"That was awesome!" said Tamer. "I'm so glad I had someone to run with."
"I was cheering for him even though he was beating me," said Cox. "I knew he was pulling me to a faster time."
"We went into the race knowing that we were going to help each other out today," explained Tamer. "We didn't really have a plan, but we knew we'd work together on the first mile. We worked together on the second mile, and the third was every man for himself."
Race plans have to be flexible, though. As soon as the race started, Trevor Sununu dashed into the lead. Sununu had won the Tulip Trot 5K two weeks earlier, and it looked like he was trying to win the Run For The Cookies in the first 50 meters. Tamer, a middle-distance specialist in his days at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, was concerned.
"I asked Stephen, 'Are we going fast enough?'" recalled Tamer.
Sununu was still setting the pace half a mile into the run, but by then Cox and Tamer had all but closed the gap. Before the end of the first mile Sununu was in third watching Cox and Tamer open a lead. True to plan, Tamer took off with just over a mile to go, getting a lead on Cox. It was never a big lead, though. Tamer ran hard to stay ahead; Cox ran hard to catch up. Fast times came out of the struggle, as Tamer raced home with the win in 15:40 and Cox took second in 15:46. Behind them with half a mile to go, Maclay School distance runners Clay Milford and James McClure overtook Sununu then raced for home. Milford took third in 17:06 and McClure was fourth in 17:11. Sununu placed fifth in 17:17. Milford and McClure's coach at Maclay, master runner Gary Droze, followed Sununu home in sixth at 17:28.
"I was hoping to break 18 minutes," said women's champion Sheryl Rosen. "I had a good first mile, but I locked up during the second mile."
Her competition probably didn't notice. Winning the Cookie Run for the second time, Rosen finished the race in 18:04, very close to her 18:00 goal and nearly two minutes ahead of the next woman in the race. Unlike Cox and Tamer, Rosen wasn't ever pushed by a rival.
"I got to run with some of the guys," said Rosen.
Renee Cox was runner-up on the women's side, coming in 20th overall in 20:03, an improvement on her 20:16 at the previous year's race. Montford Middle School cross-country runner Caitlyn Wilkey was third in the women's standings, placing 22nd overall in 20:21. Alyson Churchill of Swift Creek Middle School was right behind her, 23rd in 20:24. The fifth woman finisher was Vicky Droze, 26th overall in 21:15. The sixth woman and fastest female master was Angela Dempsey, 30th overall in 22:02.
Following the Run For The Cookies, Sheryl Rosen has plans for a change of training.
"I was focusing on speed," said Rosen. "Now I'm going to focus on distance going into the Gate River Run 15K in Jacksonville."
While Rosen is moving on to longer distances on the roads, Remy Tamer is going to stay at 5K, but on the track. His next race will be the 5000-meters at the UNC-Wilmington Alumni Meet on 14 March 2015. It will be a bittersweet homecoming because this will be UNCW's last track meet--the school dropped track and field as a sport. After that Tamer would like to race closer to home at the FSU Relays on 28 March 2015, again in the 5000 meters.
"Unless I run the 1500," added Tamer.
Once a miler, always a miler. Miler or long-distance man, though, athletics is looking bright for Tamer right now.
"This is the longest I've been healthy since college," he said.
Top Ten Men, 2015 Run For The Cookies 5K
- 15:40 ~ Remy Tamer (M, 25)
- 15:46 ~ Stephen Cox (M, 31)
- 17:06 ~ Clay Milford (M, 15)
- 17:11 ~ James McClure (M, 15)
- 17:17 ~ Trevor Sununu (M, 19)
- 17:28 ~ Gary Droze (M, 53)
- 17:43 ~ Adam Greenstein (M, 23)
- 17:52 ~ Rik Pool (M, 20)
- 17:52 ~ Sean Hudson (M, 44)
- 17:54 ~ Eric Godin (M, 30)
Top Ten Women, 2015 Run For The Cookies 5K
- 18:04 ~ Sheryl Rosen (F, 30)
- 20:03 ~ Renee Cox (F, 27)
- 20:21 ~ Caitlin Wilkey (F, 13)
- 20:24 ~ Alyson Churchill (F, 12)
- 21:15 ~ Vicky Droze (F, 39)
- 22:02 ~ Angela Dempsey (F, 46)
- 22:26 ~ Megan Churchill (F, 12)
- 22:53 ~ Sara Rulten (F, 17)
- 23:40 ~ Martha Bademan (F, 30)
- 23:54 ~ Hope Hoffman (F, 34)
|Run For The Cookies 5K champions, 1994 - 2015|
|19 February 1994||16:12 ~ Gary Droze-1||18:51 ~ Carrie Weyant-1||85|
|25 February 1995||15:42 ~ Gary Droze-2||18:15 ~ Jane Johnson||186|
|24 February 1996||16:08 ~ Gary Droze-3||19:57 ~ Chateau Mangaroo||175|
|22 February 1997||15:17 ~ Gary Droze-4||19:02 ~ Carrie Weyant-2||150|
|28 February 1998||15:38 ~ Jason Ritter||17:29 ~ Sarah Docter-Williams-1||207|
|27 February 1999||16:17 ~ David Ogletree||17:38 ~ Sarah Docter-Williams-2||258|
|26 February 2000||16:23 ~ Robert Pautienus||17:53 ~ Kim Winn||294|
|24 February 2001||15:59 ~ Kevin Danahy||17:30 ~ Sarah Docter-Williams-3||231|
|23 February 2002||15:25 ~ Lee Willis-1||16:18 ~ Breeda Dennehy-Willis-1||248|
|15 February 2003||15:49 ~ Lee Willis-2||16:30 ~ Breeda Dennehy-Willis-2||152|
|14 February 2004||17:07 ~ Timothy Bolton||18:06 ~ Sarah Docter-Williams-4||93|
|12 February 2005||16:23 ~ Justin Jacobs||17:43 ~ Sarah Docter-Williams-5||258|
|11 February 2006||16:49 ~ Kyle Larson||19:04 ~ Stephanie Liles-1||156|
|10 February 2007||15:53 ~ Judson Cake||19:06 ~ Zika Rea||386|
|9 February 2008||16:45 ~ Tripp Southerland||19:35 ~ Stephanie Liles-2||411|
|7 February 2009||16:16 ~ Chris Lake-1||18:40 ~ Audrey Hand||550|
|13 February 2010||16:27 ~ Chris Lake-2||18:11 ~ Amy Hines-1||432|
|12 February 2011||15:50 ~ Kevin Sullivan||19:02 ~ Sheryl Rosen-1||431|
|11 February 2012||16:07 ~ Alex Smyth||17:36 ~ Amy Hines-2||685|
|9 February 2013||16:00 ~ Stanley Linton-1||17:43 ~ Chelsi Woodruff||602|
|8 February 2014||15:24 ~ Stanley Linton-2||17:54 ~ Carly Thomas||369|
|14 February 2015||15:40 ~ Remy Tamer||18:04 ~ Sheryl Rosen-2||332|
|The Run For The Cookies was held at Tallahassee Mall from 1994 to 1996,|
and at Tallahassee Community College from 1997 to the present.
A big thank-you to Mark Priddy for his help in completing this summary.
- Complete results of the 2015 “Run For The Cookies” 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2015 “Run For The Cookies” 5K
- Part 1: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10105765815162043.1073742068.5215641&l=9225d4d1d2
- Part 2:
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2015 “Run For The Cookies”
- Part 1: https://picasaweb.google.com/112560881455823075870/Cookie_155870/Cookie_15
- Part 2: https://picasaweb.google.com/112560881455823075870/CokkieMile
- “Run For The Cookies” 5K USATF course certification map (FL14006EBM)
- 2014 story, “Linton and Thomas take the cake at Run For The Cookies”
- 2013 story, “Linton and Woodruff prove to be tough cookies”
- 2011 story, "Sheryl Rosen wins by a thin mint, Kevin Sullivan by a bakery”
- 2010 story: “It's Lake and Hines for all the cookies!”
- “Run for the cookies, but look out for those Samoas”
- Find your next race in the Tallahassee region on the Trouble Afoot! race calendar