That was Ethan Mines' problem on Saturday morning, 27 February 2016, at the Strides For Scholars 5K in Panama City, Florida. The Mosley High senior had already won the 2015 edition of the annual race. How do you improve on that? Mines' solution was to not only win the race again, but to also set a new event record of 16:19, breaking the old record of 16:38 set by Jordan Lance in 2013.
Mosley sophomore Ella Swigler came to the starting line with a similar problem; she had won the Strides For Scholars 5K women's title in 2014 and 2015. However, Swigler had already set the women's record for the event, a 19:35 she ran in her first win in 2014. So at the 2016 race, Swigler settled for chalking up her third win in a row in the women's division, placing seventh overall in 21:28.
Mosley wasn't the only Bay County school represented in the 5K. Rutherford High senior Corey Pilson finished second overall, running 17:44. The 3.1-mile race wasn't limited to high school athletes, either. Tracey Burch proved that; the Panama City master runner was third overall in 18:46.
Mosley High senior Erin France edged Kim Allan 23:40 to 23:42 for second in the women's standings; the two athletes placed 17th and 18th overall. Allan was the top woman master in the race.
333 athletes finished the 2016 Strides For Scholars 5K, with another 14 completing a one-mile fun run. The event raises funds to benefit the Take Stock In Children scholarship and mentoring program for local children. The next Strides For Scholars is scheduled for Saturday morning, 25 February 2017.
Top Ten Men, 2016 Strides For Scholars 5K
- 16:19 ~ Ethan Mines (M, Open)
- 17:44 ~ Corey Pilson (M, 15–19)
- 18:46 ~ Tracey Burch (M, 45–49)
- 20:47 ~ Ivan DeLaCruz (M, 10–14)
- 20:52 ~ Jared Sylvester (M, 15–19)
- 21:12 ~ Alan Swigler (M, 60–64)
- 21:31 ~ Tyson Marlow (M, 15–19)
- 21:50 ~ Mike Barr (M, 55–59)
- 22:22 ~ Nicolas Waddell (M, 10–14)
- 22:45 ~ Nicholas Musser (M, 15–19)
Top Ten Women, 2016 Strides For Scholars 5K
- 21:28 ~ Ella Swigler (F, Open)
- 23:40 ~ Erin France (F, 15–19)
- 23:42 ~ Kim Allan (F, 45–49)
- 23:52 ~ Savannah Suggs (F, 15–19)
- 24:14 ~ Jeanette Swigler (F, 45–49)
- 25:42 ~ Sue Cottrill (F, 50–54)
- 25:59 ~ Debbie Chitwood (F, 45–49)
- 26:23 ~ Krystal Sheeran (F, 30–34)
- 26:42 ~ Pam Owen (F, 55–59)
- 26:52 ~ Ann Talkington (F, 50–54)
|Strides For Scholars 5K winners, 2012 - 2016|
|25 February 2012||17:44, Slade Ward||21:36, Katie Carroll||356|
|23 February 2013||16:38, Jordan Lance||24:36, Kathryn Underall||208|
|15 February 2014||18:28, Corey Pilson||19:35, Ella Swigler||307|
|28 February 2015||16:55, Ethan Mines||20:54, Ella Swigler||411|
|27 February 2016||16:19, Ethan Mines||21:28, Ella Swigler||333|
- Complete results of Bay Education Foundation's 2016 Strides For Scholars 5K
- 2015 story, “Mosley Dolphins Mines and Swigler do some fast striding at Strides For Scholars”
- Bay Education Foundation
- Find upcoming races benefiting education and other causes on the Trouble Afoot! calendar