The Tallahassee chapter of Operation One Voice had staged their Fallen Heroes 5K annually from 2009 to 2011; the event was back for a fourth running in 2013 after a hiatus in 2012. After waiting an extra year for the race, the competitors had to wait another 25 minutes while the start was delayed. At 8:25 AM, though, the fourth Fallen Heroes 5K was under way. Stanley Linton, a second-year NROTC midshipman at Florida State University, seized the lead and kept going. Linton had finished second in the Fallen Heroes 5K in 2011, but he was having none of that this time. At the 1600 meter mark Linton was almost 200 meters up on the next runner, Tony Guillen, but he kept pushing. Running solely against the clock, Linton made it to the finish line in 15:45, a record for the Fallen Heroes 5K and possibly the fastest time ever run on the Maclay Gardens course. Master runner Guillen followed almost three minutes later in 18:31. Cole Tessier was third in 19:40 and master runner Michael Labossiere finished fourth in 20:46.
Like Linton, Jillian Heddaeus had run in the 2011 Fallen Heroes 5K. There she had finished tenth in the women's standings. In this year's race Heddaeus led the women's field from the start, shadowing Tony Guillen in the early going. About 1600 meters into the race Heddaeus was a little over half a minute ahead of the next woman in the race, Vicky Droze. Heddaeus was still almost half a minute ahead with a kilometer to go, but Droze was starting to move up. Droze steadily narrowed the gap, but the distance to the finish line was decreasing as well. In the end, Heddaeus made it home before Droze could erase the lead, putting up a 21:04 to Droze's 21:11. Heddaeus' time was a new Fallen Heroes 5K record for women; both she and Droze were under the previous record of 21:38 set by Tiffany Barz in 2011. Florida State graduate student Urska Dobersek was third in the women's standings, coming in 9th overall in 22:07. Deer Lake Middle School cross-country runner Grace Jackson was the fourth female finisher, 12th overall in 22:51. The fifth female and first female master was Mary Vancore, 14th overall in 23:25.
Top Ten Men, 2013 Fallen Heroes 5K
- 15:45 ~ Stanley Linton (M, 19) Crawfordville, FL
- 18:31 ~ Tony Guillen (M, 44) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:40 ~ Cole Tessier (M, 30) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:46 ~ Michael LaBossiere (M, 47) Tallahassee, FL
- 21:19 ~ Mark Tombrink (M, 25) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:01 ~ Tom Pescatore (M, 46) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:11 ~ David Hill (M, 39) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:32 ~ H B Jackson (M, 51)
- 23:10 ~ Robert Wigen (M, 47) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:44 ~ Steven Sherward (M, 24) Tallahassee, FL
Top Ten Women, 2013 Fallen Heroes 5K
- 21:04 ~ Jillian Heddaeus (F, 30) Tallahassee, FL
- 21:11 ~ Vicky Droze (F, 38) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:07 ~ Urska Dobersek (F, 30) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:51 ~ Grace Jackson (F, 13) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:25 ~ Mary Vancore (F, 49) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:45 ~ Brittney Barnes (F, 25) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:52 ~ Jennifer Powell (F, 31) Tallahassee, FL
- 25:34 ~ Jennifer Hill (F, 40) Tallahassee, FL
- 25:50 ~ Kate Krizner (F, 9) Tallahassee, FL
- 26:36 ~ Mary Burr (F, 25) Tallahassee, FL
|Winners of the Fallen Heroes 5K, 2009-2013|
|1 August 2009||17:02, Christian Minor||22:07, Olivia Swedberg||164|
|4 September 2010||18:27, Robert Abellera||23:50, Karima Anderson||140|
|13 August 2011||17:14, Gary Droze||21:38, Tiffany Barz||232|
|7 September 2013||15:45, Stanley Linton||21:04, Jillian Heddaeus||94|
|The 2009 Fallen Heroes 5K was run on a slightly long course in Tom Brown|
The 2010-2013 races were run in Maclay Gardens State Park.
There was no Fallen Heroes 5K in 2012.
- Complete results of the 2013 Fallen Heroes 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2013 Fallen Heroes 5K
- 2011 story, "Droze and Barz fly to firsts at Fallen Heroes 5K"
- 2010 story, "Abellera and Anderson prevail at Fallen Heroes 5K"
- 2009 story, "2009 Fallen Heroes Run, Tallahassee, Florida"
- North Florida Chapter, Operation One Voice
- Use the Trouble Afoot! calendar to help plan your fall racing schedule!