“Perfect weather this morning!” declared Jillian Heddaeus after the race. Heddaeus ran 20:57, finishing fourth in the women's standings. Her take on the conditions was echoed by most of the athletes at the Scurry. It was an almost optimum morning for running clear skies, calm air, and cool but not cold temperatures. A few runners may have been shivering a bit when the starting siren went off a few minutes after 8:30 AM, but it didn't take much racing to cure that.
By the end of the first quarter mile Matt McCurdy, Vince Molosky, and Chris O'Kelley were out in front, having broken away from the rest of the field. Those same runners had taken the first three places at the Run For The Cookies 5K three weeks earlier. McCurdy had waited until the third mile to make his move that morning, but at the Shamrock Scurry he left Molosky and O'Kelley behind during the second mile. Then the uphills started.
|The leaders at 1500m|
“The first two miles of the race today were great,” reflected McCurdy. “The hill around mile two and the subsequent mile weren't as great!”
After starting on high ground near Killearn United Methodist Church, the Shamrock Scurry descends toward Lake Killarney for the first half of the race. After that, the runners start a series of climbs back to the church and the finish line. The first and worst of these is a hill that the runners crest at the two mile mark, the one that McCurdy mentioned. The final ascent comes with less than half a mile to go in the race--Pancake Hill.
McCurdy may not have enjoyed the hills, but he widened his lead as he climbed them. He crested Pancake Hill before any of his rivals had reached the base, then raced home to win the race in 16:38. Molosky reached Pancake Hill a few steps ahead of O'Kelley, then added a few steps more on the way to the finish line, taking second in 17:13 while O'Kelley was third in 17:19. Ryan Truchelut was fourth in 17:19. Geb Kiros was the first master runner, placing fifth overall in 17:56.
It was McCurdy’s first time running the Shamrock Scurry, but women’s champ Katie Sherron was already a veteran of the race. Sherron not only won the women’s title at the 2014 scurry, she and her husband Zach DeVeau live right in the neighborhood.
“Zach and I ran from our house this morning,” said Sherron. “About a mile to the starting line. This course isn't flat, but it's pretty and close to home so I run it frequently. Course knowledge is definitely an advantage with those mid- and end-of-race hills!”
Sherron had the competition wrapped up before those hills, though. Brittney Barnes and Sherron led the women’s field during the first mile, then Sherron made a move just before the mile mark. It was Sherron’s race after that, and she went on to claim her second Shamrock Scurry win with a 19:09. Barnes was second in the women's standings, placing 23rd overall in 20:22. Katie Sack was the third woman and 26th overall in 20:43. Stephanie Liles-Weyant was the top woman master and fifth female finisher, 32nd overall in 21:04.
634 athletes finished the 2017 Shamrock Scurry 5K, with another 167 completing a one-mile fun run. Many of the finishers enjoyed a post-race pancake and sausage breakfast served at the church. Gulf Winds Track Club chip-timed the event.
Top Ten Men, 2017 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- 16:38, Matthew McCurdy (M, 24)
- 17:13, Vince Molosky (M, 37)
- 17:19, Christopher O'Kelley (M, 23)
- 17:51, Ryan Truchelut (M, 31)
- 17:56, Geb Kiros (M, 50)
- 18:01, Jim Halley (M, 37)
- 18:13, Eric Godin (M, 32)
- 18:47, Paul Guyas (M, 39)
- 19:07, Michael Martinez (M, 51)
- 19:12, Zach Deveau (M, 29)
Top Ten Women, 2017 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- 19:09, Katie Sherron (F, 35)
- 20:22, Brittney Barnes (F, 29)
- 20:43, Katie Sack (F, 25)
- 20:57, Jillian Heddaeus (F, 33)
- 21:04, Stephanie Liles-Weyant (F, 44)
- 21:41, Alyssa Terry (F, 23)
- 21:58, Laura McDermott (F, 37)
- 22:00, Laura Reina (F, 52)
- 22:14, Monica Judd (F, 42)
- 22:17, Tylo Farrar (F, 23)
|Known Shamrock Scurry 5K winners, 1981 - 2017|
|13 March 1982||17:05, Paul Hodge||21:22, Cathy Shuler|
|12 March 1983||15:35, Adam Pinkston||19:21, Cheryl Jennings|
|17 March 1984||16:19, Bobby Shackleford||17:42, Nellie Orr|
|16 March 1985||14:35, Jeff Wentworth||19:20, Angie Crook|
|15 March 1986||15:33, David Keen||18:42, Janice Hochstein|
|7 March 1987||15:21, Richard Corbett||18:15, Janice Hochstein|
|12 March 1988||16:01, Bill Crooks||19:59, Robin Tanner|
|11 March 1989||15:57, Bill Crooks||19:32, Yvonne Gsteiger|
|17 March 1990||15:39, John Charlton||20:07 Jane Henderson|
|16 March 1991||15:32, Gary Droze||19:15, Vikki Saga|
|14 March 1992||15:53, Jessie Close||17:50, Paula Johnson|
|8 May 1993|
|19 March 1994||15:17, Robin Rogers||18:38, Jane Johnson|
|18 March 1995|
|13 March 2004||16:02, Ryder Leary||16:44, Sinead Evans|
|5 March 2005||16:29, Matthew Dobson||19:21, Breeda Willis|
|18 March 2006||18:21, Michael Martinez||20:10, Jennifer Emo|
|17 March 2007||15:43, Joey Zins||21:55, Jun Inoue|
|15 March 2008||14:47, Mark Carroll||16:55, Barbara Parker|
|13 March 2010||17:25, Jay Wallace||21:03, Anna Busby|
|12 March 2011||18:14, Peter Kaus||19:35, Sheryl Rosen|
|10 March 2012||16:27, Stephen Cox||19:43, Carrie Seiberlich|
|9 March 2013||16:13, Stanley Linton||20:38, Mary Anne Grayson|
|8 March 2014||15:44, Stanley Linton||19:48, Katie Sherron|
|14 March 2015||16:30, Chris Lake||20:45, Emily Molen|
|12 March 2016||19:51, Duane Evans||22:47, Emma Spencer|
|4 March 2017||16:38, Matthew McCurdy||19:09, Katie Sherron|
|Originally scheduled for March 13, the 1993 race had to be|
postponed because of a severe winter storm.
The Shamrock Scurry was held from Killearn UMC from 1981
The Shamrock Scurry was not held from 1997 to 2003.
From 2004 to 2008 the Shamrock Scurry was held from
Celebration Baptist Church.
The Shamrock Scurry was not held in 2009.
From 2010 to 2017 the Shamrock Scurry was held from Killearn
- Complete results of the 2017 Shamrock Scurry 5K at gulfwinds.org
- More photos of the 2017 Shamrock Scurry 5K
- Part 1: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10109234341158143.1073742259.5215641&l=2a82ac51a5
- Part 2: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10109295423708223.1073742261.5215641&l=8eb2032edf
- Fred Deckert's photos of the 2017 Shamrock Scurry
- Part 1: https://plus.google.com/photos/112560881455823075870/album/6393778519581249985
- Part 2: https://plus.google.com/photos/112560881455823075870/album/6394173851901097009
- 2016 story, “Evans and Spencer scurry to victory in the hills of Killearn”
- 2015 story, “Lake and Molen were in a hurry at the Scurry”
- 2014 story, “Linton and Sherron score at the Scurry”
- 2013 story, “Linton and Grayson first up 'Pancake Hill'”
- 2012 story, “Cox and Seiberlich rock the Shamrock”
- 2011 story, “No 'Luck of the Irish' needed for either Kaus or Rosen at Scurry”
- 2010 story, “Wallace and Busby Scurry to Wins”
- Shamrock Scurry
- USATF course certification map of the Shamrock Scurry 5K (FL10021EBM)
- Find your next race in the Tallahassee region on the Trouble Afoot! calendar