"It was a freaky race," said Lin. "My PR before was 38:18 and I ran 36:52."
Master runner Guillen finished runner-up in 37:07. Micah Adriani took the women's title, placing third overall in 41:05. Jennifer Shafer was the first woman master, 17th overall in 47:11.
It was a gray and sunless Saturday morning in Southwood for the race. Even though an overnight rain had stopped, a cold mist still hung in the air. The weather didn't prevent over 500 athletes from showing up in Southwood that morning, though. After an 8:00 AM one-mile fun run was over, the 10K and a 5K started at 8:30 AM on Esplanade Way. By a mile into the race Tony Guillen was leading the 10K field, with Reikan Lin six seconds back. Guillen widened that lead during the first half of the race, getting as much as 20 seconds ahead. During the second half, though, Lin started to close the gap. On Schoolhouse Road, with about a mile and a half to go, Lin had pulled to within seven seconds. He realized that he had a chance of catching Guillen.
On Grove Park Drive with less than a mile left in the race, Reikan Lin passed Tony Guillen. Driving for home, Lin pulled away. Back on Esplanade Way he crossed the finish line first in 36:52, a Red Shoe Run record. Guillen followed in 37:07, the first master runner. The next male across the line was Wakulla High junior Travis Parks, fifth overall in 41:40.
The top women preceded Parks, though. Early in the race, Micah Adriani, Jillian Heddaeus, and Renee Cox shared the lead in the women's competition. During the second half of the 10K Adriani pulled away. Cox was left far behind, but Heddaeus managed to stay within shouting distance. Literally shouting distance, as it turned out.
"I wasn't sure where to go," recalled Adriani. "I had to call back to Jillian and ask, 'Which way?'"
The two athletes managed to find their way to the finish line, Adriani in 41:06 and Heddaeus next in 41:15. Renee Cox was the third woman finisher, sixth overall in 42:35.
Top Ten Men, 2014 Red Shoe Run 10K
- 36:51.99 ~ Reikan Lin (M, 24)
- 37:06.92 ~ Tony Guillen (M, 45)
- 41:39.68 ~ Travis Parks (M, 18)
- 43:21.59 ~ Dewey Hudson (M, 42)
- 44:35.97 ~ Michael La Bossiere (M, 47)
- 44:59.85 ~ John Hunt (M, 46)
- 45:58.35 ~ Mark Tombrink (M, 26)
- 46:10.73 ~ David Plack (M, 44)
- 46:10.85 ~ Karl Waller (M, 52)
- 46:37.73 ~ Roy Mack Crews (M, 50)
Top Ten Women, 2014 Red Shoe Run 10K
- 41:05.79 ~ Micah Adriani (F, 36)
- 41:14.30 ~ Jillian Heddaeus (F, 31)
- 42:34.85 ~ Renee Cox (F, 26)
- 47:10.10 ~ Jennifer Shafer (F, 46)
- 47:37.61 ~ Nicole Reichenbach (F, 24)
- 49:45.29 ~ Angela Roberts (F, 32)
- 49:49.36 ~ Erica Boccumini (F, 21)
- 50:14.86 ~ Danielle Shelton (F, 32)
- 50:18.61 ~ Mallory Brooks (F, 30)
- 50:54.61 ~ Gee Wilson (F, 56)
In the 5K Crawfordville master runner Duane Evans set the early pace. Late in the first mile, Tallahassee's Thomas Parker passed Evans, going on to win the 3.1-mile race in 19:14. Behind Parker, Lisa Johnson and Adriana Piekarewicz dueled for the women's title. The two ran side by side during the first half of the race. In the second half, Johnson, who had won the Red Shoe Run 5K in 2012, left Piekarewicz behind. Johnson finished second overall in 19:20, the top woman in the race. Piekarewicz was third overall in 19:28. Placing fourth overall in 19:54, Duane Evans was the first master in the 5K.
Top Ten Men, 2014 Red Shoe Run 5K
- 19:13.27 ~ Thomas Parker (M, 31)
- 19:53.48 ~ Duane Evans (M, 46)
- 20:18.55 ~ Thor Swanson (M, 13)
- 20:37.80 ~ Max Eastman (M, 14)
- 20:48.39 ~ Frankie Lapiana (M, 25)
- 20:55.30 ~ Kevin Brumfield (M, 42)
- 21:04.97 ~ Shane Varn (M, 25)
- 21:25.66 ~ Camilo Ordonez (M, 35)
- 21:41.68 ~ Michael Cipriano (M, 56)
- 21:57.40 ~ Justin Swartz (M, 27)
Top Ten Women, 2014 Red Shoe Run 5K
- 19:19.37 ~ Lisa Johnson (F, 32)
- 19:27.67 ~ Adriana Piekarewicz (F, 25)
- 22:52.46 ~ Layla Thompson (F, 9)
- 24:18.36 ~ Jennifer Hall (F, 40)
- 25:28.24 ~ Fran McLean (F, 56)
- 25:42.26 ~ Caity Wrenn (F, 22)
- 26:08.25 ~ Erika Robinson (F, 27)
- 26:12.72 ~ Cindi Goodson (F, 50)
- 26:16.31 ~ Melissa Suchocki (F, 41)
- 26:22.48 ~ Karen Smith (F, 39)
The Red Shoe Run benefits the Ronald McDonald House charities of Tallahassee. All event proceeds are used for program services to pediatric patients and their families at Tallahassee's Ronald McDonald House. Ronald McDonald Houses across the country provide temporary residence for families of children receiving hospital treatment.
|Ronald McDonald House Tallahassee Red Shoe Run winners, 2012-2014|
|28 April 2012||10K||38:48, Eric Godin||46:15, Susan Williams||111|
|5K||19:27, Paul Guyas||18:09, Lisa Johnson||250|
|27 April 2013||10K||36:57, Peter Van Brussel||46:40, Shannon Colavecchio||170|
|5K||17:00, Joseph Garcici||21:57, Andrea Duffy||400|
|19 April 2014||10K||36:52, Reikan Lin||41:06, Micah Adriani||162|
|5K||19:14, Thomas Parker||19:20, Lisa Johnson||275|
- Complete results of the 2014 Red Shoe Run at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2014 Red Shoe Run
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2014 Red Shoe Run
- 2012 story, "Godin and Williams strap on their racing shoes for Red Shoes"
- Look for more races featuring colorful shoes on the Trouble Afoot! race calendar