"I got a sweet gum tree ball stuck to my spikes," said Schmidt.
Schmidt weathered that and the other perils of cross country running to finish the race in 28:45, almost half a kilometer ahead of the next runner. Maclay School cross country coach Gary Droze was the top master runner in the race, coming in second overall in 30:31. Jane Skalski won the women's title, placing 21st overall in 38:07. Deborah Congdon was the first woman master and fifth female finisher, 40th overall in 42:40. 126 athletes finished the race.
The 8K started just after 8:00 AM, with runners in the Miller Landing Madness 5K sharing the first mile or so of the course--or all the running up to the first time through the water hazard. Roger Schmidt was content to follow the front runners in the 5K for that early part of the run. After all, the athletes in the shorter race would be running faster, right?
"I ran 29:03 last year. That's about a 5:50 per mile average," said Schmidt. "I thought those guys would pull me through pretty fast, but we ended up going through the mile in 6:05."
After the 5K runners turned off to do their shorter loop, Schmidt picked up the pace, running faster than the 5K field, running faster than anyone in the park that morning.
"I didn't hear any pitter patter of footsteps behind me or anything," said Schmidt. "It got lonely on the back part of the course."
Schmidt endured the solitude on his way to posting a winning time of 28:45. Behind him, master runner Gary Droze pulled away from fellow master Bryan Koon to take second in 30:31. Koon was third in 31:00.
The woman to reach the water was Victoria Richmond. At that point, a mile into the race, Jane Skalski was over half a minute behind Richmond and fifth in the women's standings. But Skalski was moving up. With a mile to go, Skalski was leading the women, ten seconds ahead of Richmond and pulling away. At the finish line Skalski was the first woman across, running 38:07. Richmond was the women's runner-up, finishing 27th overall in 39:22. Emma Spencer was third for the ladies, 28th overall in 40:00.
Top Ten Men, 2015 Miller Landing Madness 8K
- 28:45 ~ Roger Schmidt (M,24)
- 30:31 ~ Gary Droze (M,54)
- 31:00 ~ Bryan Koon (M,43)
- 32:07 ~ Peter Kaus (M,31)
- 31:57 ~ Tony Guillen (M,43)
- 32:30 ~ Geb Kiros (M,48)
- 32:38 ~ Paul Guyas (M,37)
- 32:49 ~ Terance Keenan (M,50)
- 33:02 ~ Colin Abbey (M,20)
- 33:18 ~ Joel Piotrowski (M,45)
Top Ten Women, 2015 Miller Landing Madness 8K
- 38:07 ~ Jane Skalski (F,30)
- 39:22 ~ Victoria Richmond (F,25)
- 40:00 ~ Emma Spencer (F,34)
- 42:16 ~ Beverly Hamilton (F,37)
- 42:40 ~ Deborah Congdon (F,45)
- 42:44 ~ Sarah Craig (F,20)
- 43:02 ~ Kelly Garland (F,44)
- 43:12 ~ Sarah Monbarren (F,29)
- 43:51 ~ Nancy Moody (F,31)
- 44:07 ~ Martha Bademan (F,31)
In the period leading up to the Miller Landing Madness, Roger Schmidt was preparing for the Berlin Marathon later in the fall.
"The volume of training for the marathon is crazy," said Schmidt.
The mileage did nothing to hurt Schmidt's race. In the 5K, James McClure also had a twist to his training. The Maclay sophomore is taking weight training as his P.E. class. However that may affect his running during cross country season this fall, it didn't harm his performance in the Miller Landing Madness. McClure won the race in 18:16, running five seconds faster than in the 2014 Miller Landing Madness 5K. To get the win, McClure had to outkick another Maclay cross country runner, junior Jake Mazziotta. Mazziotta was second in 18:17. Maclay frosh Clay Milford placed third in 18:24. The top master runner in the 5K was Michael Martinez, 11th overall in 19:26.
Maclay junior Caroline Willis also improved on her 2014 Miller Landing Madness performance. Taking the women's title for the second year in a row, Willis finished 20th overall in 20:33, 40 seconds faster than her previous year's time. Maclay junior cross country runner Molly McCann was the second female finisher in the 5K, coming in 52nd overall in 22:40. Taylor County High senior Meagan Giddens (57th, 23:07) edged Wakulla junior Haleigh Martin (58th, 23:09) for the third female spot.
207 athletes finished the 5K.
Top Ten Men, 2015 Miller Landing Madness 5K
- 18:16 ~ James McClure (M, 16)
- 18:17 ~ Jake Mazziotta (M, 17)
- 18:24 ~ Clay Milford (M, 15)
- 18:33 ~ Bryce Cole (M, 17)
- 18:42 ~ George Gwynn (M, 17)
- 19:15 ~ Clayton Carlson (M, 15)
- 19:17 ~ Joshua Liles (M, 16)
- 19:21 ~ Moritz Busch (M, 16)
- 19:25 ~ Alex Smythe (M, 16)
- 19:26 ~ Dylan Peebles (M, 15)
Top Ten Women, 2015 Miller Landing Madness 5K
- 20:33 ~ Caroline Willis (F,16)
- 22:40 ~ Molly McCann (F,16)
- 23:07 ~ Meagan Giddens (F,17)
- 23:09 ~ Haleigh Martin (F,16)
- 23:25 ~ Rachel Rumana (F,16)
- 23:39 ~ Connie Lewis (F,17)
- 23:53 ~ Jainey Coates (F,14)
- 24:03 ~ Kate Chunka (F,32)
- 25:00 ~ Blessing Nkembo (F,16)
- 25:18 ~ Summer Hill (F,16)
Joseph Ashebo of Holy Comforter Episcopal was an early leader in the Miller Landing Madness 3K, with Swift Creek Middle School eighth-grader Alyson Churchill pushing him. Maclay School eighth-grader Johnny McClure overtook both of them, then went on to win the race in 11:14. Florida State University School seventh grader Jahaz Morgan took second in 11:25. Alyson Churchill was the first female finisher, placing third in 11:34--the fastest girls' time ever in the Miller Landing Madness 3K. Swift Creek eighth-grader Megan Churchill was the second girl across the finish line, coming in ninth overall in 11:52.
205 athletes finished the 3K.
Top Ten Males, 2015 Miller Landing Madness 3K
- 11:14 ~ Jonathan McClure (M,13)
- 11:25 ~ Jahaz Morgan (M,12)
- 11:39 ~ Morgan Castano (M,13)
- 11:43 ~ Hunt Deison (M,13)
- 11:50 ~ Trey Jackson (M,14)
- 11:51 ~ Joseph Ashebo (M,13)
- 11:51 ~ Jackson Roberts (M,13)
- 11:59 ~ Weston Blake (M,12)
- 11:59 ~ Brecht Heuchan (M,13)
- 12:00 ~ Spencer Amsellem (M,14)
Top Ten Females, 2015 Miller Landing Madness 3K
- 11:34 ~ Alyson Churchill (F,13)
- 11:52 ~ Megan Churchill (F,13)
- 12:01 ~ Emily Molen (F,13)
- 12:30 ~ Lindsay James (F,12)
- 12:46 ~ Tonie Morgan (F,11)
- 12:54 ~ Avery Smith (F,13)
- 13:04 ~ Elizabeth Calabro (F,13)
- 13:05 ~ Caitlin Wilkey (F,13)
- 13:16 ~ Maia Mast (F,13)
- 13:42 ~ Olivia Dean (F,12)
|Miller Landing Madness Winners, 2008 - 2015|
|30 August 2008||8K||28:57, David Altmaier||32:49, Sheryl Rosen||76|
|5K||17:12, Austin Stevens||18:46, Jana Stolting||110|
|3K||11:21, Will Henderson||13:14, Autumn Wable||73|
|29 August 2009||8K||28:05, Chris Lake||33:03, Sarah Docter-Williams||151|
|5K||18:17, Austin Stevens||18:17, Jana Stolting||243|
|3K||11:26, Chase Harris||12:04, Cecelia Williams||136|
|28 August 2010||8K||26:28, Kevin Cook||33:29, Sheryl Rosen||168|
|5K||17:15, Patrick Swain||19:22, Stefanie Kurgatt||160|
|3K||11:14, Wil Luca||13:30, Madeline Horgan||110|
|27 August 2011||8K||25:54, Kevin Sullivan||32:17, Sheryl Rosen||236|
|5K||16:59, Jacob Slupecki||20:14, Stefanie Kurgatt||212|
|3K||11:08, Evan Francis||12:59, Cheyenne Hildinger||157|
|25 August 2012||8K||27:50, Vince Molosky||36:36, Jane Johnson||190|
|5K||16:32, Joseph Garcia||19:12, Stefanie Kurgatt||258|
|3K||10:57, Jake Mazziotta||12:16, Adrianna Dugan||148|
|24 August 2013||8K||26:29, Will Stanford||35:11, Katie Showman||150|
|5K||16:55, Joseph Garcia||19:20, Emily Ness||237|
|3K||10:48, James McClure||12:20, Chase Merrick||135|
|23 August 2014||8K||28:26, Chris Lake||35:26, Brittney Barnes||154|
|5K||17:09, Joe Garcia||21:13, Caroline Willis||172|
|3K||11:33, Jonathan McClure||12:34, Alyson Churchill||173|
|22 August 2015||8K||28:45, Roger Schmidt||38:07, Jane Skalski||126|
|5K||18:16,James McClure||20:33, Caroline Willis||207|
|3K||11:14, Jonathan McClure||11:34, Alyson Churchill||205|
|The Miller Landing Madness was preceded in history by the Miccosukee Madness (2004-2007)|
and the Tom Brown Bash (1977-2003) races.
- Complete results of the 2015 Miller Landing Madness at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2015 Miller Landing Madness
- 8K and 5K, Part 1: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10106596379728993.1073742114.5215641&l=712dcf1a89
- 8K and 5K, Part 2: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10106597191078043.1073742115.5215641&l=e0f9fc1633
- 3K: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10106597514814273.1073742116.5215641&l=861b10c6ec
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2015 Miller Landing Madness
- Part A: https://picasaweb.google.com/112560881455823075870/MLM_15a
- Part B: https://picasaweb.google.com/112560881455823075870/MLM_15
- 2014 story, “Lake and Barnes take Miller Landing Madness 8K”
- 2013 story, “Stanford and Showman go crazy on the competition”
- 2012 story, “Isaac a no-show at Madness, Molosky and Johnson dominate”
- 2011 story, “Sullivan and Rosen run like mad in Miller Landing 8K”
- 2010 story, “Cook and Rosen lead the Madness”
- 2009 story, “Chris Lake wins Miller Landing Madness 2009”
- Lots of upcoming races, some more mad than others