The race started just after 8:30 AM from Killearn United Methodist Church. The competitors would return to the church for the finish line and post-race pancakes and sausage, but not before five hilly kilometers of running. The trek started with the field heading north on Shamrock Street West. Not quite a kilometer into the race, Duane Evans moved into the lead. During the second kilometer Tad David moved up to into second behind Evans, with David Welling and Philip Sura following.
The first half of the Shamrock Scurry course is punctuated by major downhills, but the second half is all about major uphills. The most severe comes near the three kilometer mark. Evans continued to lead at that point, but Welling had passed David to move into second, while Sura was challenging for third.
"I started easy and picked it up," recalled Sura, a Florida State University meteorology professor. "I started behind David Welling and Tad David and got them before the finish. I couldn't get Dwayne, though."
Nor did he. One kilometer before the finish the runners reach Pancake Hill, the last climb before the finish line and the post-race pancake breakfast. Evans reached the foot of Pancake Hill first, but Sura had closed to within ten seconds. Neither runner gave ground on that final uphill. Sura continued to narrow the gap on the final stretch, but was never near enough to challenge Evans. Back at the church Evans was first in 19:51 and Sura second in 19:56, with Welling third in 20:03 and David fourth in 20:12.
Pancake Hill also featured in an episode in Emma Spencer's race.
"Right before the last hill someone told me there was a woman just six or seven feet behind me," said Spencer. "So I really pushed it after that."
Someone fibbed. Spencer had led the women's field since midway through the second kilometer, and reached the slopes of Pancake Hill more than a minute before the next woman. That lead didn't diminish on the way to the finish line; Spencer returned to the church in 22:47 with the women's title. Crystal Anderson was second in the women's standings, 34th overall in 24:12. Rachida Porter was the first woman master and third female finisher, 45th overall in 25:22. Julia Sura was fourth on the women's side, 46th overall in 25:36.
The Shamrock Scurry has a long history in Killearn. From 1981 to 1996 the race was held annually at Killearn United Methodist Church on a course close to the one used today. After an eight-year hiatus the race was revived on a series of courses that started at Celebration Baptist Church from 2004 to 2008. The Scurry disappeared again in 2009, but came back in 2010, returning to Killearn UMC. Since then the race has gone on every year on the present course, Pancake Hill and all. With those final seven years that makes a total of 28 races. If the fans of running, pancakes, and sausage have anything to say, there will be many more years to come.
Top Ten Men, 2016 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- 19:51 ~ Duane Evans (M, 48)
- 19:57 ~ Philip Sura (M, 45)
- 20:03 ~ David Welling (M, 31)
- 20:12 ~ Tad David (M, 47)
- 20:45 ~ Mark Tombrink (M, 28)
- 21:08 ~ James Duggan (M, 12)
- 21:22 ~ Felton Wright (M, 58)
- 21:43 ~ Scott Heffley (M, 25)
- 21:48 ~ Dan Manausa (M, 46)
- 21:53 ~ Tyron Slack (M, 26)
Top Ten Women, 2016 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- 22:47 ~ Emma Spencer (F, 35)
- 24:12 ~ Crystal Anderson (F, 30)
- 25:22 ~ Rachida Porter (F, 41)
- 25:36 ~ Julia Sura (F, 44)
- 25:46 ~ Marisol Townsend (F, 38)
- 26:03 ~ Nora Amato (F, 15)
- 26:10 ~ Donalee Lomprez (F, 29)
- 26:36 ~ Katie Townsend (F, 33)
- 26:42 ~ Kristen Knapp (F, 45)
- 27:14 ~ Karissa Starling (F, 12)
|Known Shamrock Scurry 5K winners, 1981 - 2016|
|13 March 1982||17:05, Paul Hodge||21:22, Cathy Shuler|
|12 March 1983||15:35, Adam Pinkston||19:21, Cheryl Jennings|
|17 March 1984||16:19, Bobby Shackleford||17:42, Nellie Orr|
|16 March 1985||14:35, Jeff Wentworth||19:20, Angie Crook|
|15 March 1986||15:33, David Keen||18:42, Janice Hochstein|
|7 March 1987||15:21, Richard Corbett||18:15, Janice Hochstein|
|12 March 1988||16:01, Bill Crooks||19:59, Robin Tanner|
|11 March 1989||15:57, Bill Crooks||19:32, Yvonne Gsteiger|
|17 March 1990||15:39, John Charlton||20:07 Jane Henderson|
|16 March 1991||15:32, Gary Droze||19:15, Vikki Saga|
|14 March 1992||15:53, Jessie Close||17:50, Paula Johnson|
|8 May 1993|
|19 March 1994||15:17, Robin Rogers||18:38, Jane Johnson|
|18 March 1995|
|13 March 2004||16:02, Ryder Leary||16:44, Sinead Evans|
|5 March 2005||16:29, Matthew Dobson||19:21, Breeda Willis|
|18 March 2006||18:21, Michael Martinez||20:10, Jennifer Emo|
|17 March 2007||15:43, Joey Zins||21:55, Jun Inoue|
|15 March 2008||14:47, Mark Carroll||16:55, Barbara Parker|
|13 March 2010||17:25, Jay Wallace||21:03, Anna Busby|
|12 March 2011||18:14, Peter Kaus||19:35, Sheryl Rosen|
|10 March 2012||16:27, Stephen Cox||19:43, Carrie Seiberlich|
|9 March 2013||16:13, Stanley Linton||20:38, Mary Anne Grayson|
|8 March 2014||15:44, Stanley Linton||19:48, Katie Sherron|
|14 March 2015||16:30, Chris Lake||20:45, Emily Molen|
|12 March 2016||19:51, Duane Evans||22:47, Emma Spencer|
|Originally scheduled for March 13, the 1993 race had to be|
postponed because of a severe winter storm.
The Shamrock Scurry was held from Killearn UMC from 1981
The Shamrock Scurry was not held from 1997 to 2003.
From 2004 to 2008 the Shamrock Scurry was held from
Celebration Baptist Church.
The Shamrock Scurry was not held in 2009.
From 2010 to 2016 the Shamrock Scurry was held from Killearn
- Complete results of the 2016 Shamrock Scurry 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2016 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- Part 1: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10107331554622613.1073742175.5215641&l=e2b31896a2
- Part 2: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10107332280897153.1073742176.5215641&l=f32c5032f4
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2016 Shamrock Scurry
- Part 1: https://picasaweb.google.com/112560881455823075870/Scurry16_mile
- Part 2: https://picasaweb.google.com/112560881455823075870/Scurry5K_16
- 2015 story, “Lake and Molen were in a hurry at the Scurry”
- 2014 story, “Linton and Sherron score at the Scurry”
- 2013 story, “Linton and Grayson first up 'Pancake Hill'”
- 2012 story, “Cox and Seiberlich rock the Shamrock”
- 2011 story, “No 'Luck of the Irish' needed for either Kaus or Rosen at Scurry”
- 2010 story, “Wallace and Busby Scurry to Wins”
- USATF course certification map of the Shamrock Scurry 5K (FL10021EBM)
- Find your next race in the Tallahassee region on the Trouble Afoot! calendar