It was the 27th Shamrock Scurry 5K since the first in 1981, and it started just after 8:30 AM on Roscommon Drive near Killearn United Methodist Church. Right after the start, Chris Lake and Nick Merrett were out in front of the field. Lake had run the race once before, finishing third in 2014. Merrett, a second-year distance runner at the University of West Florida, had raced track and cross country in Tallahassee. A resident of Christchurch, New Zealand, his opportunities to race on the Tallahassee roads had been limited; this was his first Shamrock Scurry. For the first half a kilometer Lake and Merrett raced together, with Lake slightly ahead. Then came the descent. For most of the next two kilometers, the course was downhill on Shamrock Drive.
"On the first downhill he got ahead," said Lake, recalling Merrett's surge into the lead. "But on the incline around two miles I caught back up."
About halfway through the race when the runners turned off of Shamrock Drive, Merrett had opened a gap on Lake. At about three kilometers, though, a major uphill marked the start of the course's climb back up to the church and the finish line. On the hill Lake closed the gap, passing Merrett. Lake had a 30-meter lead when he reached the base of the last major climb of the race, Pancake Hill. Powering up the hill then driving home, Lake had widened that margin to 80 meters when he crossed the finish line first in 16:30, 22 seconds faster than his time the previous year. Merrett was second in 16:47. Nate Kaiser had passed Vince Molosky during the second half of the race and was making up ground on Merrett during the final 800 meters, but never got close enough to make a serious challenge for second. Kaiser finished third in 16:54. Molosky was fourth in 17:39 and Maclay School coach Gary Droze was fifth in 17:44.
Chris Lake is looking forward to his next race, the Springtime 10K on 28 March 2015--Tallahassee's largest spring road race. Before that, though, there's another milestone coming up in the medical student's life.
"I find out on Friday where I'm doing my residency," said Lake. "It's a big week."
Deerlake Middle School cross-country runner Emily Molen was setting the pace for the women's field half a kilometer into the race, with master runner Carrie Seiberlich and Montford Middle School cross-country runner Caitlin Wilkey close behind. Wilkey couldn't maintain the pace, leaving Seiberlich and Molen. At the base of Pancake Hill, Seiberlich was a few strides ahead of Molen, but there was still 800 meters left to race. In those final 800 meters Molen overtook Seiberlich then raced home in 20:45 for the women's title. Seiberlich was a place behind in 21:00. Caitlin Wilkey was the third female finisher, 18th overall in 21:29. Jillian Heddaeus was fourth in the women's standings, 20th overall in 22:05.
After the race a pancakes and sausage breakfast was served to the runners at Killearn United Methodist Church. Finish line and chip timing services for the 2015 Shamrock Scurry were provided by Gulf Winds Track Club.
Top Ten Men, 2015 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- 16:30 ~ Chris Lake (M, 27)
- 16:47 ~ Nick Merrett (M, 23)
- 16:54 ~ Nate Kaiser (M, 35)
- 17:39 ~ Vince Molosky (M, 35)
- 17:44 ~ Gary Droze (M, 53)
- 18:57 ~ Colin Abbey (M, 20)
- 19:03 ~ Michael Martinez (M, 49)
- 19:34 ~ Philip Sura (M, 44)
- 19:37 ~ Carter Hay (M, 43)
- 19:46 ~ David Welling (M, 30)
Top Ten Women, 2015 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- 20:45 ~ Emily Molen (F, 13)
- 21:00 ~ Carrie Seiberlich (F, 43)
- 21:29 ~ Caitlin Wilkey (F, 13)
- 22:05 ~ Jillian Heddaeus (F, 31)
- 23:58 ~ Jennifer Shafer (F, 47)
- 24:26 ~ Kate Krizner (F, 11)
- 24:29 ~ Nancy Proctor (F, 54)
- 25:31 ~ Shannon Moore (F, 44)
- 25:44 ~ Lorien Abbey (F, 47)
- 25:53 ~ Jennifer Early (F, 31)
|Known Shamrock Scurry 5K winners, 1981 - 2015|
|13 March 1982||17:05, Paul Hodge||21:22, Cathy Shuler|
|12 March 1983||15:35, Adam Pinkston||19:21, Cheryl Jennings|
|17 March 1984||16:19, Bobby Shackleford||17:42, Nellie Orr|
|16 March 1985||14:35, Jeff Wentworth||19:20, Angie Crook|
|15 March 1986||15:33, David Keen||18:42, Janice Hochstein|
|7 March 1987||15:21, Richard Corbett||18:15, Janice Hochstein|
|12 March 1988||16:01, Bill Crooks||19:59, Robin Tanner|
|11 March 1989||15:57, Bill Crooks||19:32, Yvonne Gsteiger|
|17 March 1990||15:39, John Charlton||20:07 Jane Henderson|
|16 March 1991||15:32, Gary Droze||19:15, Vikki Saga|
|14 March 1992||15:53, Jessie Close||17:50, Paula Johnson|
|8 May 1993|
|19 March 1994||15:17, Robin Rogers||18:38, Jane Johnson|
|18 March 1995|
|13 March 2004||16:02, Ryder Leary||16:44, Sinead Evans|
|5 March 2005||16:29, Matthew Dobson||19:21, Breeda Willis|
|18 March 2006||18:21, Michael Martinez||20:10, Jennifer Emo|
|17 March 2007||15:43, Joey Zins||21:55, Jun Inoue|
|15 March 2008||14:47, Mark Carroll||16:55, Barbara Parker|
|13 March 2010||17:25, Jay Wallace||21:03, Anna Busby|
|12 March 2011||18:14, Peter Kaus||19:35, Sheryl Rosen|
|10 March 2012||16:27, Stephen Cox||19:43, Carrie Seiberlich|
|9 March 2013||16:13, Stanley Linton||20:38, Mary Anne Grayson|
|8 March 2014||15:44, Stanley Linton||19:48, Katie Sherron|
|14 March 2015||16:30, Chris Lake||20:45, Emily Molen|
|Originally scheduled for March 13, the 1993 race had to be|
postponed because of a severe winter storm.
The Shamrock Scurry was held from Killearn UMC from 1981
The Shamrock Scurry was not held from 1997 to 2003.
From 2004 to 2008 the Shamrock Scurry was held from
Celebration Baptist Church.
The Shamrock Scurry was not held in 2009.
From 2010 to 2015 the Shamrock Scurry was held from Killearn
- Complete results of the 2015 Shamrock Scurry 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2015 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- Part 1: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10105886093423443.1073742079.5215641&l=fe69a35f29
- Part 2: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10105889076400533.1073742080.5215641&l=30eb4de819
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2015 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- Part 1: https://picasaweb.google.com/112560881455823075870/Scurry1M_15
- Part 2: https://picasaweb.google.com/112560881455823075870/Scurry_15
- 2014 story, “Linton and Sherron score at the Scurry”
- 2013 story, “Linton and Grayson first up 'Pancake Hill'”
- 2012 story, “Cox and Seiberlich rock the Shamrock”
- 2011 story, “No 'Luck of the Irish' needed for either Kaus or Rosen at Scurry”
- 2010 story, “Wallace and Busby Scurry to Wins”
- USATF course certification map of the Shamrock Scurry 5K (FL10021EBM)
- Find your next race in the Tallahassee region on the Trouble Afoot! calendar