She was talking about the hills on the Shamrock Scurry 5K course. The "little one" would be the climb on Longford Drive up to Shamrock South, about a quarter mile from the finish line at Killearn United Methodist Church. Call it Pancake Hill--either because it's the last hill you negotiate before they serve you post-race pancakes at the church, or because of the way the hill leaves you feeling. Neither Pancake Hill nor any other hill on the course could have been too much of a problem for Grayson, though. The Thomasville master runner ended up being the first woman finisher in the 2013 Shamrock Scurry 5K, placing 11th overall in 20:38.
The race on Saturday morning, 9 March 2013 was the 25th named the Shamrock Scurry, but not the 25th annual. The first Shamrock Scurry 5K was run from Killearn UMC in 1981. The race continued without interruption through 1996, although there was a year when it had to be postponed a couple of months because of the 1993 "Storm of the Century." A long hiatus followed, after which a Shamrock Scurry 5K was run at Celebration Baptist Church from 2004 to 2008. There was no event in 2009, but in 2010 the Shamrock Scurry resumed on its original course and location at Killearn UMC. So you could call this year's race the fourth annual, or the 20th running at Killearn UMC, or the 25th running overall, or the 32nd anniversary race. Take your pick.
Whatever number you chose, well over 600 athletes left the church for the streets of Killearn in this year's Shamrock Scurry. FSU NROTC midshipman Stanley Linton paced the parade down Shamrock West, hitting the mile in 5:05. Nate Kaiser led the pursuit of Linton, but Kaiser was already 100 meters down when Linton crested the hill at the two-mile mark in 10:14. Barely noticing Pancake Hill, Linton ran home in 16:13--the fastest time since the Scurry was revived in 2010. Kaiser followed, finishing runner-up in 16:50. Maclay School's Jake Mazziotta was third in 18:40. FSU student Chris O'Kelley held off Tallahassee master runner Bing Xu for fourth, 19:12 to 19:13.
Mary Anne Grayson has run every Shamrock Scurry starting from 2010, when the race returned to Killearn UMC. That year she finished a close second in the women's division behind Anna Busby. Since then, Grayson took third place in 2011 and 2012, deciding that the Scurry was one of her favorite races. This year's Scurry certainly isn't going to change Grayson's mind. She led the women's field from the start, and in spite of any distress she may have felt on Pancake Hill, went on to take the women's title in 20:38. Her nemesis from 2010, Anna Busby of Capital City Runners, was runner-up among the women, finishing 15th overall in 21:18.
In addition to some 600 finishers in the 5K, more than 250 completed a one-mile fun run. Add in nearly 200 volunteers, and that's quite a mob. Nevertheless, anyone in the horde who was hungry was served post-race pancakes and sausage. It was a small-town touch for what is becoming quite a big race.
Top Ten Males, 2013 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- 16:13 ~ Stanley Linton (M, 19) Crawfordville, FL
- 16:50 ~ Nate Kaiser (M, 33) Tallahassee, FL
- 18:40 ~ Jake Mazziotta (M, 14) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:12 ~ Chris O' Kelley (M, 19) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:13 ~ Bing Xu (M, 45) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:16 ~ Aaron Guyer (M, 37) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:32 ~ James Taylor (M, 49) Perry, FL
- 19:54 ~ Dan Anderson (M, 49) Perry, FL
- 20:27 ~ Michael La Bossiere (M, 46) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:56 ~ Daniel McNair (M, 28)
Top Ten Females, Shamrock Scurry 5K
- 20:38 ~ Mary Anne Grayson (F, 47) Thomasville, GA
- 21:18 ~ Anna Busby (F, 22) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:28 ~ Jillian Heddaeus (F, 29) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:28 ~ Shannon Colavecchio (F, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:52 ~ Beth Culley (F, 48) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:04 ~ Mary Vancore (F, 49) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:46 ~ Martha Bademan (F, 28) Tallahassee, FL
- 24:53 ~ Liz Cockrell (F, 47)
- 24:57 ~ Emily Culley (F, 12) Tallahassee, FL
- 25:10 ~ Debbie Peters (F, 52) Tallahassee, FL
|Known Shamrock Scurry 5K winners, 1981-2012|
|13 March 1982||17:05, Paul Hodge||21:22, Cathy Shuler|
|12 March 1983||15:35, Adam Pinkston||19:21, Cheryl Jennings|
|17 March 1984||16:19, Bobby Shackleford||17:42, Nellie Orr|
|16 March 1985||14:35, Jeff Wentworth||19:20, Angie Crook|
|15 March 1986||15:33, David Keen||18:42, Janice Hochstein|
|7 March 1987||15:21, Richard Corbett||18:15, Janice Hochstein|
|12 March 1988||16:01, Bill Crooks||19:59, Robin Tanner|
|11 March 1989||15:57, Bill Crooks||19:32, Yvonne Gsteiger|
|17 March 1990||15:39, John Charlton||20:07 Jane Henderson|
|16 March 1991||15:32, Gary Droze||19:15, Vikki Saga|
|14 March 1992||15:53, Jessie Close||17:50, Paula Johnson|
|8 May 1993|
|19 March 1994||15:17, Robin Rogers||18:38, Jane Johnson|
|18 March 1995|
|13 March 2004||16:02, Ryder Leary||16:44, Sinead Evans|
|5 March 2005||16:29, Matthew Dobson||19:21, Breeda Willis|
|18 March 2006||18:21, Michael Martinez||20:10, Jennifer Emo|
|17 March 2007||15:43, Joey Zins||21:55, Jun Inoue|
|15 March 2008||14:47, Mark Carroll||16:55, Barbara Parker|
|13 March 2010||17:25, Jay Wallace||21:03, Anna Busby|
|12 March 2011||18:14, Peter Kaus||19:35, Sheryl Rosen|
|10 March 2012||16:27, Stephen Cox||19:43, Carrie Seiberlich|
|9 March 2013||16:13, Stanley Linton||20:38, Mary Anne Grayson|
|Originally scheduled for March 13, the 1993 race had to be|
postponed because of a severe winter storm.
The Shamrock Scurry was held from Killearn UMC from 1981
The Shamrock Scurry was not held from 1997 to 2003.
From 2004 to 2008 the Shamrock Scurry was held from
Celebration Baptist Church.
The Shamrock Scurry was not held in 2009.
From 2010 to 2013 the Shamrock Scurry was held from Killearn
- Complete results of the 2013 Shamrock Scurry 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2013 Shamrock Scurry 5K (Part 1)
- More photos of the 2013 Shamrock Scurry 5K (Part 2)
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2013 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- 2012 story, "Cox and Seiberlich rock the Shamrock"
- 2011 story, "No 'Luck of the Irish' needed for either Kaus or Rosen at Scurry"
- 2010 story, "Wallace and Busby Scurry to Wins"
- USATF course certification map of the Shamrock Scurry 5K (FL10021EBM)
- Find your next race in the Tallahassee region on the Trouble Afoot! calendar