|Daniel Hamilton leading Dustin Reynolds|
The 3.1-mile race started from the Swine Time Fairgrounds at 8:30 AM. Dustin Reynolds, a senior on the Seminole County High cross-country team, darted into the lead. Daniel Hamilton was just a few steps back, though. Hamilton, a Chattanooga resident, was someone who just might have something to teach a young distance runner.
“I coach cross-country at Lafayette High,” said Hamilton. “It’s my first coaching job. My first job out of grad school, really.”
At the halfway point of the race the runners turned around to retrace the route back to the fairgrounds. Reynolds was five seconds ahead of Hamilton at that turn, but Hamilton started to eat into that lead during their return trip. By the three-kilometer mark, Hamilton had drawn nearly even with Reynolds. During the final kilometer Hamilton pulled slightly ahead. After taking the final corner on the course, the runners had less than 100 yards to go. Reynolds dashed ahead, but Hamilton answered his surge and regained the lead. The two crossed the line at full speed, with Hamilton first in 17:25 and Reynolds second in 17:26.
“That was all I had,” said Coach Hamilton. “I’m more of an ultra-runner. I just finished the JFK 50-Mile.”
|Daniel Hamilton chases Dustin Reynolds|
Indeed, Hamilton had placed 21st in that Washington, DC race only seven days earlier, running the 50 miles in six hours and 57 minutes.
Reynolds hadn’t been idle before the Swine Time, either, placing fourth in the Georgia High School State Cross-Country Meet on 4 November 2016. He was racing at Apalachee Regional Park in Tallahassee on 19 November 2016 at the USATF Junior Olympic Cross-Country Regional, where he qualified for the next round of competition.
“I’ve got Nationals in Hoover, Alabama next week,” said Reynolds.
Myles Gibson of Donalsonville, Georgia was the top master in the race, placing third overall in 18:53.
Amber Braswell made sure that the women’s competition was less exciting. The Swine Time women’s champ in 2015, Braswell successfully defended her title, placing fourth overall in 20:17 and finishing close to half a mile ahead of the next woman in the race. Darla Castoro of Bainbridge, Georgia was the first woman master and second female finisher in the race, placing eighteenth overall in 25:12. Bainbridge master runner Suzanne Angell was third in the women's standings and twentieth overall in 25:48.
Awards for the winners were medals bearing the likeness of recently retired journalist Joe Crine. Crine’s face also appeared on the back of the T-shirt that each entrant of the race received. For more than four decades, Crine had covered Swine Time for the Bainbridge Post-Searchlight. Crine and his notebook were a regular sight at the Swine Time Road Race as well as the Pine Run and every other race and sports event in Decatur County.
Top Ten Men, 2016 Swine Time 5K
- 17:25, Daniel Hamilton (M, 28) Chattanooga, TN
- 17:26, Dustin Reynolds (M, 17) Gibson, GA
- 18:53, Myles Gibson (M, 50) Donalsonville, GA
- 21:21, John Coleman (M, 34) Decatur, GA
- 21:54, Mason Ard (M, 13)
- 21:55, Paul Hodge (M, 55) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:19, Allen Notkin (M, 55) Cooper City, FL
- 22:35, Simon Dowdy (M, 14) Milledgeville, GA
- 22:51, Paul Hoover (M, 66) Crawfordville, FL
- 23:06, Jay Herring (M, 58) Jacksonville, FL
- 23:09, David Braswell (M, 45) Bainbridge, GA
Top Ten Women, 2016 Swine Time 5K
- 20:17, Amber Braswell (F, 21) Bainbridge, GA
- 25:12, Darla Castoro (F, 53) Bainbridge, GA
- 25:48, Suzanne Angell (F, 50) Bainbridge, GA
- 27:09, Anda Ariail (F, 42) Orlando, FL
- 27:27, Juli DeGrummond (F, 47) Tallahassee, FL
- 28:28, Shannon Angle (F, 43) Climax, GA
- 28:29, Lesli McQuigg (F, 46) Saint Simons Island, GA
|Recent winners of the Climax, Georgia, Swine Time 5K|
|25 November 1978||31:17, Bret Watzka (10K)||42:59, Nancy Smith (10K)|
|24 November 1979||(advertised as a 5K)|
|28 November 1981||(10K)|
|27 November 1982||16:24, Paul Hodge (5K)|
|26 November 1983||(10K, Oak City Runners)|
|29 November 1986||(10K, rainy)|
|28 November 1987||(10K, cloudy)|
|26 November 1988||36:02 (10K)|
|28 November 1992||(5K)|
|25 November 2000||17:43, Greg Waddell||22:55, Judy Alexander|
|26 November 2005|
|25 November 2006|
|24 November 2007|
|29 November 2008||17:27, Caleb Alte||22:46, Mandi O'Mara|
|28 November 2009||18:11, Isaiah Douglas||McRae Mayfield|
|27 November 2010||19:15, Caleb Alte||28:26, Annie Beauchamp Gargasz|
|26 November 2011||17:55, Michael Martinez||24:30, Dana Martin|
|24 November 2012||17:04, Chase Harris||20:21, Dionis Gauvin|
|30 November 2013||19:54, Evan Beauchamp||23:36, Julie Genovar|
|29 November 2014||17:40, Evan Beauchamp||23:48, Julie Genovar|
|28 November 2015||17:50, Evan Beauchamp||20:24, Amber Braswell|
|26 November 2016||17:25, Daniel Hamilton||20:17, Amber Braswell|
- Complete results of the 2016 Swine Time 5K at gulfwinds.org
[ COMING SOON! PLEASE CHECK BACK! ]
- More photos of the 2016 Swine Time 5K
- 2015 story, “Evan Beauchamp makes it three in a row at the Swine Time 5K”
- 2014 story, “Beauchamp and Genovar repeat at Swine Time”
- 2013 story, “No hogwash--Beauchamp and Genovar win at Swine Time”
- 2011 story, “Martinez and Martin go whole hog at Swine Time”
- Upcoming races in Florida's Big Bend, southwest Georgia, and southeast Alabama