Watching the front of the race you might be excused for thinking you were seeing the 2013 Bowlegs again. It was the same cool air, and the same course through Innovation Park. After half a mile it was the same two runners out in front of field, Stanley Linton and Vince Molosky. Just like in 2013, Linton left Molosky behind. It was a faster race this time, though, for both Linton and Molosky. Linton shaved 26 seconds off his 2013 time, breaking 16 minutes with a winning 15:46, while Molosky ran eight seconds faster than 2013 for a runner-up 16:39.
About the same time that Linton was breaking contact with Molosky, Zach DeVeau was passing Ryan Truchelut to take over third place. DeVeau was never able to challenge the leaders, but he remained in command of third, even after Truchelut was passed by Peter Kaus. Deveau finished third, posting a 17:26, while Kaus was fourth in 17:47. Tallahassee master runner Michael Martinez outkicked Truchelut to take fifth place, 17:51 to 17:53.
Like Linton, 2012 and 2013 Bowlegs women's champion Katie Sherron was on the starting line with a chance for a third straight title. Half a mile into the race, though, Tallahassee school teacher Lisa Johnson was leading the women's field, with Renee Cox and Katie Sherron well behind. Johnson continued to pull away throughout the race on her way to a 19:18 win. Cox was the second woman across the finish line, 28th overall in 20:04. Sherron was third in the women's standings, 33rd overall in 20:35. Nikky Manausa was fourth on the women's side, 38th overall in 21:18. Paula O'Neill was the fifth woman finisher and first woman master, 47th overall in 22:06.
168 athletes finished the race, which benefits the scholarship fund of the Faculty and Friends Club of Florida State University.
Top Ten Men, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship
- 15:46 ~ Stanley Linton (M, 20) Crawfordville, FL
- 16:39 ~ Vince Molosky (M, 34)
- 17:26 ~ Zach De Veau (M, 26)
- 17:47 ~ Peter Kaus (M, 29)
- 17:51 ~ Michael Martinez (M, 48)
- 17:53 ~ Ryan Truchelut (M, 28)
- 17:59 ~ Reikan Lin (M, 23)
- 18:08 ~ Tony Guillen (M, 45)
- 18:15 ~ Brian Molen (M, 37)
- 18:16 ~ Carl Nordhielm (M, 51)
Top Ten Women, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship
- 19:18 ~ Lisa Johnson (F, 32) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:04 ~ Renee Cox (F, 26)
- 20:35 ~ Katie Sherron (F, 32)
- 21:18 ~ Nikky Manausa (F, 32)
- 22:06 ~ Paula O'Neill (F, 52)
- 22:15 ~ Martha Bademan (F, 29)
- 22:22 ~ Amanda Hudson (F, 37)
- 23:09 ~ Jennifer Shafer (F, 45)
- 23:20 ~ Mary Vancore (F, 50)
- 23:42 ~ Julie Clark (F, 52)
|30 years of Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship winners, 1985-2014|
|16 FEB 1985||16:44, Scott Hinkle||18:48, Darien Andreu||153|
|15 FEB 1986||16:12, Rick Miller||20:00, Janice Hochstein||150|
|7 FEB 1987||15:54, Randy Jordan||20:00, Sarah Patterson||186|
|13 FEB 1988||16:05, Rick Miller||20:02, Janice Hochstein||220|
|4 FEB 1989||15:44, Rick Miller||20:02, Barbara Balzer||165|
|10 FEB 1990||17:28, Felton Wright||19:30, Paula Johnson||112|
|16 FEB 1991||16:15, Bill Crooks||20:37, Tina Davies||67|
|15 FEB 1992||15:51, Mike Macinko||18:37, Paula Johnson||81|
|20 FEB 1993||15:33, Gary Droze||19:33, Carrie Hunnicutt||143|
|19 FEB 1994||16:02, Phillip Healy||22:18, Chateau Mangaroo||83|
|18 FEB 1995||15:41, Reid Montini||18:09, Jane Johnson||158|
|17 FEB 1996||16:12, Tim Simpkins||19:33, Janice Hochstein||77|
|15 FEB 1997||15:45, Gary Droze||18:20, Jane Johnson||163|
|14 FEB 1998||16:23, Damian Wilson||17:47, Sarah Docter-Williams||104|
|13 FEB 1999||15:57, Robert Pautenius||16:54, Breeda Dennehy-Willis||77|
|12 FEB 2000||15:49, Aaron Scheer||20:42, Laurel Slyck||83|
|10 FEB 2001||16:48, Gary Droze||18:18, Sarah Docter-Williams|
|9 FEB 2002||16:20, Thomas Kunish||20:20, Allison Eagen||77|
|8 FEB 2003||16:56, Paul Orfield||21:15, Fran McLean||76|
|21 FEB 2004||17:06, Adam David Churchill||18:21, Breeda Dennehy-Willis||82|
|15 JAN 2005||17:42, Art Remillard||18:10, Sarah Docter-Williams||72|
|14 JAN 2006||16:43, Shawn Patterson||19:22, Stephanie Liles||152|
|20 JAN 2007||17:37, Matt Mizereck||19:02, Sheryl Rosen||109|
|19 JAN 2008||16:32, Tripp Southerland||21:39, Carly Thomas||121|
|10 JAN 2009||17:59, Tim Unger||20:09, Micah Adriani||117|
|9 JAN 2010||17:21, Stephen Cox||21:01, Lauren Switzer||84|
|8 JAN 2011||16:38, Vince Molosky||19:26, Sheryl Rosen||204|
|7 JAN 2012||17:10, Stanley Linton||19:27, Katie Showman||166|
|5 JAN 2013||16:12, Stanley Linton||20:19, Katie Showman||110|
|18 JAN 2014||15:46, Stanley Linton||19:18, Lisa Johnson||168|
|From 1985 to 1994 the Bowlegs 5K was run on the main campus of Florida State University,|
starting and finishing near Tully Gym, on USATF certified course FL88014BH.
From 1995 to 2014 the Bowlegs 5K was run in Innovation Park, starting and finishing near
the College of Engineering on USATF certified course FL95008DL. The course was later
recertified with number FL12001EBM.
- Complete results of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Bowlegs 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Bowlegs 5K
- Fred Deckert's photos of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2014 Bowlegs 5K
- 2013 story, "Repeat wins for Linton and Showman at Bowlegs 5K"
- 2012 story, "Linton and Showman open 2012 with wins at Bowlegs"
- 2011 Bowlegs, "Molosky and Rosen start 2011 racing right at Bowlegs 5K"
- 2010 story, "Cox and Switzer winners at a chilly Bowlegs 5K"
- USATF course certification map FL12001EBM, Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship
- Looking for your next road race in the Tallahassee region? Try here!