Still, bad things can happen during a run. They have. The FSU Medical Response Unit has already saved the life of at least one runner, so you'd have to say that campus races are that much safer because of the MRU.
However you stand on the safety question, it is beyond dispute that on Sunday morning, 19 February 2017, master runner Gary Droze won the Medical Response Unit's own race, the eighth annual Run For Your Life 5K. The cross-country coach for Tallahassee Community College, Droze covered the 3.1-mile course around Florida State University's Tallahassee campus in 17:46, finishing almost 400 meters ahead of the next runner. It was Droze's second Medical Response Unit 5K win; he had also won the race in 2015.
Brian Prisbe, a first-year Florida State student and alumnus of the Sante Fe High track team, was runner-up in the race with a 19:15. Matthias Laywell took third in 19:30. Laywell, also a first-year FSU student, formerly ran cross-country for John Paul II High in Tallahassee.
Lauren Aronson took the women's title, placing fourth overall in 19:59--the fastest time by a woman in the annual Medical Response Unit 5K since 2013. Aronson ran cross-country at Parkland (Florida) Douglas High from 2011 to 2014, going on to run with the Florida State cross-country team in 2015. Stacy Biggart was the second woman and seventeenth overall in 23:15. Deirdre McCarthy edged Laura Sellati for the third in the women's standings, 23:37 to 23:40. McCarthy was twentieth overall and Sellati 23rd.
201 athletes finished the race.
Top Ten Men, 2017 FSU Medical Response Unit 5K
- 17:45.27, Gary Droze
- 19:14.54, Brian Prisbe
- 19:29.32, Matthias Laywell
- 20:02.41, Ronald Mackenzie
- 21:34.52, Hector Clemente
- 21:41.80, Morgan Levine
- 22:10.59, Nate Stapp
- 22:16.41, Hank Jackson
- 22:21.67, Nathan Steineck
- 22:22.37, Michael LaBossiere
Top Ten Women, 2017 FSU Medical Response Unit 5K
- 19:58.54, Lauren Aronson
- 23:14.74, Stacy Biggart
- 23:36.17, Deirdre McCarthy
- 23:39.49, Laura Sellati
- 24:08.26, Lyssa Oberkreser
- 25:28.39, Lori Finn
- 25:49.59, Stacey Crump
- 25:56.02, Francee Laywell
- 26:14.73, Susan Piroth
- 26:22.83, Kristin Magrini
|FSU Medical Response Unit 5K winners, 2010 - 2017|
|20 January 2010||17:40, Raley Beggs||19:14, Katherine McMeekin||68|
|29 January 2011||17:47, Matt Bulecza||21:54, Kellie Gerbers||58|
|21 January 2012||17:53, Connor Stevens||22:53, Kate Harrison||67|
|26 January 2013||18:08, Connor Stevens||18:33, Sheryl Rosen||88|
|25 January 2014||20:27, Michael LaBossiere||21:36, Sheryl Rosen||22|
|22 February 2015||17:01, Gary Droze||23:39, Kaitlin Early||81|
|21 February 2016||16:55, Grady Smith||20:30, Sheryl Rosen||129|
|19 February 2017||17:46, Gary Droze||19:59, Lauren Aronson||201|
- Complete results of the 2017 FSU Medical Response Unit 5K at gulfwinds.org
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2017 FSU Medical Response Unit 5K
- 2016 story, “A swift Sunday for Smith and Rosen at the Medical Response Unit 5K”
- 2015 story, “Droze and Early grab wins at the FSU Medical Response Unit 5K”
- 2014 story, “LaBossiere and Rosen reign at Medical Response Unit 5K”
- 2012 story, “Stevens and Harrison first at First Responders 5K”
- 2011 story, “Bulecza and Gerbers respond well to competition at FRU 5K”
- 2010 story, “Victory for Beggs, McMeekin at First Responders 5K”
- Keep track of upcoming races in the Tallahassee region at Trouble Afoot!