Saturday, 25 February 2017, was the date of DeSoto Trail Elementary School's fifth annual Trailblazer 5K Run For Literacy. It rained just enough that morning for the streets to be wet during the race. Tad David was there. But this time, so was Florida A & M University Biostatistics professor Geb Kiros, and Kiros won the race in 18:33. Alyssa Terry was the women's champ, placing eighth overall in 22:01.
The race started from the Tallahassee, Florida school at 8:30 AM. The runners charged into the neighborhood next to the school, with Geb Kiros leading that charge. By the end of the first mile Kiros was over half a minute ahead of the next runner, Gary Johnston. Tad David was a few more steps back. A light rain spattered the runners.
"The fresh asphalt with some rain in the second mile certainly had an effect," commented Kiros.
Nevertheless Kiros continued to pull away from the field, going on to an 18:33 win. Tad David overtook Gary Johnston during the final mile to take second in 20:18, while Johnston was third in 20:35.
Kiros had run the Trailblazer 5K before in 2015; this was his second time competing in the event. For Alyssa Terry, though, it was her first Trailblazer 5K.
"I moved here a year-and-a-half ago," explained Terry. "This is my second year of running Gulf Winds Track Club events. I never know where I'm running in these races."
Lack of familiarity with the area was no handicap to Terry in the Trailblazer 5K. She finished about 600 meters ahead of the next woman in the race.
"I thought it would be a nice course to run," Terry said about her decision to race the Trailblazer. "It was a nice course. I ran my PR today."
Loranne Ausley was the first woman master and second female finisher in the race, coming in 25th overall in 24:57. Master runner Heather Conn was third in the women's standings and 27th overall in 25:04.
212 athletes finished the 2017 Trailblazer 5K. After the race, another 137 finished a one-mile fun run. Proceeds of the race go to support the media center at DeSoto Trail Elementary School. Gulf Winds Track Club chip-timed the race.
Top Ten Men, 2017 Trailblazer 5K
- 18:33, Geb Kiros (M, 50)
- 20:18, Tad David (M, 48)
- 20:35, Gary Johnston (M, 42)
- 20:42, T J Devlieger (M, 54)
- 21:47, Kevin Brumfield (M, 45)
- 21:50, Rich Heitmeyer (M, 36)
- 21:57, Davis McNeeley (M, 11)
- 22:16, Eric Stupski (M, 28)
- 22:36, Garth Connelly (M, 53)
- 22:57, Nathan Streety (M, 9)
Top Ten Women, 2017 Trailblazer 5K
- 22:01, Alyssa Terry (F, 23)
- 24:57, Loranne Ausley (F, 53)
- 25:04, Heather Conn (F, 45)
- 25:39, Ella Hodges (F, 12)
- 25:44, Fran McLean (F, 59)
- 25:48, Darcy Brinkmann (F, 36)
- 27:50, Emily Webster (F, 37)
- 28:39, Jenn Powell (F, 35)
- 28:39, Kyrsten Gennah (F, 10)
- 29:13, Liliana Broadway (F, 20)
|DeSoto Trail Elementary School Trailblazer 5K winners, 2013 - 2017|
|23 February 2013||18:53, Tad David||23:53, Elizabeth Squires||123|
|11 January 2014||20:05, Thomas Konrad||25:17, Debbie Peters||100|
|31 January 2015||16:54, Jack Redwing||19:39, Katie Sherron||278|
|30 January 2016||18:35, Paul Guyas||22:15, Kate Chunka||179|
|25 February 2017||18:33, Geb Kiros||22:01, Alyssa Terry||212|
- Complete results of the 2017 Trailblazer 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2017 Trailblazer 5K
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2017 Trailblazer 5K
- 2016 story, “Guyas and Chunka prove the swiftest Trailblazers”
- 2015 story, “Redwing and Sherron send the Trailblazer records to blazes”
- 2014 story, “Konrad and Peters splash to Traiblazer 5K titles”
- 2013 story, “Blazing trails for David and Squires at Trailblazers 5K”
- USATF course certification map FL14085EBM for the 2017 Trailblazer 5K
- Find your next 5K or longer run on the Trouble Afoot! race schedule