The field of the Trash Dash enjoyed excellent conditions for cross country running--clear skies, a gentle breeze, and temperatures around 50 degrees when the race started just after 8:30 AM. As soon as the runners were under way Ricardo Estremera bolted into the lead. He wasn't unfamiliar with the trails at Apalachee Regional Park.
"I ran the men's 8K at the FSU Invitational here last month," said Estremera. "I led that race for a few miles."
Estremera led the Trash Dash the entire way, unchallenged during his winning run. His 15:10 was the fastest Trash Dash 5K ever. Still, it wasn't the time that he was looking for.
"I'm a 14:00-low guy," said Estremera. "I started off right. I went 4:38 on the first mile, but I fell off during the second mile."
Estremera is a doctoral candidate working on a dissertation in sociolinguistics. He currently works at Capital City Runners, and he'll be teaching Spanish at Florida State University during spring semester.
Florida A & M University student Joseph Garcia placed second in 16:15. Michael Nazareth, a first-year student at Tallahassee Community College, was third in 17:09, and Lincoln High cross country runner Josh Liles took fourth in 17:21. The battle for fifth place and the top master runner spot went nearly to the wire, with Michael Martinez ultimately getting the nod over Jay Wallace, 18:24 to 18:27.
The women's side of the Trash Dash developed into a race between two Florida State cross country runners. Bella Poole was leading the ladies' field halfway through the race, with Tara Rooney trailing by 30 meters. Rooney didn't stay 30 meters back, though. The sophomore from Vernon Hills, Illinois gradually reeled in Poole, then built her own lead in the final half kilometer of the race, winning the women's title in 19:28. Poole was second in the women's standings with a 19:34. Florida State cross country runners also took the next two women's spots, with Alex Midgett finishing 15th overall in 20:09 and Cecilia McMillan 17th overall in 20:15. In fact, the first eleven female finishers were all on the Seminoles' cross country team. But it's not unexpected that cross country runners would do well in a cross country race.
"Apalachee Regional Park is a real success story," said Leon County Commissioner Bryan Desloge. Desloge finished the race in 34:17, coming in 76th. "There have been a lot of events out here this year."
2015 has been one of the busiest years for the Apalachee Regional Park Championship Cross Country Course. Before the Trash Dash the course hosted the Big Bend Pop Warner 5K, both days of the FSU Invitational, the ACC Cross Country Championship, the FHSAA 3A District 3 Cross Country Meet, and the FHSAA State Cross Country Championship. The FACA Senior All Star Cross Country Classic and the Tannenbaum 6K are slated before the end of the year. But on 14 November 2015, ARPXC belonged to Ricardo Estremera and the Trash Dash 5K.
Top Ten Men, 2015 Trash Dash 5K
- 15:10 ~ Ricardo Estremera (M, 29)
- 16:15 ~ Joseph Garcia (M, 20)
- 17:09 ~ Michael Nazareth (M, 19)
- 17:21 ~ Joshua Liles (M, 16)
- 18:24 ~ Michael Martinez (M, 49)
- 18:27 ~ Jay Wallace (M, 51)
- 18:52 ~ Evan Guarino (M, 17)
- 18:57 ~ George Gwynn (M, 18)
- 19:08 ~ Zach Deveau (M, 28)
- 19:28 ~ Matthias Laywell (M, 17)
Top Ten Women, 2015 Trash Dash 5K
- 19:28 ~ Tara Rooney (F, 20)
- 19:34 ~ Bella Poole (F, 20)
- 20:09 ~ Alexandra Midgett (F, 21)
- 20:15 ~ Cecilia McMillan (F, 21)
- 20:28 ~ Lauren Aronson (F, 19)
- 20:41 ~ Haley Slocum (F, 20)
- 20:42 ~ Hollis Bartlett (F, 21)
- 20:47 ~ Brittany Carey (F, 21)
- 20:53 ~ Mackenzie Baysinger (F, 18)
- 20:58 ~ Bridget Reid (F, 19)
|Trash Dash winners, 2011 - 2015|
|19 November 2011||17:53, Brian Corbin||21:28, Sheryl Rosen|
|10 November 2012||17:52, Roger Schmidt||20:33, Katie Showman||98|
|16 November 2013||15:54, Stanley Linton||19:06, Emily Ness||136|
|8 November 2014||17:12, Roger Schmidt||20:07, Katie Sherron||80|
|14 November 2015||15:10, Ricardo Estremera||19:28, Tara Rooney||99|
- Complete results of the 2015 Trash Dash 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2015 Trash Dash 5K
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2015 Trash Dash 5K
- 2014 story, “Schmidt and Sherron take out the Trash”
- 2013 story, “No rubbish runs for Linton or Ness at the Trash Dash”
- 2012 story, “Schmidt and Showman dump their competition in the Trash Dash”
- 2011 story, “Corbin and Rosen weren't talking trash”
- Find the next trash dash, rubbish run, or garbage gallop on the Trouble Afoot! calendar