2-1-1 Big Bend's second run through the Southwood community of Tallahassee, Florida, started on a cool, clear Saturday morning, 31 January 2015. Unlike 2014, the second Run 2-1-1 included a 10K in addition to the 5K. It wasn't the only change; there was also a new course.
"Featuring never before run tracks!" declared the race materials.
This was possible because Schoolhouse Road had just been extended east and Biltmore Avenue extended south, meeting in a new intersection. What wasn't mentioned about the "never before run tracks" was that both the 10K course and the 5K course took the runners on a climb from the coastal plain up into the Red Hills via the slopes of the Cody Scarp. In brief, both races got to do a lot of uphill two kilometers from the finish line.
Everyone had to do the same uphill, though, including 10K winner Isabel Anderson.
"I was really surprised," said Anderson about the win. "I though someone was ahead of me the whole time."
Instead, Anderson led the way up every hill on her way to a 48:07 win. If no one was ahead, though, someone was not far behind. April Bentley finished less than 40 meters behind Anderson in 48:18, finishing second overall as the second woman and first woman master. Top male finisher Craig Asselin was likewise only just over 50 meters ahead of master runner Clement Allen as they crossed the finish line in 50:18 and 50:32.
Top Ten Women, 2014 2-1-1 Big Bend 10K
- 48:07 ~ Isabel Anderson (F, 35)
- 48:18 ~ April Bentley (F, 40)
- 51:06 ~ Kenya Rich (F, 42)
- 52:07 ~ Belinda Wharton (F, 54)
- 54:04 ~ Janice Hochstein (F, 64)
- 54:43 ~ Deanna Edwards (F, 40)
- 58:09 ~ Christina Moreau (F, 23)
- 58:43 ~ Theresa Zerkle (F, 48)
- 59:22 ~ Myra Blombergh (F, 32)
- 59:54 ~ Cheri Raney (F, 0)
Top Ten Men, 2014 2-1-1 Big Bend 10K
- 50:18 ~ Craig Asselin (M, 32)
- 50:32 ~ Clement Allen (M, 47)
- 50:58 ~ Michael Ma (M, 0)
- 51:06 ~ Michael He (M, 39)
- 51:19 ~ Free Blombergh (M, 35)
- 55:30 ~ Steve Schale (M, 40)
- 58:50 ~ Will Clark (M, 29)
- 59:02 ~ Jamil Jefferson (M, 0)
- 59:20 ~ Nestor Lo (M, 27)
- 86:34 ~ Dan Metzen (M, 50)
In the 5K, it was very clear to everyone that Stephanie Liles-Weyant was leading the race. Unfortunately, without anyone to follow, Liles-Weyant breezed by a turn that the 5K runners were supposed to make half a kilometer into the race. She continued onto the 10K course for a few seconds until Mike Weyant shouted a correction. Stephanie Liles-Weyant was soon leading again and made it to the finish line without additional detours, winning in 19:33. Mike Weyant, who happens to be married to the winner, was second in 20:53.
Top Ten Women, 2014 2-1-1 Big Bend 5K
- 19:33 ~ Stephanie Liles-Weyant (F, 42)
- 24:21 ~ Connie Lewis (F, 16)
- 24:22 ~ Randi Mackintosh (F, 30)
- 24:34 ~ Avery Tangen (F, 13)
- 25:46 ~ Nancy Lewis (F, 49)
- 26:07 ~ Erika Follmer (F, 30)
- 26:20 ~ Dara Galloway (F, 12)
- 27:03 ~ Mia Dancourt (F, 27)
- 27:04 ~ Vaishali Desai (F, 28)
- 28:58 ~ Lindsay Dennis (F, 36)
Top Ten Men, 2014 2-1-1 Big Bend 5K
- 20:53 ~ Mike Weyant (M, 49)
- 22:00 ~ Michael Dalsen (M, 0)
- 22:03 ~ David Duany (M, 31)
- 22:15 ~ Stefan Bourgoin (M, 30)
- 23:46 ~ Tyler Parks (M, 26)
- 24:47 ~ Jon Edwards (M, 39)
- 25:31 ~ Philip Licquia (M, 7)
- 26:28 ~ Paul Wildey (M, 34)
- 27:10 ~ Bill Snyder (M, 64)
- 28:00 ~ Whitney Ray (M, 33)
|Run 2-1-1 Big Bend winners, 2014 - 2015|
|29 January 2014||5K||16:55, Justin Martin||18:44, Emily Ness||99|
|31 January 2015||10K||48:07, Isabel Anderson||50:18, Craig Asselin||33|
|5K||20:53, Mike Weyant||19:33, Stephanie Liles-Weyant||65|
- Complete results of the 2014 2-1-1 Big Bend 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2014 2-1-1 Big Bend 5K
- 2014 story, "Hot times in Southwood for Martin and Ness"
- 2-1-1 Big Bend
- Find your next 5K or longer race in the Tallahassee region on the Trouble Afoot! calendar