January in Tallahassee is typically a few truly frosty days separated by periods that belong more to summer or fall. Winter is an on-again-off-again season in North Florida, and it was definitely off on the morning of the Bowlegs 5K. The race started under clear skies and mild temperatures just after 9:00 AM. By the end of the first half mile the lead belonged to Vince Molosky and master runner Geb Kiros, with Wakulla High junior Scott Lloyd trailing. After the first mile, though, it was all Molosky.
"At the mile mark Geb and I were pretty close," said Molosky. "He put in a little surge going up the hill near there but I pulled away on the downhill."
"The first mile was very fast, under 5:10," said Kiros, a Florida A & M University biostatistics professor. "I had to back off after that."
During the second mile, the runners headed south on Dirac Drive then made a U-turn and returned north.
"At the turnaround I looked," said Molosky. "I thought I had enough ground on Geb, but the guy in third was moving up."
The "guy in third" was Scott Lloyd. After falling more than 100 meters behind the leaders during the first mile Lloyd was starting to narrow the gap on Kiros. Molosky, though, didn't need to look back again. He crossed the finish line in a winning 16:57 with a lead of nearly 200 meters. Kiros held off Lloyd to take second, 17:39 to 17:43. Eric Godin placed fourth in 18:05.
Tallahassee lawyer Sheryl Rosen grabbed the lead over the rest of the women's field early in the race, finishing the first mile eight seconds before Brittney Barnes. Katie Sack trailed Barnes, with Katie Sherron farther behind. Rosen remained unchallenged for the rest of the race, finishing as women's champ in 18:55. Rosen never had to look back, but if Barnes and Sack had spared a glance over their shoulder they might have seen Sherron coming. The Florida State University economics professor moved up during the latter two miles of the race, overtaking Sack and then Barnes and even taking a few seconds off of Rosen's overwhelming lead. Sherron ended up second in the women's standings and sixth overall in 19:32. Barnes was the third woman and eleventh overall in 20:06, while Sack was the fourth woman and twelfth overall in 20:17. Paula O'Neill was the top woman master for the third time in the last four years, the sixth female finisher and twentieth overall in 22:33. It was the seventh year in a row that O'Neill had raced the Bowlegs 5K.
105 athletes finished the 2017 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship. Gulf Winds Track Club chip timed the event. Proceeds of the race benefit the scholarship fund of the Florida State University Faculty and Friends Club.
Top Ten Men, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2017 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship
- 16:57, Vince Molosky (M, 37)
- 17:39, Geb Kiros (M, 50)
- 17:43, Scott Lloyd (M, 16)
- 18:07, Eric Godin (M, 32)
- 19:36, Brian Molen (M, 40)
- 19:43, Michael Peymann (M, 54)
- 19:58, Zach Deveau (M, 29)
- 20:03, Travis Parks (M, 20)
- 20:21, Tim Unger (M, 57)
- 21:23, David Welling (M, 32)
Top Ten Women, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2017 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship
- 18:55, Sheryl Rosen (F, 32)
- 19:32, Katie Sherron (F, 35)
- 20:06, Brittney Barnes (F, 29)
- 20:17, Katie Sack (F, 25)
- 21:42, Nikky Manausa (F, 35)
- 22:33, Paula O'Neill (F, 55)
- 22:58, Michelle Hadden (F, 27)
- 23:36, Kory Skrob (F, 46)
- 23:38, Nancy Stedman (F, 55)
- 24:07, Birgit Maier-Katkin (F, 54)
|Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship winners, 1985 - 2017|
|16 February 1985||16:44, Scott Hinkle||18:48, Darien Andreu||153|
|15 February 1986||16:12, Rick Miller||20:00, Janice Hochstein||150|
|7 February 1987||15:54, Randy Jordan||20:00, Sarah Patterson||186|
|13 February 1988||16:05, Rick Miller||20:02, Janice Hochstein||220|
|4 February 1989||15:44, Rick Miller||20:02, Barbara Balzer||165|
|10 February 1990||17:28, Felton Wright||19:30, Paula Johnson||112|
|16 February 1991||16:15, Bill Crooks||20:37, Tina Davies||67|
|15 February 1992||15:51, Mike Macinko||18:37, Paula Johnson||81|
|20 February 1993||15:33, Gary Droze||19:33, Carrie Hunnicutt||143|
|19 February 1994||16:02, Phillip Healy||22:18, Chateau Mangaroo||83|
|18 February 1995||15:41, Reid Montini||18:09, Jane Johnson||158|
|17 February 1996||16:12, Tim Simpkins||19:33, Janice Hochstein||77|
|15 February 1997||15:45, Gary Droze||18:20, Jane Johnson||163|
|14 February 1998||16:23, Damian Wilson||17:47, Sarah Docter-Williams||104|
|13 February 1999||15:57, Robert Pautenius||16:54, Breeda Dennehy-Willis||77|
|12 February 2000||15:49, Aaron Scheer||20:42, Laurel Slyck||83|
|10 February 2001||16:48, Gary Droze||18:18, Sarah Docter-Williams|
|9 February 2002||16:20, Thomas Kunish||20:20, Allison Eagen||77|
|8 February 2003||16:56, Paul Orfield||21:15, Fran McLean||76|
|21 February 2004||17:06, Adam David Churchill||18:21, Breeda Dennehy-Willis||82|
|15 January 2005||17:42, Art Remillard||18:10, Sarah Docter-Williams||72|
|14 January 2006||16:43, Shawn Patterson||19:22, Stephanie Liles||152|
|20 January 2007||17:37, Matt Mizereck||19:02, Sheryl Rosen||109|
|19 January 2008||16:32, Tripp Southerland||21:39, Carly Thomas||121|
|10 January 2009||17:59, Tim Unger||20:09, Micah Adriani||117|
|9 January 2010||17:21, Stephen Cox||21:01, Lauren Switzer||84|
|8 January 2011||16:38, Vince Molosky||19:26, Sheryl Rosen||204|
|7 January 2012||17:10, Stanley Linton||19:27, Katie Showman||166|
|5 January 2013||16:12, Stanley Linton||20:19, Katie Showman||110|
|18 January 2014||15:46, Stanley Linton||19:18, Lisa Johnson||168|
|10 January 2015||16:08, Stephen Cox||18:35, Sheryl Rosen||132|
|9 January 2016||16:41, Nate Kaiser||19:00, Ani Veltcheva||201|
|14 January 2017||16:57, Vince Molosky||18:55, Sheryl Rosen||105|
|From 1985 to 1994 the Bowlegs 5K was run on the main campus of Florida State University,|
starting and finishing near Tully Gym, on USATF certified course FL88014BH.
From 1995 to 2017 the Bowlegs 5K was run in Innovation Park, starting and finishing near
the College of Engineering on USATF certified course FL95008DL. The course was later
recertified with number FL12001EBM.
- Complete results of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2017 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2017 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship
- Fred Deckert's photos of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2017 Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship
- 2016 story, “Kaiser and Veltcheva breeze to victory at Bowlegs”
- 2015 story, “Cox and Rosen heat up the roads at a cool Bowlegs”
- 2014 story, “Linton and Johnson have fast legs at Bowlegs 5K”
- 2013 story, “Repeat wins for Linton and Showman at Bowlegs 5K”
- 2012 story, “Linton and Showman open 2012 with wins at Bowlegs”
- 2012 advance story, “In Tallahassee, 2012 distance running starts at Bowlegs”
- 2011 Bowlegs, “Molosky and Rosen start 2011 racing right at Bowlegs 5K”
- 2010 story, “Cox and Switzer winners at a chilly Bowlegs 5K”
- USATF course certification map FL12001EBM, Bowlegs 5K Run For Scholarship
- Looking for your next road race in the Tallahassee region? Try here!