled, it'll be listed here