The third one was the Tails and Trails Half Marathon on Saturday morning, 7 May 2016, and this time DeVeau had finished runner-up to Matt Mizereck of Capital City Runners. Mizereck won the race by over a mile, covering 13.1 miles of roots, hills, and trails in 1:19:49. Florida State University economics professor Katie Sherron won the women's title, placing 21st overall in 1:45:20. 178 athletes finished the half marathon.
An annual event benefiting the Tallahassee-Leon County Animal Shelter Foundation, the Tails and Trails had started off in 2002 as the Furry Scurry 5K. By 2016 the name had changed and the event had grown to include four different races. Add a few throws and jumps and you could almost mistake the Tails and Trails for a track meet. That is, you could if it weren't for the courses, which no one could confuse with a track. Although the races all start on the road in front of the animal shelter, the competitors soon find themselves on the paths of Tom Brown Park and the Lafayette Heritage Trail, going up and down the hills surrounding Lake Lafayette.
The half marathon was only added to the program in 2015, but it was the first race on the schedule in 2016. Mizereck was soon in the lead. Not much later he was out of sight. His rivals didn't catch another glimpse of him till he was on his way back, past the halfway turnaround on the far side of the Canopy Greenway Bridge. While DeVeau couldn't challenge Mizereck, DeVeau himself was unchallenged by the other runners in the field. Behind him, though, master runners Myles Gibson and Geb Kiros were in a tight race for third. Mizereck got the win in 1:19:49, while DeVeau took second in 1:25:57. Gibson put some ground on Kiros late in the race to take third, 1:26:33 to 1:27:05.
Early in the race, the women's competition was closer than the men's, with Katie Sherron and Nancy Stedman sharing the lead through three miles.
"Nancy and I talked before the race, so we knew we were both shooting for about 1:50," explained Sherron.
Both runners more than met that goal, but especially Sherron. Leaving Stedman behind after three miles, Sherron captured the women's crown in 1:45:20. Stedman was the second female finisher and first woman master, placing 25th overall in 1:48:07. Allison Born was third in the women's standings, coming in 35th overall in 1:54:46.
"I never know how I'm going to be feeling these days," said Sherron after the race. That's understandable; she's currently six months pregnant. From the win, we'll have to conclude that she was feeling well.
"It was really nice weather," said Sherron. "Just beautiful in the shade."
Top Ten Men, 2016 “Tails and Trails” Half Marathon
- 1:19:49 ~ Matt Mizereck (M, 24)
- 1:25:57 ~ Zach DeVeau (M, 28)
- 1:26:33 ~ Myles Gibson (M, 49)
- 1:27:05 ~ Geb Kiros (M, 49)
- 1:27:23 ~ Jonathan Manry (M, 37)
- 1:30:17 ~ Paul Guyas (M, 38)
- 1:32:08 ~ John Schwenkler (M, 34)
- 1:34:57 ~ Ryan Turner (M, 34)
- 1:36:35 ~ Tad David (M, 47)
- 1:36:49 ~ Jon Mason (M, 42)
Top Ten Women, 2016 “Tails and Trails” Half Marathon
- 1:45:20 ~ Katie Sherron (F, 34)
- 1:48:07 ~ Nancy Stedman (F, 54)
- 1:54:46 ~ Allison Born (F, 27)
- 1:56:17 ~ Christine Plutschack (F, 27)
- 1:56:56 ~ Kathy Greene (F, 43)
- 1:59:19 ~ Danielle Titus Titus (F, 28)
- 1:59:37 ~ Rachel Lovestrand (F, 28)
- 2:00:20 ~ Marie Dennis (F, 41)
- 2:00:34 ~ April Bentley (F, 42)
- 2:01:12 ~ Jamie Ito (F, 36)
After earning a degree in mathematics and a commission in the United States Navy, Stanley Linton ended his Florida State University running career during the spring of 2016. However, he certainly wasn't through with his running career in general. Ensign Linton blazed a 37:45 to win the Tails and Trail 10K, finishing more than 800 meters ahead of the next runner. Jim Halley was runner-up in the 6.2-mile race with a 41:09. Bill McNulty was the top master runner and third overall with a 43:54.
Anna Busby of Capital City Runners was the first woman in the 10K, coming in sixth overall in 45:48. Melanie Leitman was second in the women's standings and ninth overall in 48:01. Jill Sweeny was the third woman finisher, sixteenth overall in 50:38. Monica Judd was the top woman master and fourth female finisher, nineteenth overall in 51:38.
191 athletes completed the Tails and Trails 10K.
Top Ten Men, 2016 “Tails and Trails” 10K
- 37:45 ~ Stanley Linton (M, 22)
- 41:09 ~ Jim Halley (M, 36)
- 43:54 ~ Bill McNulty (M, 57)
- 44:47 ~ Jeremy Fowler (M, 28)
- 44:54 ~ Chuck Lang (M, 50)
- 47:53 ~ Andrew Treat (M, 29)
- 47:56 ~ Camilo Ordonez (M, 37)
- 48:37 ~ Barney Ray (M, 53)
- 48:40 ~ Nicholas Samuel (M, 12)
- 48:40 ~ Juan Ordonez (M, 42)
Top Ten Women, 2016 “Tails and Trails” 10K
- 45:48 ~ Anna Busby (F, 25)
- 48:01 ~ Melanie Leitman (F, 32)
- 50:38 ~ Jill Sweeny (F, 35)
- 51:38 ~ Monica Judd (F, 41)
- 53:52 ~ Marien Dimacali (F, 54)
- 55:19 ~ Jennifer Desantis (F, 38)
- 56:10 ~ Belinda Wharton (F, 55)
- 56:50 ~ Fran McLean (F, 58)
- 57:50 ~ Megan Federico (F, 32)
- 58:07 ~ Francee Laywell (F, 54)
Too far ahead to be caught but too close to be comfortable, Peter Van Brussel won the Tails and Trails 5K race over Drew Farrington, 18:20 to 18:30. Lincoln High senior Teddy Feracho was third in 20:15.
Brittney Barnes was the women's champ in the 3.1-mile race, finishing fifth overall in 20:50. Katie Sack was runner-up for the women and eleventh overall in 22:45. Kenya Rich was the fastest master runner in the race and the third female finisher, placing 26th overall in 24:33.
A record 562 athletes finished the 5K, while another 55 went the distance in the one-mile fun run. Gulf Winds Track Club chip-timed all four races.
Top Ten Men, 2016 “Tails and Trails” 5K
- 18:20 ~ Peter Van Brussel (M, 22)
- 18:30 ~ Drew Farrington (M, 29)
- 20:15 ~ JR Feracho (M, 18)
- 20:44 ~ Aaron Taylor (M, 22)
- 22:04 ~ Conor Bassham (M, 12)
- 22:16 ~ Travis Pickels (M, 28)
- 22:19 ~ Henry Gilmore (M, 27)
- 22:30 ~ Hayden Swier (M, 20)
- 22:41 ~ Martin Laguerre (M, 24)
- 22:52 ~ Brian Black (M, 37)
Top Ten Women, 2016 “Tails and Trails” 5K
- 20:50 ~ Brittney Barnes (F, 28)
- 22:45 ~ Katie Sack (F, 24)
- 24:33 ~ Kenya Rich (F, 43)
- 25:08 ~ Martha Guyas (F, 31)
- 25:34 ~ Dorothy Thames (F, 34)
- 25:39 ~ Alese Autore (F, 38)
- 27:36 ~ Jessica Deneen (F, 25)
- 27:51 ~ Skylar Brenneman (F, 11)
- 27:56 ~ Hope Tompkins (F, 42)
- 28:02 ~ Ella Porcher (F, 11)
|“Tails and Trails” winners, 2002 - 2016|
|30 March 2002||5K||19:49, Tim Bolton||23:06, Carrie Weyant||179|
|15 March 2003||5K||20:47, Justin Dickieson||24:20, Carrie Weyant||218|
|20 March 2004||5K||18:56, Gary Droze||23:02, Seeley Lovett||221|
|19 March 2005||5K||18:51, Mathew Dobson||23:12, Stephanie Liles||186|
|18 March 2006||10K||37:46, Vince Molosky||46:49, Kim Likens||73|
|5K||22:06, Roger Michaud||21:48, Stephanie Liles||178|
|5 May 2007||10K||36:43, Vince Molosky||43:54, Jana Stolting||80|
|5K||17:31, Tripp Southerland||24:22, Claire Fruchtnicht||250|
|3 May 2008||10K||37:23, Vince Molosky||41:55, Karen Geletko||141|
|5K||20:54, Jason Graham||21:57, Katrina Unglaub||272|
|2 May 2009||10K||35:07, Vince Molosky||41:34, Sheryl Rosen||148|
|5K||17:24, John Robida||18:59, Kelsey Scheitlin||464|
|1 May 2010||10K||35:44, Vince Molosky||42:38, Micah Adriani||315|
|5K||16:37, Ken Youngers||22:13, Lisa Finn||355|
|30 April 2011||10K||36:41, Vince Molosky||41:06, Heather Griffis|
|5K||17:04, Kevin Sullivan||19:41, Kelly Stevens|
|5 May 2012||10K||34:52, Stanley Linton||41:38, Micah Adriani||246|
|5K||18:22, Jonathan Grisiaffi||23:00, Stephanie Stout||494|
|4 May 2013||10K||36:29, Vince Molosky||46:31, Lindsey Pfau||207|
|5K||16:26, Stanley Linton||19:40, Micah Adriani||521|
|3 May 2014||10K||37:04, Matthew Cashin||46:12, Urska Dobersek||211|
|5K||16:53, Adam Wallenfelsz||20:55, Sara Lane||359|
|2 May 2015||Half Marathon||1:25:43, Eric Godin||1:49:34, Mary Jane Hayden||92|
|10K||37:22, Matthew Cashin||46:04, Brittney Barnes||278|
|5K||17:06, Roger Schmidt||20:25, Alese Autore||552|
|7 May 2016||Half Marathon||1:19:49, Matt Mizereck||1:45:20, Katie Sherron||178|
|10K||37:45, Stanley Linton||45:48, Anna Busby||191|
|5K||18:20, Peter Van Brussel||20:50, Brittney Barnes||562|
|From 2002 to 2006 the event was called the "Furry Scurry."|
No 10K was held before 2006.
No Half Marathon was held prior to 2015.
- Complete results of the 2016 “Tails and Trails” at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2016 “Tails and Trails”
- Part 1: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10107602293290153.1073742189.5215641&l=a8037fa683
- Part 2: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10107602746447023.1073742190.5215641&l=b9bca234d9
- 2015 story, “Godin and Hayden prosper on the longer trail at ‘Tails & Trails’”
- 2014 story, “Flooding doesn't stop Tails & Trails, Cashin, or Dobersek”
- 2013 story, “Molosky back on top in the 'Tails & Trails' 10K”
- 2012 story, “Linton and Adriani kick tails on the trails”
- 2011 story, “Molosky and Griffis tear up the trails at Tom Brown”
- 2010 story, “Molosky and Adriani best the field at 'Tails and Trails'”
- 2009 story, “2009 'Tails and Trails' 5K / 10K”
- Find an upcoming race on the trails of the Tallahassee region on the Trouble Afoot! calendar