The morning was cool and cloudless, conditions perfect for Chamber of Commerce photos, or for running a road race. The race started at 8:10 AM on Monroe Street in front of the Leon County Courthouse. As in the 2016 race, Matt Mizereck of Capital City Runners went right to the front. This time Vince Molosky went with him, and the pair set a torrid early pace. As the two leaders finished the first mile, Jacob Robbins of Westlake High in Saratoga Springs, Utah followed in their wake, as did Tallahassee triathlete Charlie Johnson. Much farther back, Chris Haynes trailed in fifth.
"I think they were 5:04 at the first mile," said Haynes. "I was 5:16."
The first mile had included a steep descent to Franklin Boulevard. The second mile saw the runners climb into the Myers Park hills. That was when Charlie Johnson grabbed the lead. Johnson was just two weeks away from racing the Boston Marathon, and that figured into his race plan at Springtime.
|The leaders near the mile mark|
"I really want to push it today," Johnson said before the race. "Rather than hanging back and picking people off like I usually do. I think I can be recovered in time for Boston."
Feeling the effects of the fast early pace, Molosky and Mizereck faded as the race entered the Myers Park neighborhood. Johnson became the new front runner, but Chris Haynes was coming.
"I knew the course was hilly and I had never run it before," said Haynes. "So I kept the first mile under control and tried to run even splits. There was a pack of four guys ahead of me at the mile mark. I began to pick them off one by one after the first mile, and I passed the last one about 5K."
|Matt McCurdy and Chris Haynes|
Haynes hit the 5K mark in 16:33, five seconds ahead of Johnson. Haynes ran the second half of the race even faster, running the final 5K in 16:18 as he posted a winning time of 32:51. Johnson was second in 33:39. While Haynes was moving up from fifth to first, Matt McCurdy moved up from sixth to third, then held on to finish third in 34:45. Jacob Robbins was fourth in 35:07, Molosky fifth in 35:16, and Mizereck sixth in 35:59. Mickey Moore was the fastest master runner in the race, placing eighth overall in 36:37.
The 2017 race would be the last Springtime 10K directed by Amanda and Sean Hudson. Tom Perkins, a former Springtime race director, was at the starting line in 2017 chatting with Ani Veltcheva.
"Before the race this guy asked me my best 10K time," recalled Veltcheva. "I told him I had run 38:11 at the Rose City Run in Thomasville. He said his best time on this course was 37:45. I thought, okay, I'm going to break 37:45."
Once the race was under way, though, Veltcheva discovered that the the Tallahassee course was a bit more challenging than the one she had run the previous year in Thomasville.
"There was one hill at the Rose City Run they called 'Heartbreak Hill,'" the Abraham Lincoln Middle School student explained. "And that was a tough hill. But here, every time I went around a corner, there was a hill just as tough."
Veltcheva was tougher than the topography, though. She led the women's field from start to finish and finished eleventh overall, meeting her pre-race goals with a 37:21, her best 10K yet. Just two weeks earlier, Veltcheva had run her best 5K time, a 17:17 at the Clermont Waterfront Parkrun. That mark was also the single-age world record for twelve-year-old girls.
"I was hoping I could win today," said Katie Sherron. "But I'll take second place to a world-record holder any day."
|Katie Sherron and Sheryl Rosen|
Sherron and two-time Springtime women's champ Sheryl Rosen fought for that runner-up spot through most of the first half of the race. Just before the 5K mark, Sherron opened a gap on Rosen, then widened that gap on the way to the finish line. Sherron took second in the women's standings and seventeenth overall in 38:49. Rosen was the third woman and 23rd overall with a 39:28. Katie Sack (29th, 41:25) placed fourth on the women's side and Carrie Seiberlich (36th, 41:57) fifth. Donnelly Howard of Mobile, Alabama was the top woman master and sixth female finisher, 38th overall in 41:57.
Top Ten Men, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2017 Springtime 10K
- 32:51, Christopher Haynes (M, 24) Tallahassee, FL
- 33:40, Charlie Johnson (M, 37) Tallahassee, FL
- 34:45, Matthew McCurdy (M, 24) Tallahassee, FL
- 35:07, Jacob Robbins (M, 17) Saratoga Springs, UT
- 35:16, Vince Molosky (M, 37) Tallahassee, FL
- 35:59, Matt Mizereck (M, 25) Tallahassee, FL
- 36:22, Chris O'Kelley (M, 23) Tallahassee, FL
- 36:37, Mickey Moore (M, 47) Tallahassee, FL
- 37:04, Jim Halley (M, 37) Tallahassee, FL
- 37:14, Connor Stevens (M, 26) Marietta, GA
Top Ten Women, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2017 Springtime 10K
- 37:21, Ani Veltcheva (F, 12) Gainesville, FL
- 38:49, Katie Sherron (F, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 39:28, Sheryl Rosen (F, 32) Tallahassee, FL
- 41:25, Katie Sack (F, 25) Tallahassee, FL
- 41:57, Carrie Seiberlich (F, 45) Tallahassee, FL
- 41:58, Donnelly Howard (F, 40) Mobile, AL
- 42:53, Ann Centner (F, 25) Blakely, GA
- 43:20, Christine Trice (F, 24) Tallahassee, FL
- 43:43, Jillian Heddaeus (F, 33) Tallahassee, FL
- 43:58, Lauren Aronson (F, 20) Tallahassee, FL
For the tenth year in a row, a Springtime 5K was contested at the same time as the Springtime 10K. Havana, Florida athlete Nick Loffer successfully defended his 2016 title in the shorter race, running 18:36. Eleven-year-old Patrick Koon was the overall runner-up with a 19:18. Also running 19:18. Bryan Koon was the first master runner and third overall.
|Seconds after the start|
Shannon Turner of Fort Lauderdale, Florida was the first woman in the 5K, twelfth overall in 20:53. Jenna Flemons edged Channel Jordan for second in the women's standings, 21:05 to 21:06. Flemons and Jordan were fourteenth and fifteenth overall. Francee Laywell was the first woman master and fourteenth female finisher, 50th overall in 25:44.
909 athletes finished the 2017 Springtime 10K. Another 582 finished the 5K, and 83 completed the kids' mile. Gulf Winds Track Club chip-timed all three races.
Top Ten Men, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2017 Springtime 5K
- 18:36, Nick Loffer (M, 33) Havana, FL
- 19:18, Patrick Koon (M, 11) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:18, Bryan Koon (M, 45) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:33, Donald Kunish (M, 41) Tallahassee, FL
- 19:34, Andrew Treat (M, 30) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:02, Michael Martinez (M, 51) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:17, Philip Culver (M, 21) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:22, Filippo Aldrovandi-Reina (M, 12) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:39, Bryce Redfern (M, 22) Tallahassee, FL
- 20:46, Jesse Dyer (M, 28) Monticello, FL
Top Ten Women, Gulf Winds Track Club's 2017 Springtime 5K
- 20:53, Shannon Turner (F, 18) Fort Lauderdale, FL
- 21:05, Jenna Flemons (F, 19) Tallahassee, FL
- 21:06, Channel Jordan (F, 32) Tallahassee, FL
- 21:59, Kate Harrison (F, 25) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:18, Rebecca Landry (F, 19) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:23, Lisa Johnson (F, 35) Tallahassee, FL
- 22:51, Sarah Miller (F, 19) Jacksonville, FL
- 23:00, Kristi McPherson (F, 19) Jacksonville, FL
- 23:40, Haleh Rush (F, 15) Tallahassee, FL
- 23:55, Alysa Malcolm (F, 23) Atlanta, GA
|Springtime 10K Champions, 1976 - 2017|
|1 April 2017||32:51, Christopher Haynes||37:21, Ani Veltcheva||909|
|2 April 2016||34:06, Roger Schmidt||39:09, Adriana Piekarewicz||942|
|28 March 2015||32:59, Stephen Cox||37:30, Sheryl Rosen||986|
|29 March 2014||32:03, Kevin Sullivan||38:09, Seeley Gutierrez||716|
|6 April 2013||31:42, Kevin Sullivan||36:05, Stefanie Slekis||993|
|31 March 2012||33:29, Chris Lake||37:33, Lindsay Zeiler||905|
|2 April 2011||32:34, Chris Lake||34:52, Pasca Cheruiyot||934|
|27 March 2010||33:09, Chris Lake||38:23, Sheryl Rosen||850|
|28 March 2009||35:00, David Altmaier||38:34, Lisa Johnson||658|
|29 March 2008||31:59, Joey Zins||38:16, Sarah Docter-Williams||820|
|31 March 2007||33:27, Matthew Dobson||37:23, Lara Shaw||867|
|1 April 2006||33:25, Joey Zins||34:36, Vicky Gill||663|
|2 April 2005||32:43, Joey Zins||36:51, Sarah Docter-Williams||758|
|3 April 2004||33:22, Caleb Carmichael||37:03, Sarah Docter-Williams||694|
|5 April 2003||30:56, Joseph Zepherinus||34:52, Larisa Timchina||634|
|6 April 2002||31:18, Conor Holt||36:40, Larisa Timchina||732|
|31 March 2001||32:18, Muchapiwa Mazano||34:46, Tatyana Maslova||717|
|1 April 2000||32:28, Muchapiwa Mazano||36:05, Anna Pichrtova||770|
|27 March 1999||30:56, Muchapiwa Mazano||37:01, Sarah Docter-Williams||681|
|4 April 1998||31:07, Randy Hollinger||34:09, Breeda Dennehy||789|
|12 April 1997||31:12, Juri Punda||35:30, Tamara Karloukova||847|
|13 April 1996||32:21, Jessie Close||37:11, Jane Johnson||610|
|1 April 1995||31:43, Matthew Dobson||37:27, Jane Johnson|
|1994||32:17, Matthew Dobson||37:37, Lisa Herman|
|1993||33:11, Andy Palmer||36:54, Paula Johnson|
|1992||32:09, Jessie Close||37:38, Paula Johnson|
|1991||32:02, Jessie Close||38:29, Paula Johnson|
|1990||31:48, Jessie Close||38:16, Vikki Saga|
|1989||30:49, Paul Waldron||37:54, Janice Hochstein||827|
|1988||31:22, Paul Waldron||38:18, Karen MacHarg|
|5 March 1987||31:52, Jessie Close||35:30, Carla Borovicka||757|
|22 March 1986||31:15, Dennis Rice||37:16, Karen MacHarg|
|30 March 1985||30:30, Paul Waldron||35:32, Carole Rouillard|
|7 April 1984||30:03, Larry Greene||35:57, Carla Borovicka|
|9 April 1983||31:21, Noel Shumann||38:15, Janice Hochstein|
|3 April 1982||32:11, George West||39:56, Pam Ledbetter|
|4 April 1981||32:06, Mabry McCray||37:14, Janice Gage|
|29 March 1980||32:35, Rick Swiderski||40:02, Lisa Kinch|
|7 April 1979||33:10, David Ferrell||37:14, Janice Gage|
|1 April 1978||31:43, George West||38:03, Laura Ledbetter|
|1977||31:24, Morrison Reid||40:57, Nancy McCormac|
|24 April 1976*||20:30, George West,Donnie Cook||25:27, Janice Gage|
|* The 1976 race was a four-mile run on the FSU campus.|
- Complete results of the 2017 Springtime Road Race at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2017 Springtime 10K
- Part 1: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10109406184572563.1073742263.5215641&l=ee4c4c0d4b
- Part 2: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10109411143050733.1073742264.5215641&l=509bb2a306
- Fred Deckert's photos of Gulf Winds Track Club's 2017 Springtime Road Race
- Mile: https://plus.google.com/photos/112560881455823075870/album/6404904210715898097
- Part A: https://plus.google.com/photos/112560881455823075870/album/6405206580895121137
- Part B: https://plus.google.com/photos/112560881455823075870/album/6406396749873185265
- Ten years of Springtime 10K winners, 2007 to 2016
- 2016 story, “Schmidt and Piekarewicz score come-from-behind victories at Springtime”
- 2015 story, “Cox and Rosen conquer Springtime”
- 2014 story, “Sullivan and Gutierrez win at a soaked Springtime”
- 2013 story, “Kevin Sullivan is man of the season at the Springtime 10K”
- 2012 story, “Lake owns Springtime, makes it three wins in a row”
- 2011 story, “Laurels, not florals, for Lake and Cheruiyot at Springtime 10K”
- 2010 story, “Springtime and everything is coming up Rosen and Lake”
- 2009 story, “2009 Springtime 10K, Tallahassee, Florida”
- 2017 Springtime 10K USATF course certification map (FL11044EBM)
- 2017 Springtime 5K USATF course certification map (FL11045EBM)
- Springtime 10K / 5K / One mile website
- Find your next seasonal race by consulting the Trouble Afoot! calendar