After an earlier one-mile fun run was wrapped up and the national anthem was performed, the 3.1-mile main event started as scheduled at 8:30 AM on East Park Avenue near Gadsden Street. Chris Rego immediately took the lead as the runners dashed downhill toward Franklin Avenue. The math teacher was even farther ahead 800 meters farther on, when the race began a climb into the Myers Park neighborhood. FSU student Thomas Arnold followed in second, with Peter Kaus a step behind. In fourth, Gary Droze trailed Arnold and Kaus.
No one was going to catch Chris Rego that morning, though. He increased his lead through Myers Park, on the descent from the neighborhood, and on the ascent of Capitol Hill on South Monroe Street. Behind him, Thomas Arnold dropped Peter Kaus to take charge of second. Gary Droze passed Kaus to move into third. By the time the runners returned to North Gadsden Street and the finish line, Rego was over 600 meters ahead, winning the race in 15:57. Arnold placed second in 17:11, with Droze third in 17:20. Kaus took fourth in 17:33.
On the women's side Renee Cox also went right to the front immediately after the start. Going by Myers Park Cox already had a substantial lead over master runner Paula O'Neill, who was running second in the women's field. Cox continued to run strong, working her way up into the top ten overall and widening her margin over the other women. By the time Cox crossed the finish line in a women's event record of 20:01, she was almost half a kilometer ahead of the women's runner-up, Paula O'Neill. Another Tallahassee master runner, Julie Clark, was the third woman finisher, placing 28th overall in 24:02. Swift Creek Middle School cross-country runner Arianna Neely was fourth in the women's division, coming in 35th overall in 25:10.
Top Ten Men, 2013 Tallahassee VetFest 5K
- 15:56.61 ~ Chris Rego (M, 24)
- 17:10.07 ~ Thomas Arnold (M, 20)
- 17:19.79 ~ Gary Droze (M, 52)
- 17:32.88 ~ Peter Kaus (M, 29)
- 18:52.91 ~ Andrew Smyth (M, 27)
- 19:12.14 ~ Michael Kennett (M, 40)
- 19:20.11 ~ Camilo Ordoñez (M, 34)
- 19:57.02 ~ Charlie Lang (M, 15)
- 20:09.54 ~ D'Vante Morales
- 20:26.79 ~ Chuck Lang (M, 48)
Top Ten Women, 2013 Tallahassee VetFest 5K
- 20:01 ~ Renee Cox (F, 26)
- 22:16 ~ Paula O'Neill (F, 52)
- 24:02 ~ Julie Clark (F, 52)
- 25:10 ~ Arianna Neely (F, 13)
- 25:16 ~ Brittany Scanameo (F, 16)
- 25:24 ~ Jenny Brethen (F, 23)
- 26:15 ~ Leigh Dalzell (F, 44)
- 26:26 ~ Elizabeth Aliff (F, 16)
- 26:28 ~ Alithea Schoborg (F, 14)
- 26:36 ~ Lacy Randolph (F, 25 )
|Tallahassee VetFest 5K winners, 2011-2013|
|14 November 2011||16:20, Alex Smyth||22:50, Sandy Holt||169|
|12 November 2012||19:12, James Taylor||21:34, Kelly Brennan||112|
|11 November 2013||15:57, Chris Rego||20:01, Renee Cox||147|
- Complete results of the 2013 Tallahassee VetFest 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2013 Tallahassee VetFest 5K
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2013 Tallahassee VetFest 5K
- 2012 story, "James Taylor and Kelly Brennan cruise at Allen Beal 5K"
- 2011 story, "Veteran's Day victories for Smyth and Holt"
- Find a race to run on the next patriotic holiday using the Trouble Afoot! calendar