The Women's Distance Festival series of races was started by the Road Runners Club of America to celebrate women's running. To that end, the RRCA recommends that Women's Distance Festival races either be "women's only" events or have a separate starting wave for the women. Tallahassee follows the second plan, and the ladies started on Indianhead Drive at 8:00 AM, with the men starting five minutes later. As the runners headed north past Optimist Park Katie Sherron and Alyson Churchill were in the lead, closely followed by Jillian Heddaeus, Megan Churchill, Emma Spencer, and Lily Unger. Soon, though, it was just Katie Sherron, the FSU economics professor, and Alyson Churchill, the Swift Creek Middle School cross country runner. And by halfway through the race it was all Sherron.
"It was good. Alyson was pushing me early on," said Sherron. "After that I wanted to run faster, but I didn't have anyone to follow except Vince on the pace bike. I ran pretty even splits, though."
Running steadily, Sherron still ran fast enough to build up a lead of over 300 meters and win the race in 18:53, her fastest time since turning an 18:40 in the Palace Saloon 5K in April. Alyson Churchill placed second in 20:12, and Jillian Heddaeus was third in 20:41. Each of the first three women ran faster than the previous year's winning time of 20:45. Not far off that mark, Swift Creek cross country runner Megan Churchill ran 21:09 for fourth, and Jane Skalski was fifth in 21:42. 89 women finished the five-kilometer race.
Once the women started, the men had a short wait before taking off after them on the course. Leading the pursuit were Zach DeVeau and Geb Kiros.
"Geb stayed with me through the first mile," recalled DeVeau. "Then I put some ground on him during the second mile."
"I stayed with Zach till the mile mark," agreed Kiros, a Florida A & M University professor. "I didn't want to get passed by the guys behind us, though, so I backed off."
Kiros was right to worry. Jay Wallace and Peter Kaus weren't that far behind. Pacing himself judiciously, though, Kiros kept them behind, and while DeVeau marched on to win in 17:08, Kiros hung on to second place in 17:44. Wallace ran away from Kaus to take third in 17:54. Kaus was fourth in 18:10.
"I'm getting ready for the Savannah Half Marathon," said DeVeau after the race. "I've about doubled my training mileage."
It hasn't hurt his racing.
76 men finished the 2015 Tallahassee Women's Distance Festival 5K.
Top Ten Women, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2015 Women's Distance Festival
- 18:52.76 ~ Katie Sherron (F, 33)
- 20:11.76 ~ Alyson Churchill (F, 13)
- 20:40.74 ~ Jillian Heddaeus (F, 32)
- 21:08.51 ~ Megan Churchill (F, 13)
- 21:41.24 ~ Jane Skalski (F, 30)
- 22:03.29 ~ Laura McDermott (F, 35)
- 22:17.72 ~ Emma Spencer (F, 34)
- 22:27.49 ~ Melissa Zyla (F, 18)
- 22:33.56 ~ Nikky Manausa (F, 34)
- 22:36.17 ~ Katie Sack (F, 23)
Top Ten Men, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2015 Women's Distance Festival
- 17:07.97 ~ Zach DeVeau (M, 27)
- 17:43.48 ~ Geb Kiros (M, 49)
- 17:53.76 ~ Jay Wallace (M, 51)
- 18:09.22 ~ Peter Kaus (M, 31)
- 18:19.40 ~ Michael Martinez (M, 49)
- 18:30.77 ~ Tony Guillen (M, 46)
- 18:37.21 ~ Joel Piotrowski (M, 46)
- 18:41.50 ~ Jack McDermott (M, 46)
- 18:45.52 ~ Brian Molen (M, 39)
- 19:07.75 ~ Paul Guyas (M, 37)
|Tallahassee Women's Distance Festival 5K Champions, 1982 - 2015|
|24 July 1982||20:14, Cheryl Jennings||No Boys Allowed|
|23 July 1983||18:33, Barbara Balzer||No Boys Allowed|
|21 July 1984||18:11, Barbara Balzer||No Boys Allowed|
|20 July 1985||19:11, Barbara Balzer||15:24, Herb Wills|
|19 July 1986||18:20, Janice Hochstein||16:32, Rick Miller|
|18 July 1987||18:54, Janice Hochstein||15:47, Rick Miller|
|16 July 1988||17:58, Michele Farrell||15:09, Jessie Close|
|15 July 1989||17:20, Sue Addison||15:09, Jessie Close|
|14 July 1990||18:50, Janice Hochstein||15:38, Gary Droze|
|13 July 1991||18:51, Angie Crook||15:18, Gary Droze|
|11 July 1992||17:36, Paula Johnson||15:09, Gary Droze|
|17 July 1993||18:00, Lynda Nilges||15:45, Steve Wilcox|
|1 October 1994||18:06, Jane Johnson||15:46, Andy Palmer|
|7 October 1995||17:47, Jane Johnson||15:40, Gary Droze|
|5 October 1996||18:41, Tracy Pepoon||16:34, Tim Simpkins|
|4 October 1997||17:13, Sarah Docter-Williams||16:20, Tim Simpkins|
|3 October 1998||18:02, Sarah Docter-Williams||16:36, Tim Simpkins|
|2 October 1999||17:31, Sarah Docter-Williams||15:37, Lee Willis|
|7 October 2000||19:18, Kingsley Broughton||16:26, Art Remillard|
|6 October 2001||19:13, Kate Remillard||18:06, Reid Vannoy|
|2 November 2002||20:27, Mari Leitner||16:33, Nate Timm|
|1 November 2003||18:52, Kara Newell||17:39, Justin Dickieson|
|6 November 2004||18:09, Sarah Docter-Williams||17:24, Art Remillard|
|5 November 2005||21:38, Lydia Veal||18:16, Jimmy Graham|
|7 October 2006||18:36, Sheryl Rosen||17:55, Tim Unger|
|15 September 2007||19:02, Sheryl Rosen||17:04, Jay Wallace|
|20 September 2008||18:52, Lisa Johnson||17:29, David Altmaier|
|19 September 2009||19:00, Kelsey Scheitlin||16:34, John Robida|
|18 September 2010||18:39, Lisa Johnson||16:34, Vince Molosky|
|17 September 2011||17:11, Jackie Drouin||15:00, Kevin Sullivan|
|15 September 2012||17:06, Georgia Peel||16:03, Chris Rego|
|14 September 2013||16:51, Kayleigh Tyerman||15:58, Stanley Linton|
|20 September 2014||20:45, Anna Busby||16:45, Roger Schmidt|
|19 September 2015||18:53, Katie Sherron||17:08, Zach DeVeau|
- Complete results of the 2015 Tallahassee Women's Distance Festival 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of GWTC's 2015 Tallahassee Women's Distance Festival 5K
- Fred Deckert's photos of GWTC's 2015 Tallahassee Women's Distance Festival 5K
- 2014 story, “Anna Busby gets a Women's Distance Fest win in the Indianhead hills”
- 2013 story, "Tyerman lowers Women's Distance Festival 5K record to 16:51"
- 2012 story, "Georgia Peel runs 17:06 at Women's Distance Festival 5K"
- 2011 story, "Drouin runs a record 17:11 at Women's Distance Fest 5K"
- 2010 story, "Lisa Johnson wins big at the Tallahassee Women's Distance Festival"
- 2009 story, "Scheitlin, Robida Take Tallahassee Women's Distance Fest Titles"
- USATF course certification map for the 2014 Tallahassee Women's Distance Festival 5K
- Upcoming races within a 100-mile drive of Tallahassee, Florida's running capital