Over 200 runners stood shivering outside of Roberts Elementary School at 8:00 AM on the morning of the race, waiting for the run to begin. When the starter set the runners loose, Peter Kaus of Tallahassee bolted to the front immediately. Kaus was the first runner to cross Centerville Road into the Dublin Downs neighborhood. At the end of the first kilometer he was comfortably ahead. Tony Guillen led the pursuit, followed by Lisa Johnson, then Paul Guyas, and Joel Piotrowski. Halfway through the race, at the turnaround point on the out-and-back course, Kaus had a lead of nearly twenty seconds on Guillen. Behind Guillen, Piotrowski had moved up into third place. Guillen made up a few seconds on the way back to the school, but Kaus still well ahead at the finish line, posting 17:53 for the win. Guillen was runner-up in 18:07. Piotrowski took third in 18:48, and Guyas was fourth in 19:02.
Lisa Johnson had founded the Red Fox Trot 5K in 2009, but this was the first year that she got a chance to run the race. Johnson certainly seized the opportunity. She left the rest of the women's field far behind, then farther behind, and still farther behind. As if beating every woman running the race that morning wasn't enough, though, Johnson also beat every woman who ever ran the Red Fox Trot 5K by setting a new women's course record. Her 19:16 demolished the old record of 19:36, set in 2013 by Micah Adriani.
Behind Johnson, Renee Cox and Jillian Heddaeus battled for second place in the women's standings, running nearly side by side for most of the race. It was only on the last kilometer that Cox was able to pull away and take the women's runner-up spot, finishing eighth overall in 20:24. Heddaeus took third on the women's side, ninth overall in 20:31. The fourth woman finisher was Cora Atkinson, 12th overall in 21:29. Atkinson had won the women's title in the first Red Fox Trot 5K in 2009.
206 athletes finished the 5K. Another 186 finished the one-mile "Trent Trot" fun run that followed the main event. The Trent Trot is named for Trent McElroy, a Roberts Elementary School fourth grader who lost his battle with cancer in the Fall of 2013. Proceeds from the races go to Roberts Elementary's Relay For Life donation to the American Cancer Society.
Top Ten Men, 2014 Red Fox Trot 5K
- 17:53 ~ Peter Kaus (M, 29)
- 18:07 ~ Tony Guillen (M, 45)
- 18:48 ~ Joel Piotrowski (M, 44)
- 19:02 ~ Paul Guyas (M, 36)
- 19:49 ~ Bing Xu (M, 45)
- 20:14 ~ Mitchell Atkinson (M, 16)
- 20:48 ~ Matt Scaringe (M, 41)
- 21:19 ~ Reikan Lin (M, 23)
- 21:56 ~ Ben Goldsberry (M, 41)
- 23:21 ~ Adam Shamy (M, 41)
Top Ten Women, 2014 Red Fox Trot 5K
- 19:16 ~ Lisa Johnson (F, 32)
- 20:24 ~ Renee Cox (F, 26)
- 20:31 ~ Jillian Heddaeus (F, 30)
- 21:29 ~ Cora Atkinson (F, 19)
- 21:50 ~ Katie Sherron (F, 32)
- 22:14 ~ Paula O'Neill (F, 52)
- 22:40 ~ Martha Bademan (F, 29)
- 22:45 ~ Amanda Hudson (F, 37)
- 22:50 ~ Kellie Gerbers (F, 27)
- 22:54 ~ Jennifer Shafer (F, 45)
|Red Fox Trot 5K winners, 2009-2014|
|17 Oct 2009||17:29, Tony Guillen||22:22, Cora Atkinson||148|
|29 Jan 2011||19:13, Cole Tessier||20:48, Laura Hanlon||199|
|28 Jan 2012||17:00, Trevor Touchton||20:19, Laura Hanlon||208|
|19 Jan 2013||16:10, Stanley Linton||19:36, Micah Adriani||268|
|25 Jan 2014||17:53, Peter Kaus||19:16, Lisa Johnson||206|
- Complete results of the 2014 Red Fox Trot 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2014 Red Fox Trot 5K
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2014 Red Fox Trot 5K
- 2013 story, "Records fall at fourth Red Fox Trot 5K"
- 2012 story, "Touchton and Hanlon set Red Fox records"
- 2011 story, "Tessier and Hanlon fox the field in the Red Fox Trot 5K"
- USATF course certification map FL11132EBM for the Red Fox Trot 5K
- Locate your next race in the Tallahassee region on the Trouble Afoot! calendar